Caches "placed" prior to May 2000!!!

Team Canary

Early on, there were no limits on the placed date. Sometime (2003?) the limit became 01 Jan 1900 ( though this could be defeated with some work. )

When the cache report form (CSP) that's in use now was started (sorry, I forget when...) it limited place date to 1 year back from current date to 1 day forward (different for events of course, which are always in the future). However, the edit form still allowed back to 01 Jan 1900.

The recent update to edit form now  limits to 01 Jan 2000. And it's a colossal nuisance to get the date back, as the only way to do is by clicking the calendar one month at a time, over and over and over.. Pity that wasn't  set at say 01 Jan 2010, but this is some improvement.

• Upvote 2

Weirdness is possible I suppose if you find a cache right by the International Date Line. Suppose it is found 20 metres east of where it was hidden and published that day with the date line being 10 metres east of the original hide. Hey presto you could legitimately log it the day BEFORE it was published. And find it chronologically first but not be FTF! Etc!

19 minutes ago, Cacheism 500 said:

Weirdness is possible I suppose if you find a cache right by the International Date Line. Suppose it is found 20 metres east of where it was hidden and published that day with the date line being 10 metres east of the original hide. Hey presto you could legitimately log it the day BEFORE it was published. And find it chronologically first but not be FTF! Etc!

The international date line doesn't follow the 180th meridian; it's drawn so that it crosses no land.

Fun hypothetical though.

International_Date_Line.png