Newbie Cacher/Cursing in Logs/Fake?

bigjim4life

So I saw that a couple of caches in my Watchlist were found within minutes of each other, and I got an automatic email notification that a pair of cachers found the caches on my list.  I look at the logs and I see "cool" as each one of the logs for both users - and nothing else.  Not necessarily an automatic red flag, people can put whatever they want in a log.  Out of curiosity, I want to see if these are established geocachers - this way I know "hey, this person found it, maybe I should give it another shot, the cache is actually there", etc etc - or if they're a newbie, this is their first or second find - or if they're just spamming around, causing trouble.  I go in and see that these two people, Basic Members have found 15 caches in the last few days - some two days ago, and a whole bunch today (impressive, if they actually are caching).  But most of their logs are still one word logs, or stupid stuff.  Then I see one log with cursing in it (and suggestive language, I guess).  However, it's not for one of my caches, so I can't delete the log.

As a bystander - if I see something like this, and it raises potential red flags all over the place - what do I do?  I don't necessarily want to ignore it and move on - I feel obligated to say something or do something.

today 2 days.jpg

noob.jpg

Edited by bigjim4life
edited photo for language

There are guidelines on what you can say in the forums.  Kids read this...

If the cache isn't yours, and the CO hasn't done log maintenance, an email to Groundspeak ("Contact Us" at the bottom of all forum pages) with an explanation (GC# and "swearing in logs" is info enough...), and they'll look into it.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if you have looked for a local facebook page.  When something like this comes up we will usually post it there.  Most of the local CO's are members.  Someone will usually email the cachers and if no response someone will go check a few of there finds to see if they signed any.

The bad words in logs doesn't mean to me that they didn't find them.  If they just started they might not understand it is a bad thing.  If it was me I would just shoot them a email (if they are verified users) and say something like...  Welcome to the game!  It is very fun.  I see you are new, I just wanted to point out that my kids and other kids play this game and it is to be kept family friendly. If you could you please remove any bad words from your logs it would be great!  

If they are really caching and having fun with it I am sure they would just say sorry I didn't realize.  If they don't then  they are not someone you want to deal with anyways and report them.