Oregon 650t

Lolli&Omi

Hey, all!  

Many several years ago, I purchased an eTrex GPS and found it relatively easy to use.  Once I figured out geocaching for my iPhone, I put the Garmin away.  About six months ago, I decided that the Garmin might be a better bet than my iPhone (not that I'm complaining, but I don't know exactly what to do about caching with my phone if I don't have cell service), so I dragged out the Garmin.  It was in no shape to be used, so I permanently retired it and, after some research, purchased an Oregon 650t.  It looks so cool and I had such high hopes, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get it to talk to either of my computers.  Both are less than two years old, so all specs are up to date, and I've downloaded the required thingy from Garmin several times, but NOTHING IS WORKING.

So my question- since I can't get the crazy thing to work with my computer, can I just put coords in manually?  And can I use the blasted thing in remote places like Rocky Mtn NP, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, etc, that have little to no cell service?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'd sure appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks!!

Lolli

You plug it into the computer via the USB cable and if it shows up as a mounted drive, it's talking to your computer.

Now, it may not "talk" to websites because today's browsers don't support the communicator plugin. But geocaches are downloaded as gpx files and simply go in the <device name or drive letter>/Garmin/GPX folder. You can do this individually from each cache page by clicking on the "download GPX" button, but I recommend that you download caches in bulk using pocket queries and/or lists.

Additionally, some folks find it useful to manage geocaches with a 3rd party program such as GSAK (windows) or iCaching (mac). Both programs will also let you bulk-import and update caches with pocket query downloads and direct API access. They'll also bulk load the caches onto your GPS, including using the GGZ format, which can make your GPS load and run faster when loading tens of thousands of caches.

The point is that the geocaches are just files stored on your device, and your GPS, when plugged into the computer, will connect as if it were an external hard drive or thumb drive. You can read and write to it accordingly. The "Send to GPS" button used to automate that process using the now defunct communicator plugin, but it's just as easy to download files and save them directly to your GPS. 

2 hours ago, Lolli&Omi said:

So my question- since I can't get the crazy thing to work with my computer, can I just put coords in manually?  And can I use the blasted thing in remote places like Rocky Mtn NP, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, etc, that have little to no cell service?

You can manually save waypoints.  It's good to get familiar with how to do that.  Here's a cool video about it.

But Mineral2's suggestions are good ideas.  One thing you might try is make several Pocket Queries, such as in the parks where you have no cell service.  Send those to the GPS (up to 1000 caches in each PQ) and you're golden.  Another cool option is to use "Lists" based on cache search results.  Make lists of various areas.  Use Garmin Express (not to be confused with Garmin Communicator), and for each list there is a menu item to "Send To Garmin" (not to be confused with "Send To My GPS").  The Geocaching.com Help Center has more info.

Plug the Oregon into a USB port and you must wait for the PC to recognize it.  When all is well, the GPS screen changes to a USB connection screen and the PC sees the GPS as a drive.  Does that happen in your case?

I have an Oregon 650T and have it pretty much figured out, so if you need specific steps, let me know.

Edited by kunarion
2 hours ago, Lolli&Omi said:

Sure.  I've put coordinates into a hand held manually since starting.   GPS uses satellites, so as long as you're not underground, you're  good.    ;)

While you're studying up on PQs, GPX, GZZ, GSAK, and Send to Garmin, "manually" should be fine for now.   :)

My 650t won't communicate with my laptop either. It did when I first got it, but quit for some reason. I have been manually putting in coords by using 'Mark Waypoint' and then editing it before saving it. So while I hope to help answer your question, I have one of my own since it was mentioned-Does GSAK work if you're not a Premium Member?

Thanks, SmokeyBear#1

On 2/10/2018 at 7:07 PM, Lolli&Omi said:

Hey, all!  

Many several years ago, I purchased an eTrex GPS and found it relatively easy to use.  Once I figured out geocaching for my iPhone, I put the Garmin away.  About six months ago, I decided that the Garmin might be a better bet than my iPhone (not that I'm complaining, but I don't know exactly what to do about caching with my phone if I don't have cell service), so I dragged out the Garmin.  It was in no shape to be used, so I permanently retired it and, after some research, purchased an Oregon 650t.  It looks so cool and I had such high hopes, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get it to talk to either of my computers.  Both are less than two years old, so all specs are up to date, and I've downloaded the required thingy from Garmin several times, but NOTHING IS WORKING.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'd sure appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks!!

Lolli

FYI, there is a ton of useful "How To" info at GPSrChive.com for your Oregon 6x0 GPSr!