Obsolete / Discontinued Cache Types in Statistics

The Snowdog

There are some caches and cache types that we will never see again - the Block Parties, the Lost and Found event cache and celebration, locationless/reverse caches, GPS Adventure Exhibit... if you didn't get it while you could, you will forever have to stare at a zero on that line. Forever. So why list them at all if you don't have any finds and can never have any finds in that category? 

Disclaimer - planning to log an Ape cache while there are still two out there :)

13 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

There are some caches and cache types that we will never see again - the Block Parties, the Lost and Found event cache and celebration, locationless/reverse caches, GPS Adventure Exhibit... if you didn't get it while you could, you will forever have to stare at a zero on that line. Forever. So why list them at all if you don't have any finds and can never have any finds in that category? 

Disclaimer - planning to log an Ape cache while there are still two out there :)

History plays a big part, not just stats.  Seeing them there may have a newer person "look it up",  to see what part of the hobby's history they've (so far) missed out on.  But, now that the site has been into the stat part of the hobby as well, maybe they're just left there to remind folks that if they don't participate in whatever marketing gimmick's on now, they may lose it forever.  :)

I'd like to hit an ape sometime as well.  I'd probably go for the resurrected one rather than the one recently "found".

On 2/10/2018 at 10:10 AM, cerberus1 said:

I'd like to hit an ape sometime as well.  I'd probably go for the resurrected one rather than the one recently "found".

Ah.  That's the reason that Andy Bear and I went on out vacation to AC, DC and WVa in 2005!  Well, we found lots of great caches!  And visited an Internet friend.  But it was Mission 7: Crab Creek (Project APE) that took us on that vacation!  

5 hours ago, -KROP- said:

Never say never. APE caches increased by 100% and a whole new bunch of new virtuals were released. GCHQ might change their mind and hold a block party in the future and Lost & Found might be back for the 20 year celebration in 2020...

You may be right, but I'd hope that the site realizes that with stats so important to many these days, having the ones others don't  (lost n found, block, locationless...) is a big deal.  It wouldn't be a big deal any longer if everybody could just get a "recycled version" again.  We see this often asked for by newer members (thinking they missed out I guess...).

I'd think those "obsolete/discontinued" cache types are the reward for members who've been here awhile...   :)

Edited by cerberus1