clearing up virtual confusion for me

Cachesaurous

Hello
I need some help clearing this up.  

If someone sees a trackable code on the internet, log photo or wherever and log it, what happens.    
what is this called and is it acceptable, or frowned upon? is this what they call discovered? 
i have seen some comments with logs about this happening with mixed opinions and I do not understand if its bad or what effect it has on the trackable.

Whad to i do if i see a trackable code on someones car?

I have new official trackable tags i hope to release into the world soon and this is something i wish to understand first. 

Thank you

Some people will log a trackable as "Discovered" if the code is seen online somewhere. Often a new trackable owner will ask about people logging Discovered on their trackable still in their possession, and why ... to find they posted the code in a picture on the Trackable's page.        

In the Help Center section on trackables, it does read, " To post “Discover” logs without physically interacting with the trackable is discouraged by Geocaching.com. However, some trackable owners enjoy a large number of logs, even if they are virtual logs" , so it seems the site realizes that since the trackables belong to someone, they can do sorta what they wish.  If obvious fake logs and it bugs you, delete it.

Some Discover logs are simply folks looking for codes to bulk up a "count", maybe for some stat side-game.  Others (like me) will Discover a trackable if they can't move it along, but would like to let the Trackable Owner (TO) know that it's still safe n sound, or there's a logging error from another. Just a short while ago, a person was bringing trackables to events.  They weren't logged as having them in their possession (all still listed in caches).  The TO would probably like to know that.  :)

When you see a trackable code on a car, you can log it Discovered wherever you spotted it (we see most at events).  That's why the TO placed it there, to be Discovered.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Caitandjay23 said:

If someone sees a trackable code on the internet, log photo or wherever and log it, what happens.    
what is this called and is it acceptable, or frowned upon? is this what they call discovered? 

It's called armchair logging. Most people consider it silly or worse. A few people do it all the time. People in the first group try to keep their codes from getting into any pictures to prevent the second group from filing invalid logs.

"Discover" is the log type for when you see a trackable but don't take it with you. The classic example is seeing a trackable in a cache or at an event and leaving it there, but it's also the log you should use when you see a trackable car. Since people filing armchair logs never even have trackable in their hands, they never take it with them, so they always also log discovers.

• Upvote 2