GPS recomendations

3papagee

Right guys

weve had our Etrex 10 for 5 years and it's been fantastic, never let us down its been spot on, but we are looking to upgrade to a GPS that has great maps, good battery power, coloured display and maybe a little larger screen. Can anyone suggest a replacements?

thanks in advance guys.

Just about every GPS on the market fits your description*. The eTrex 10 is an introductory level unit, really aimed at schools and educational programs who want to buy cheap units in bulk.

The eTrex 20x and 30x will give you everything you ask for in a familiar interface, though I believe the screen size is the same as the 10, it's certainly a higher resolution.

The gpsMap 64 series will give you a larger screen and a button interface. The Oregon series will give you a larger screen and a touch screen interface. 

* when you say "good battery power," you mean longer battery life? All of the handhelds run off of 2 AA batteries (except for the Montana, which uses 3).  The eTrex 10 doesn't have a large storage capacity and only has a low resolution monocolor screen, and as such doesn't have a very powerful processor. It actually has the longest battery life of all the Garmin gps units. But regardless of what GPS you use, you'll find better battery life if you use rechargeable batteries (Eneloop, for example) instead of regular alkalines. You'll get the best battery life with the non-rechargeable lithium AAs, but they're not cheap. Rechargeables are definitely the way to go.

** Good maps come extra. But no need to buy maps as there is a strong community of people producing fine maps for free to install on a Garmin device.

Edited by Mineral2
18 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

How do I get geocaches to show on the map for the eTRex 30x?

That's a pretty vague and open-ended question, and doesn't seem related to this discussion. You might get more help if you start a new discussion and give more detail about your issue (I assume you're running into an issue of some sort?). For example, do you have any caches loaded onto the device, are they showing up in the list but not on the map, etc.

2 hours ago, The A-Team said:

That's a pretty vague and open-ended question, and doesn't seem related to this discussion. You might get more help if you start a new discussion and give more detail about your issue (I assume you're running into an issue of some sort?). For example, do you have any caches loaded onto the device, are they showing up in the list but not on the map, etc.

Ah.  Sorry.  My eTrex 30 died, so I got an eTrex 30X.  Caches and maps were loaded,but the caches did not show up on the map.  My geeky kid brother helped me.  I would never have figured it out.  Now I just need to make the cache icons a bit bigger...