Cache owner log checks

bayoumiss

He is well known for deleting logs which haven't been signed as well as pumping out D5 caches which is it hasn't been signed it's fair do's to delete, I am just confirming what I read in the guidelines when i signed up and that nothing has changed on this subject.

There are plenty of other caches I can solve and find and first time I have ever used the ignore feature so I don't waste my time if he does it again.

Edited by lisboa_bruno

Message I got after my log was deleted:

--------------------------------------
I'll remove your log for now and you can re-instate it when I've got the passwords.
Hope you understand, I'm not trying to be a d**k but I had to put the extra stage in to make sure people had actually solved it.

Edited by lisboa_bruno
language from CO message
19 minutes ago, lisboa_bruno said:

Message I got after my log was deleted:

I'll remove your log for now and you can re-instate it when I've got the passwords.
Hope you understand, I'm not trying to be a d**k but I had to put the extra stage in to make sure people had actually solved it.

Technically still not enough to delete your log. You'd still be right to have your log reinstated.

The question is - is it that important to you? Is it more important to you to have it reinstated without following through with the intent of the owner (regardless of how annoying), than to avoid stirring up a hornet's nest for a +1 smiley?  Could not reinstating the log also enable this owner to continue requiring what he doesn't have the right to require and making geocaching more of a pain or frustration for others in the future?

He says he's not "trying to be a d**k", but that just means he knows he is being one. At the same time, I understand the effort a lot of puzzle creators to through to try to block people from "cheating" their way through puzzles, and try to help them learn or have fun or just discover something new.  Personally, I know I can't require people to solve my puzzles, but I can do my darndest to thwart any efforts to circumvent the puzzles. Ultimately, if someone finds my cache without solving the puzzle, I'm not ever going to be deleting their log if they've got the sheet signed. Heck if they find a way around my explicit efforts to stop that strategy, I applaud them :P

This owner would be good to learn the same.

You just have to ask yourself - is it worth the effort? (it may be, it may not be, really not trying to make a call here ;) heh)

14 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Technically still not enough to delete your log. You'd still be right to have your log reinstated.

The question is - is it that important to you? Is it more important to you to have it reinstated without following through with the intent of the owner (regardless of how annoying), than to avoid stirring up a hornet's nest for a +1 smiley?  Could not reinstating the log also enable this owner to continue requiring what he doesn't have the right to require and making geocaching more of a pain or frustration for others in the future?

I never had my find log deleted because I didn't find the cache in the way the owner intended. But if it happened, and reinstating the log would lead to another deletion, I would definitely contact GS. Not because of a single find, but out of principle. If one owner gets away with doing it, others might get ideas (and I know a handful of owner in my area whoc would love to delete "improper" logs).

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, lisboa_bruno said:

Oh a similar but different note if the CO deletes the log even if the logsheet has been signed, nothing rude or insulting in the log but deleted then messaged to ask for more details how it was solved before being allowed to relog it as a find, whats the rules on this action?

From what I read on the guidelines and from other cachers if the logsheet is signed it counts as a find regardless of how it was solved or even found.

Oh yes and there is photographic evidence it has been signed with all exif removed.

59 minutes ago, lisboa_bruno said:

I have solved a few of this CO puzzles up to know and this one seems that is very picky who logs it, I am not planning to take it future but at the same time I have put all his unsolved or found caches on the back burner even the ones I have made progress in solving. Basically removed from my map but adding to the ignore list, I know the CO and met a fair few times but now doesn't even say "hi" clearly telling me that he knows he was wrong. High road, its a game if people can't see that do something else and let us enjoy the game also many more caches tyo find out there :D

55 minutes ago, niraD said:

If he's doing it to you, then he's probably doing it to others. I'd report him to Groundspeak and get my log reinstated, and I'd log more of his puzzles to make sure he lets those logs stand. If he quits in a huff, well, no big loss.

If a CO asked "how" I did a cache at an event in conversation, I'd tell them, maybe carefully, since I haven't done one dishonestly to make a clear-thinking person believe there's an issue.  The few we had issues with were on pmo caches and repeated emails.  If someone's coming off as an anal jerk, I won't respond.  Who would on someone with control issues?

I agree on reporting, though often just mentioning a report to the site gets the guy to wise up, and had that happen with us.  But I admit, I'll sometimes test those kinda folk's patience and beliefs if improper too.   :D

1 hour ago, lisboa_bruno said:

He is well known for deleting logs which haven't been signed as well as pumping out D5 caches which is it hasn't been signed it's fair do's to delete, I am just confirming what I read in the guidelines when i signed up and that nothing has changed on this subject.

There are plenty of other caches I can solve and find and first time I have ever used the ignore feature so I don't waste my time if he does it again.

I'm well known for deleting logs that haven't been signed l.  I don't feel it fair to others who actually did access and sign those caches to allow others to log because they might have been in the area...  Those who really did those caches appreciate that as well.    :)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, baer2006 said:

I never had my find log deleted because I didn't find the cache in the way the owner intended. But if it happened, and reinstating the log would lead to another deletion, I would definitely contact GS. Not because of a single find, but out of principle. If one owner gets away with doing it, others might get ideas (and I know a handful of owner in my area whoc would love to delete "improper" logs).

Ditto.

It's fine if he deletes online logs when there is no physical signature. More power to him.

It is definitely NOT fine if he deletes valid online logs because his ALR wasn't met, or because the finder didn't contact the CO. Then it becomes about more than getting my smiley reinstated.

Yep. And that's when all the "It's just a game!" arguments come out -- to try to pursuade the other person to relent, which, ironically, they are also doing to you. In an argument that's all about "just a game", it ultimately is a battle of who's more stubborn, or who takes the humble road first (if the issue doesn't escalate to be resolved or shut down by a third party).  It's a pet peeve when people sling that "it's just a game" cliche as an attempt to defend their own position :P Don't they realize the irony? heh  Admit that it's more than 'just a game' to you as well, or be humble and cede the 'battle' to the other person. One or the other :)

I won't lie it does annoy me that some play the game like this, but at least its a small percentage have a ego trip from deleting valid logs and playing by their own rules.

For me geocaching is a get away from work and general life and not going to make it a personal issue as I like to enjoy it as game not competition with everyone else.

11 hours ago, lisboa_bruno said:

Not worth the hassle for one smiley face personally, just wanted others views and confirmation about the understanding of the rules and guidelines.

If you're asserting said cache owner was trying to enforce some kind of ALR on a cache other than one that allows ALR's (virtual and EC) I wouldn't even bat an eye. I would ignore the email and immediately relog the find. If it gets deleted again, appeal it. Of course, that's assuming your name is really on the log.

Today DNF in GC6PQ1X - Zdravá voda from geoPetros , publish listing 08/22/2016,

total 31 logs, owner login "Found it" 01/26/2017 #851 (26. januára 2017 10:01),

after asking about this phenomenon, the private message with owner cache was not found, DELETE ?!
Cache archive
08/07/2018 , messages automatic delete from my message-box ?!
Very strange things happen lately, messages not loadet JPG picture, message not saved, is it normal  ?

On 8/7/2018 at 9:36 AM, ohaj said:

Today DNF in GC6PQ1X - Zdravá voda from geoPetros , publish listing 08/22/2016,

total 31 logs, owner login "Found it" 01/26/2017 #851 (26. januára 2017 10:01),

after asking about this phenomenon, the private message with owner cache was not found, DELETE ?!
Cache archive
08/07/2018 , messages automatic delete from my message-box ?!
Very strange things happen lately, messages not loadet JPG picture, message not saved, is it normal  ?

FYI -- geoPetros adopted the cache on 11/09/2017.  They were not the owner when they logged a Found It on 1/26/2017.  The cache was owned by Zuzulik111.

The weirdness with the message center, I have no idea.

On 27/02/2018 at 3:47 PM, lisboa_bruno said:

Not worth the hassle for one smiley face personally, just wanted others views and confirmation about the understanding of the rules and guidelines.

I've had the experience once where my log was wrongly deleted.  I was also accused of doing things I didn't do ("destroying" a cache).    For me, while it wasn't the end of the world, it bothered me.  Still does.   It isn't the one smiley which is the issue, it is the principle.   In my case I appealed and had my log reinstated.   That made me feel slightly better,  so for me it was worth it.   Though I would have preferred an apology from the CO.   (I tried working with the CO to convince him before the appeal, but that wasn't successful.

So yeah, you have to weigh up the "hassle" vs. how you feel.

Thanks for the explanation. I have just discovered that the problem with the impossibility of accessing the messages was stupidly caused by Mozilla, but Google Chrome is reading everything. Unfortunately, now I'm solving some problems with the logging of TB logging in Považská Bystrica / SLOVAKIA, I entered the logged-in, the kids chose and did not log in and I have only pictures from the site - wait or contact the owner?!

On 2/5/2018 at 4:12 PM, Crow-T-Robot said:

If someone wants to just claim a find without finding the container and inflate a meaningless find count, they are welcome to play that game all they want but I can't imagine how uninteresting the game must be to them.

i agree

as a co we have never deleted anyone's logs - when we cached in Nevada we looked at our cache's paper logs just for fun and they never matched up - not everyone logs online and not everyone signs the paper - we knew the players in our area so we could tell they were legit anyway

as cache hunters we frequently have pen issues (missing, don't work) or the physical logs are too wet to sign so it would be horrible if a co deleted our online log because we hadn't sign the physical paper - we cache for the experience not the number of smileys and if they deleted a log we'd lose that reminder of the day we had

if we see a cache but can't reach it for say poison ivy then we usually log it as a dnf and try again later - rare occasions a friendly co has said we could claim it as a find - we like getting our hands on the actual caches and see what they are about and what's inside so even if we got the ok for a smiley we still do the actual cache when we get the chance

False "Found" online logs really does take the fun from the game and defying to purpose of the game by getting outdoors. My logs are embarrassing for the time I joined in '15 till now, with only 106 finds. I am not one to falsify logs just to collect smileys. I always record my DNF for the reason that might tell the co that the cache might have been moved by the last finder or the cache might be stolen. Or I may just be to stupid to find it. As for logs, I do check against my online logs compared to written logs. There were a couple I had suspicions on. Found some did actually sign the log. Found one that hit all four of my caches, plus both of my geo partner's caches in one day including another cache over 100 miles away. He logs on the computer but never signed any of the physical paper logs.  

I also found where finders signed the paper log but haven't logged it on computer. However, Some finds, signs the paper log, then record it on computer a week or two later. I notice 2 finders did that just this morning.

5 minutes ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

My logs are embarrassing for the time I joined in '15 till now, with only 106 finds. 

I wish you wouldn't say things like that. It sends the message to new geocachers that it's about the numbers. Like you, I also have low numbers, but I am not the slightest bit embarrassed by that. You shouldn't be either!

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

Never thought about what it would say to new users. I just meant that I don't go out as much as I like to. But I work very long hours, 10am to 10pm. Hopefully these hours will be temporary. At least I am able to check the computer during the slow time. Like now. LOL

Whew! That's busy!

19 hours ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

I always record my DNF for the reason that might tell the co that the cache might have been moved by the last finder or the cache might be stolen. Or I may just be to stupid to find it.

we've had snarky responses from co's when we've logged a dnf - when we were new to the game we logged that we 'assumed it was muggled', and the co sent us an email 'we ASSUME you stuck you're hand up the pole', which we didn't because there were black widow webs all over the pole - it was a nasty unnecessary email

but it wasn't as rude and unsporting as when we moved out of the desert and were new to pine tree hides so we had trouble finding one - we logged a dnf of course and then the co logged on the cache page for all to see grumbling about how he had to come all the way out to check it was still there and that 'some people don't understand sarcasm' in reference to his cache description - it ruined the entire experience for us because we had enjoyed his witty description and enjoyed the hunt - publicly shaming someone for not being able to find your cache was beyond !

19 hours ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

My logs are embarrassing for the time I joined in '15 till now, with only 106 finds.

we've been doing it since 2006 and are only at around 500 finds - weather, lack of a car, etc. slow us down

4 minutes ago, SuperKrypto said:

we've had snarky responses from co's when we've logged a dnf - when we were new to the game we logged that we 'assumed it was muggled', and the co sent us an email 'we ASSUME you stuck you're hand up the pole', which we didn't because there were black widow webs all over the pole - it was a nasty unnecessary email

but it wasn't as rude and unsporting as when we moved out of the desert and were new to pine tree hides so we had trouble finding one - we logged a dnf of course and then the co logged on the cache page for all to see grumbling about how he had to come all the way out to check it was still there and that 'some people don't understand sarcasm' in reference to his cache description - it ruined the entire experience for us because we had enjoyed his witty description and enjoyed the hunt - publicly shaming someone for not being able to find your cache was beyond !

I'm sorry that some CO's are jerks.

I count myself fortunate that I've never (knock on wood) received any such blowback from the 300+ DNF logs that I've posted. I have seen some logs though where CO's have posted snarky logs in response to DNF/NM/NA logs. Maybe that has made me overly conscious of how I word my logs. Personally, I try to avoid saying "I think the cache is gone" and instead say "I hope the cache hasn't been muggled".  It's a bit passive-aggressive, but I think it gets my point across and the CO's take less offense than if I state (as if I know) that the cache is missing.

Even my NA logs are a bit 'soft' like "I hope the CO can check on the cache and replace if missing. Otherwise, this cache probably needs to be put to rest."

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that you should write your logs this way. The CO's shouldn't be harassing you no matter how you write your logs.  Well, unless you're really rude of course.  :ph34r:  Just giving examples of how I write my logs, because it wasn't until I read some 'softer' DNF/NM/NA logs from other cachers that I got ideas of how to make my own logs seems less severe and presumptuous.

• Upvote 1

i don't think we've used the word 'assume' since ... we try and write our logs 'family friendly' so that no one gets offended, so that other cachers don't get spoilers, and to be respectful of co's - like we'd never say 'that was a crappy cache' or even just 'blah' like someone wrote about our cache - it's a game for fun so we like to keep it light

Most of my DNF, I write "No luck today. Will try at another time". or just, "No luck today". I try not to be offensive. I've had one snarky DNF for one of my caches that someone could not find. He said he refrained himself from posting "Needs Archived". because the cache was gone". The cache he couldn't find was the one in my front yard where I can see the hidden spot from my window. Obviously never read the cache page.  People have found it since with no problems or very little problems. 

My Geo partner does not record his DNF because he does not like the blue sad faces on his map.

8 minutes ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

Most of my DNF, I write "No luck today. Will try at another time". or just, "No luck today". I try not to be offensive. I've had one snarky DNF for one of my caches that someone could not find. He said he refrained himself from posting "Needs Archived". because the cache was gone". The cache he couldn't find was the one in my front yard where I can see the hidden spot from my window. Obviously never read the cache page.  People have found it since with no problems or very little problems. 

My Geo partner does not record his DNF because he does not like the blue sad faces on his map.

I'm not seeing that on his log (has he edited since posting?).

It's good that you put those two hints on the page, in addition to the description. I think that'll really help.

Didn't find itDidn't find it

8/10/2018

I am going to refrain from posting a NEEDS ARCHIVE on this cache but a homeowner was not happy we were searching near his property. If this cache is placed on private property why not give us the house number so that we do not stray on to another persons property.

The comment is still there.

I try my best to make it a little easier for cachers to find it, since it is supposed to be a park and grab. My GPS coords is right on according to Fizzycalc and the cache icon on the map is dead on. I hate to sound rude but the user has over 21,400 finds and his title is "Lackey" (whatever that means). I'd think he'd be more experienced. 

I must apologize for using the - because the cache was gone - in the same sentence.  That part was quoted in a email messages he wrote me. 

Do I really need to add a house number on the page? If so, maybe a huge neon arrow pointing to the cache? This is a game to hunt Geocaches using common sense, clues and GPS units.

My clues to this particular cache is straight forward. Three clues for one cache. 1. Second house on the left. 2. don't get stumped. 3. white 4x4 truck with TB code on the tailgate.

Sounds like some folks think the coordinates are off. You might want to double check them. You even warn to not disturb the neighbors, so giving a house number is possibly a good idea. Personally, I dislike caches in front yards seems like invading the privacy of the neighborhood. So I always try to go as quick as I can and a very specific hint is very much appreciated. I can't tell how many times my GPS takes me to wrong places and circle all around before making the find, if the neighbors don't support the idea of having a neighborhood cache helping to remove conflict is also appreciated. 

Recently went to a FTF and the coordinates were really off leading to a ladies yard. She verbally chased me off. No fun for either of us.

33 minutes ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

Do I really need to add a house number on the page? If so, maybe a huge neon arrow pointing to the cache? This is a game to hunt Geocaches using common sense, clues and GPS units.

My clues to this particular cache is straight forward. Three clues for one cache. 1. Second house on the left. 2. don't get stumped. 3. white 4x4 truck with TB code on the tailgate.

"second house on the left" - Left and Right depends on which way the cacher is facing.

"white 4x4 truck" - Is the truck permanently parked there?  I mean, I have a vehicle which never moves, but it sounds like your truck is drivable as you say "If you see a white 4x4 truck in driveway".  Sounds like the truck is not always there.

Stating the house number would eliminate the need for providing multiple hints.  Or at least, it should.  If cachers still can't get to the correct house with the house number, then hhmmm.

By the way, "Lackey" means an employee of HQ.

1 hour ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

I try my best to make it a little easier for cachers to find it, since it is supposed to be a park and grab. My GPS coords is right on according to Fizzycalc and the cache icon on the map is dead on. I hate to sound rude but the user has over 21,400 finds and his title is "Lackey" (whatever that means). I'd think he'd be more experienced. 

You mentioned that the coords are correct according to Fizzycalc and the map, but what does your GPSr say?  And if you don't use a GPSr, then a geocaching or gps app when you enter the coords of your hide and try to navigate to them?

That is what matters most, not what a satellite view map shows.

• Upvote 1

I do check logs and I have deleted a number of false logs, but I am willing to accept photographs instead of signatures, in case someone forgot their pen. (Although if you are going geocaching, why would you forget your pen? I even take two pens along in case one runs out of ink.) I don't delete (except in exceptional circumstances) without first contacting the geocacher. I ask for a good description of the cache and hide, and will except that. Some don't reply, but I wait a couple of weeks before I delete. Of those that don't reply, I don't think I have had any complain, which indicates to me they know they were caught out. In case of even slight doubt, I leave the log.

COs not deleting false logs ruins it for others, especially some hard caches and challenges, making the effort somehow feel wasted. It can ruin some challenge opportunities too, such as one instance where a challenge cache wanted so many caches that had not been found for over six months. A false log on a cache can then make an eligible cache ineligible. One instance was a multicache, where a beginner logged the cache and wrote, "Found the first WP." There were many WPs. The CO didn't delete the log, even after being contacted, which disappointed a group of genuine finders who wanted that cache to put towards the challenge.

I was once contacted myself about a cache I found. I had signed the log, but the log was so ratty I suspect that's why the CO couldn't find my signature. I was not at all insulted and appreciated the CO was doing their job. I gave a detailed description of the cache, log, hide place and even what the nearby parking area looked like, which satisfied the CO, because my log stayed.

Edited by Goldenwattle
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

Although if you are going geocaching, why would you forget your pen?

It's happened to me four times already and I don't doubt it'll happen again. Twice it was because I wasn't using my normal caching backpack, and yes, I forgot to put a pen in it, another time the pen fell out of my backpack (I later found it in the boot of the car) and the fourth time was a P&G when I didn't have a backpack with me and assumed there was a pen in the glovebox (because there always is) but on this occasion there wasn't. On the two urban hides I've gone off to find a shop where I could buy a pen, and the two bush hides I improvised with a twig or a gum nut.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

It's happened to me four times already and I don't doubt it'll happen again. Twice it was because I wasn't using my normal caching backpack, and yes, I forgot to put a pen in it, another time the pen fell out of my backpack (I later found it in the boot of the car) and the fourth time was a P&G when I didn't have a backpack with me and assumed there was a pen in the glovebox (because there always is) but on this occasion there wasn't. On the two urban hides I've gone off to find a shop where I could buy a pen, and the two bush hides I improvised with a twig or a gum nut.

It has happened to me at least twice, but that's why I allow a photograph to prove the cache was found. But some people often appear to forget/lose their pen. Time after time. Some of those are armchair cachers and they use that as the excuse of why they didn't log. When someone states they dropped their pen I check their other logs on other days, especially if I don't know their name. Not uncommon to find some cachers often 'drop' their pen.

Once I grabbed a piece of charcoal (common where I live with regular bushfires) and signed the log, but I also supplied a photograph as the charcoal was likely to rub off.

13 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

It happened to me yesterday.  I took the train from Hasselt, Belgium to Ettelbruck, Luxembourg for an overnight stay and to try and add a new country in which I've found a geocache (#30 for me).  While on the train I realized that I'd left my pens back at the hotel in Belgium.  My first stop upon arrival was a small grocery store, which didn't have any pens to sell but the proprietor gave me one.  Found 5 caches (and three DNFs).

• Upvote 2
On 8/25/2018 at 12:25 PM, noncentric said:

I count myself fortunate that I've never (knock on wood) received any such blowback from the 300+ DNF logs that I've posted.

I think I have been lucky. I can't remember getting a snarky reply for any of my DNFs over 12 years. In fact, the opposite is true. Frequently, I get unsolicited PMs from cache owners giving tips, hints, or flat-out answers and directions. 

On 8/25/2018 at 11:11 AM, SuperKrypto said:

Honestly, that's not snarky. You made a classic newbie mistake: you said the cache was missing just because you didn't find it. You even admit to us  you didn't look where it was. The CO wanted you to learn you shouldn't do that. You don't say whether you learned the lesson. It's really mostly for your own benefit since the main impact of "I couldn't find it so it must be missing" logs is that the person writing them looks stupid.

And even if that wasn't the CO's intention, there's no good reason to assume he's a jerk.

On 8/25/2018 at 11:11 AM, SuperKrypto said:

It always makes me sad when someone looks at a log like this so hard they make it ruin their experience. The CO might come to some wrong conclusion about your talents and even write them up, but who cares? Why let that take away the fun you had? You didn't find it. That's a fact. There's no shame in that no matter what the CO says about it.

The only thing puzzling about this is why the CO would react that way after he read in your DNF log how much fun you had reading his description and making your failed hunt. That part of it seems somewhat ungracious of him.