New Cache Notification

Using the New Dashboard on the website look on the left side under the picture of your avatar.  Scroll down to the last section titled Premium Tools.  Choose Setup Notifications.  From there you can choose which types of caches you want to receive notifications on and also what types of logs.  For new caches you would choose "Publish Listing" as the type of notification you wish to receive.  

If using the old dashboard it is pretty much the same except Premium Tools are called Premium Features and are located on the right side of the web page. 

• Upvote 1

I have a related question about new cache notifications.  I have them set up and receive the notifications  to my email address.  My problem is that when I tap the link of the cache in my email, it defaults to the GC app on my iPhone.  Then nothing happens, I don’t get to see the new cache information and usually have to write down the GC # and manually look it up on GC.com.  Am I missing something?  Maybe my expectations are too high for the app.

Edited by 73Rebel
Wrong word
4 hours ago, 73Rebel said:

it defaults to the GC app on my iPhone.  Then nothing happens, I don’t get to see the new cache information

This happens to me only on new caches and only within the first minute (or two) of the cache being published, and only on the app. If I don't notice the email until some time later, the app always works immediately when clicking on the link. I guess sometimes it takes a few minutes for everything to sync up when a new cache is published.

Edited by Team Christiansen
spelling
  • Upvote 1

Once you set up the notifications you should receive an email when a new cache is published that meets your setup (distance, type of cache,etc). I can also access my emails from my iPhone and the cache number and title show up as a hyperlink. Clicking or pressing the hyperlink should take you to the cache page. My complaint was it would open the app with no access to the cache page. 

I am having the same problem as 73Rebel, just on my iPad.  Used to be that when I would get a new cache email notification, clicking on the cache ID hyperlink would open up the Geocaching app directly to the cache listing.  But it stopped doing that.  Now clicking on the link just opens up the app to the map with my location.  

Frustrating, it used to work properly on both my iPad and iPhone.

ETA:  I tried the old trick of deleting and reinstalling the app on my iPad, now the function works properly.  But discovered something else even weirder, when you search for the official Groundspeak Geocaching app in Apps, it doesn’t come up.  I put “Geocaching” in the search bar.  A bunch of other similar apps come up. But not the Groundspeak app.  What’s up with that?  Had to type it in Safari search bar and then the link to the app came right up.

Edited by Mamacat90807
Additional information
21 minutes ago, Mamacat90807 said:

when you search for the official Groundspeak Geocaching app in Apps, it doesn’t come up.  I put “Geocaching” in the search bar.  A bunch of other similar apps come up. But not the Groundspeak app.  What’s up with that?  Had to type it in Safari search bar and then the link to the app came right up.

Yeah, that's an iPad.  The Store will show you the iPad Apps.  But the Official App is an iPhone App.  There's a selection for that when you're searching for Apps.  The App works on an iPad.

Edited by kunarion
23 minutes ago, kunarion said:
45 minutes ago, Mamacat90807 said:

when you search for the official Groundspeak Geocaching app in Apps, it doesn’t come up.  I put “Geocaching” in the search bar.  A bunch of other similar apps come up. But not the Groundspeak app.  What’s up with that?  Had to type it in Safari search bar and then the link to the app came right up.

Yeah, that's an iPad.  The Store will show you the iPad Apps.  But the Official App is an iPhone App.  There's a selection for that when you're searching for Apps.  The App works on an iPad.

I've never understood the Apple logic on this approach. Last I looked it was iPhone only and iPad only vs iOS. Maybe there's some valid reason where it would make sense, but I've never come across that need to separate them. 

In May of this year, I was in Spokane, WA and while using my iPhone Geocaching.com APP, I saw a red FTF indicating that there was a new cache in the area.  I bee-lined to it and missed the FTF by 9 minutes.  Fast forward to last month.  My email on my laptop showed that there was a few new FTFs to be found in my area.  But, although the green cache indicator showed on my iPhone app, there was no red FTF symbol?  Was the red FTF a fluke or should I be expecting it and if so, how do I set it up?

36 minutes ago, DE_Cryptoman said:

In May of this year, I was in Spokane, WA and while using my iPhone Geocaching.com APP, I saw a red FTF indicating that there was a new cache in the area.  I bee-lined to it and missed the FTF by 9 minutes.  Fast forward to last month.  My email on my laptop showed that there was a few new FTFs to be found in my area.  But, although the green cache indicator showed on my iPhone app, there was no red FTF symbol?  Was the red FTF a fluke or should I be expecting it and if so, how do I set it up?

That's interesting!

22 hours ago, DE_Cryptoman said:

Are you absolutely sure you were in the official app? Could it be that you were using Cachly? That app has exactly what you describe. I've never seen nor heard of the official app having an FTF indicator.