Photocopy of a Geocoin - 'Discover Me'

HappySquidTom

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me. I found a cache today that contained a laminated photocopy of a Milestone Geocache. The other side had the words 'Discover Me' and a six-character code beginning 'GM'.

I haven't got a clue what this is, and searching the code yields nothing. Can anyone tell me what this is? 

Thanks!

Squid.

Some people will place a stunt double, a "proxy", of a Geocoin to take the place of the actual coin.  This way, when the proxy goes missing, it's trivial to place another.  Sometimes the proxy is placed because the real coin is gone.  Sometimes a thief finds a coin they covet, so they keep it and place a photocopy.  It would be best if coin owners would include clear info when placing their proxy (on the proxy and on the coin page) to avoid confusion, and that finders would place informative logs on the cache page when they find one, such as exactly what they found and that they can't figure out how to log it.  But that rarely happens.  So here we are. :ph34r:

What you describe is a "proxy".  Don't post the tracking number online, but is the number hand written?  Are there letters and numbers that could be confused, such as "I" and "1", "O" and "0"?

Which cache did you find the proxy in?

I didn't notice any "Milestone Geocoins" in caches you found recently.  So it's possible that nobody else has been able to log it.  If you just plain can't figure it out, place it into a cache, with a cache log explaining the situation.  And ideally, add a similar log at the cache where you found it (if a different cache than the one where you place it).  That goes for any trackable.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2

hi kunarion,

Thank you for such a detailed reply! I didn't take the item, as I thought it unfair to the owner given that I didn't know what to do with it. I did take photos, however, and the tracking number is printed so no confusion as to what is written.

I found the proxy in GC69459 Sean's Dinosaurs.

I haven't come across a tracking code beginning GM before, and would expect GC, TB or GT... 

1 hour ago, HappySquidTom said:

Thanks again kunarion, I reckon it's mystery solved now :)

Awesome!  And I see you made a Discover log, with a nice a photo, too.  I "discover" the majority of trackables I find in caches.  Occasionally I'll retrieve one to drop in another cache, if I feel like doing the extra work of unscrambling the logs. :anicute:

Special coins may have a prefix ("GM" or whatever), but in this case I guess it means "Geocaching Milestone".  It's a special vanity prefix purchased with a coin series.  Otherwise these tend to have random letters and numbers.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Glad this got worked out. Not to open a can of worms but I've never understood why people send out or want to find/discover proxies. THat's been debated many times over the years though, often in heated exchanges.

I will say that I LOVE the use of "stunt double" to describe these. That literally made me laugh.

• Upvote 1
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, Kealia said:

Glad this got worked out. Not to open a can of worms but I've never understood why people send out or want to find/discover proxies. THat's been debated many times over the years though, often in heated exchanges.

I will say that I LOVE the use of "stunt double" to describe these. That literally made me laugh.

GxProxy, when they were in biz, created a whole line of aluminum proxy coins that they called 'Stunt Doubles'. We bought many over the years and some are still traveling.

No reason to open any can of proxies ( ;) ) but if you like discovering them, it's all good. If not ... leave them be and cache on ... !!!

• Upvote 2
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, Kealia said:

Glad this got worked out. Not to open a can of worms but I've never understood why people send out or want to find/discover proxies.

As one who mostly Discovers these days (that "finding caches I'd do" thing...) I'm okay with them.  Still finding those logged incorrectly as well, and help the CO realize an issue in the log or a pm.  We haven't seen others proxies listed on ebay yet...  

Noticed you have a few in unknownland.  Not cheap, wouldn't you have liked to keep those shiny things safe at home, yet still allowing others to collect the cool icons that came with them?     :)

7 hours ago, nevadanick said:

... No reason to open any can of proxies ( ;) ) but if you like discovering them, it's all good. If not ... leave them be and cache on ... !!!

Agreed.  We've seen more resembling poker chip-like things these days.  A big change from pieces of laminated paper lost in the cache, often pitched as carp during maintenance years ago.  Still "looks" like a coin at a fraction of the original's worth.  :)

Edited by cerberus1
explainification :)
On 2/14/2018 at 5:40 AM, nevadanick said:

GxProxy, when they were in biz, created a whole line of aluminum proxy coins that they called 'Stunt Doubles'. We bought many over the years and some are still traveling.

No reason to open any can of proxies ( ;) ) but if you like discovering them, it's all good. If not ... leave them be and cache on ... !!!

GxProxy no longer has a web store but can be contacted at gxproxy@hotmail.com and they do still make the aluminum Proxy Stunt Double. That phrase was created as the Proxy takes on the role of a Stunt Coin for the original so it doesn't end up damaged or missing.   Since they are in a flip and have a card insert explaining what it is it is easy to discover or move.