Keeping a log at the top of the log list

signseekers

Hi as cache owners we were wondering if there was a way to keep a permanent log on the top position of all logs on a particular cache.

We want to display a permanent instruction in addition to the one we have in the description or hint box.

Anyone know if there is a way of doing this.

Any help appreciated.

1 hour ago, signseekers said:

Hi as cache owners we were wondering if there was a way to keep a permanent log on the top position of all logs on a particular cache.

We want to display a permanent instruction in addition to the one we have in the description or hint box.

Any help appreciated.

No, it's not currently possible, but it's not a bad idea.  In the forums there is the notion of a "sticky" thread that will always show up the top of the list of threads in a forum section.  The idea of a CO being able to mark a OM log or Note as "sticky" would ensure that important timely information can be seen by those looking at recent logs, especially in places where many cache might get more than 5 find a day.  Alternatively, I've sometimes wanted to be able to change the sort order and/or filter out log types (e.g. show me all OM or DNF logs).  

19 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

Why wouldn't you just put it in the description?  I'm trying to understand the purpose, so maybe an example would help?

agreed, why not just amend the description? Why would someone be more likely to notice a "stickied log" than something in the description. If it is extra important you can add bold, italics, asterisks, etc. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, signseekers said:

Any help appreciated.

Not an automatic way.  But you could write a note and keep changing the date so it is always on top.  I'm currently doing this for one of my TBs.

Why wouldn't you just put it in the description?  I'm trying to understand the purpose, so maybe an example would help?

How about ...

If you are not at home, (or have your laptop with you) you hardly can change the log description, but if you are on the road and suddenly you get notice of something important, you could always post a note via smart phone and app about "whatever" and keep it on top for everyone to read.

15 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

How about ...

If you are not at home, (or have your laptop with you) you hardly can change the log description, but if you are on the road and suddenly you get notice of something important, you could always post a note via smart phone and app about "whatever" and keep it on top for everyone to read.

Sure, you could leave a note if it's something that needs to be fixed while out, the other 2/3rds did that on ours a couple of times. 

- But the OP is asking for a way to keep a permanent log on the top position of all logs on a particular cache.    I'd think it rare that a CO with caches is permanently on the road/not at home... 

Though maybe that permanent log could be an offer for someone to adopt .    :)

41 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Sure, you could leave a note if it's something that needs to be fixed while out, the other 2/3rds did that on ours a couple of times. 

- But the OP is asking for a way to keep a permanent log on the top position of all logs on a particular cache.    I'd think it rare that a CO with caches is permanently on the road/not at home... 

Though maybe that permanent log could be an offer for someone to adopt .    :)

Fair point.  Two cases I can see for "pinning" a log to the top:  Needs Maintenance logs and offers to let someone adopt a cache.  It seems like something you might post as a Note wouldn't necessarily need to be pinned as those could just be posted as normal and then integrated into the description when access to the page editor is more convenient.  Maybe a Note about a short- to long-term hindrance or obstacle to finding...like construction around or near the cache, or flooding in the area, etc.?  Maybe something like that wouldn't necessarily need to be part of the description, but represents an ongoing condition that other cachers ought to know about for a certain period of time.

Thanks everyone. We want to pin a log in top position to all our caches. We have over a 1000 and want to add the same log to all of them  - we can do this via GSAK Publish logs but we also want to be able to pin it to the top . In any new caches we will put this note in the description but we want a way to pin a log in our present caches.

This could be used as an option for cache owners to add an important note in a log which is kept at the top for various reasons ranging from 

Asking for help to maintain a cache while owner is away for an extending period, putting a cache up for adoption  or simply to remind cachers  to try and keep the log dry when they are writing on it.

If it's something that you need to be there temporarily, then you might want to check the GSAK Forum and see if there is a macro that will allow you to update the dates of multiple logs at once. Maybe the EditOnlineLogs macro would work?

Then you could use the method NanCycle described of updating the log date so that your desired logs are at the top. Maybe run the macro every couple weeks or something.