Urwigo Zone Image Display

troobloo

I am looking for some help.

I am using Urwigo to produce my Wherigo. I want players to be directed from zone to zone without any interactions, messages, tasks etc.

say, on enter to zone 2, zone 3 is immediately displayed with its image (player follows nav arrows and distance to zone 3.

on enter to zone 3, zone 4 is immediately displayed with its image (player follows nav arrows and distance to zone 4, and then on to zone 5 etc.

Is this possible? 

Cheers, Gil

Sure.  Just wire up to the previous zone's OnEnter or OnProximity event.  When one of those happens, deactivate the previous zone and activate the next zone.  You don't have to have any other actions for the zones other than deactivating the current and activating the next.

Urwigo should be able to import cartridges, so if you want, you could make something like this in Wherigo\\kit, grab the zip or GWZ it generates, and import it into Urwigo to continue whatever else you want to do.  If anything, you could learn from Kit how it's done, then redo the whole cartridge in Urwigo.

Thank you Ranger Fox. I have googled and searched for my next question but it appears that I may be out of luck with this. 

I wrote and uploaded a cartridge to Wherigo.com, which I ticked the obscufate and encrypt buttons in urwigo prior to upload. Lost my copy when computor died.

Since then infrastructure in the real world has been changed and made the cartridge unplayable. It was a large Wherigo, 49 zones with many tasks, questions etc.

Is there a way that I as Wherigo owner/publisher I can download it to amend it?

Cheers, Gil

Well, it's difficult with Urwigo to change it if the .urwigo file hadn't been uploaded with it.  I don't think you'll be able to load the cartridge back into Urwigo.  So it depends on how you need it changed.  If I was in your situation, I'd have to decide between recreating the cartridge or seeing if I could just edit the lua file directly.  You can easily get your cartridge back from Wherigo.com by making it open source and downloading the cartridge (then you can change it back to all rights reserved).  If it's not too time-consuming--really, I'd probably do it even if it was--I could probably put down working on Kit v2 for a little while and help if you need something.

Hi Ranger Fox,

I did what you suggested and downloaded the cartridge and the source file, unfortunately there was no .urwigo file uploaded. There is only 3 things that need changing, that is, the questions and answers in 2 zones (real world infrastructure changes) and move GZ. The lua code I opened with notepad and that is gobblygook to me, I could not even see the questions in there. You said you may be able to give some help, if you are prepared to have a look at the source, or lua, or cartridge could you tell me if it is possible to edit?

Cheers Gil

Edited by troobloo

Hi Ranger Fox.

To my limited knowledge and your first answer and googling everywhere it seems that I am up for a rewrite. What a bugger, but, lesson learnt, keep a copy on external back up.

I did manage to get a heap of zones out of the lua file (nothing else out of the lua gibberish) so that is a start.

In the field this Wherigo takes between 4-6 hours to complete so I have another question for you. We have been advised that some people have taken  others to the GZ to sign the log without physically doing the Wherigo, do you have any protections that can be placed in the cartridge to prevent this. At this stage all I can think of is keeping the .urwigo file for edit to be able to move GZ.

Still hopeful that with your knowledge of this Wherigo stuff that you may be able to access the file and extract stuff or edit somehow to give some assistance. I can send to you the source file/lua, cartridge or what ever I have if you are prepared to have a look at it and advise further.

Regards, Gil

Edited by troobloo

I could edit the questions and answers in the second zone and move a zone to another location.  You probably also let Urwigo obfuscate the text, so I'd have to come up with a way to preserve that for the new questions and answers or just leave them as plain text.

There isn't any way to make sure everyone who signs the cache log has played the cartridge.  The only way I can come up with is to put on the cache a digital lock that changes its combination every so often (such as fifteen minutes).  You could then add the lock's algorithm to the cartridge.  But, really, that would be more trouble than it's worth.  Over the years in Wherigo, I've always said anything you do in a cartridge or even a mystery cache can be defeated by people sharing coordinates with each other.  The more complicated you make a cartridge or cache to accomplish, the more people will be tempted to ask others where it is.

Hi again Ranger Fox, you have given me hope that I may not need to rewrite the whole thing.

So if I provide you with the new questions and answers for the 2 x zones that need to be changed you could edit them in the cartridge? Then if GZ is moved problem solved. 

What do you need to have a look at to accomplish this (lua/gwc/gwz ??) file, access to my cartridge on Wherigo ?? 

Cheers again, Gil

Email me the GWZ you got from Wherigo.com and instructions on what to change.  The instructions should say change this to that so I have an example of what it looks like now so I can be absolutely sure I'm changing the right thing.  I'll try to apply the text obfuscation, but that's a bonus instead of guarantee.  For the zones you need moved, please include the zones' names so I can compare it to what I see in the emulator.

I'll have some time between 6PM MST and 8PM MST tonight to work on it.

Thanks Ranger Fox. I will go through my notes and send info as soon as I am 100% sure of the changes needed. What is your email address for the email?  

It may take me a bit of time to get this detailed info, can I contact you when I have it.

The physical location of the Wherigo is approx 1900 klms away from me and I have friends getting the info on the infrastructure changes. 

Sorry to put you on hold, just want to get it right, can I put your offer on hold till I am 100% sure

Gil

Edited by troobloo

That's fine to put me on hold.  Just let me know via the forum when you sent it.  I check the forum far more frequently than email.

Oh, and my email is available on my geocaching profile.  I don't want to link to it here because I'd rather not have screen scraping spiders harvest my email for spam.  On the geocaching site, you have to log in to see someone's email address.

Edited by Ranger Fox