Can't transfer caches using Send To Garmin

icezebra11

Posted this in the GPS section but was told I might get more help over here.  The "Send to Garmin" feature worked fine two days ago but today it won't work.  I have GPS connected, Garmin Express open, and Garmin Express shows my GPS is connected.   After I click "Send to Garmin" to the right of the List, I get a message "Garmin Express Not Detected" but then it brings up Garmin Express on the screen and gives me the "Content Ready to Download" box so I click continue.  Then I get a "Download Failed" message.

Windows 10, Chrome browser.  Here's what I've tried - individually closed out all pages in Chrome; cleared browsing history, cookies, and cache; uninstalled Garmin Express; rebooted computer, and then reinstalled Garmin Express.  Tried again and it still failed.  Then tried using Edge and Internet Explorer browsers, still failed.  Doesn't matter if it's my 450T or my 600, fails to transfer to both.

Any suggestions on next steps to try?

Same problem.  Have used the Garmin Express, 3 dots from the New Lists page to download to my Etrex 20x for months.  Now it just gives me a download failed message.  Also told to contact geocaching.  Have done that and I seem to be getting the run around about plugins not supported.  I know that.   I have not used plugins for a long time.  Have been using the supplied Garmin Express procedure for a long time. What is the work around?

11 hours ago, dukemartin said:

What is the work around?

For a modern Garmin GPS, click the "GPX File" button on a cache page, and place the GPX file into the Garmin/GPX folder of the GPS.  Or for many files at once, load Pocket Queries.  You can make a Pocket Query from a list.
https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=118

Edited by kunarion

Thank you GS developers!  The transfer function is working again.  One item for your information - When I click the "Send to Garmin" I still get a pop-up that says Garmin Express can't be detected (even though GE is open on my desktop) but it does bring up GE and give me the "Content Ready to Download" box.  When I click "Continue" to execute the download, it is successful.  If you can get rid of that annoying erroneous pop-up, that would be great.  But the main thing is the transfer works again.

i installed a new drive on my pc. then tested and found this download not working.:wub: first i tested all kinds of errors i might have made, then moved to another computer and there everything worked fine, :o then back to my computer and all fine also. so i happened to be testing just at the end of the malfunction of the garmin express link. lots of worries, but i did not do anything wrong :)

nevertheless. it still works fine with me. Firefox 58.0.1 Garmin Express 6.0.0.0 and Oregon 450t

the only still very annoying feature/bug is that it only writes to the memory of the device and not to the sd-card. so I have to move the gpx file manually after each download of a list.

5 hours ago, barnold said:

nevertheless. it still works fine with me. Firefox 58.0.1 Garmin Express 6.0.0.0 and Oregon 450t

the only still very annoying feature/bug is that it only writes to the memory of the device and not to the sd-card. so I have to move the gpx file manually after each download of a list.

It may work better for you if you convert the lists to Pocket Queries (there's a button for that in each list).  Then download and unzip the Pocket Queries and place them into the proper folder.  "Send To My GPS" sends slightly different data than a Pocket Query does, but I prefer the Pocket Query version.

I don't use any plug-in nor "Garmin Express" unless it asks to update maps or firmware on my Oregon or Nuvi.  That's a convenient way to get updates.  I hope it's not completely broken now.

Edited by kunarion
19 hours ago, kunarion said:

It may work better for you if you convert the lists to Pocket Queries (there's a button for that in each list).  Then download and unzip the Pocket Queries and place them into the proper folder.  "Send To My GPS" sends slightly different data than a Pocket Query does, but I prefer the Pocket Query version.

I don't use any plug-in nor "Garmin Express" unless it asks to update maps or firmware on my Oregon or Nuvi.  That's a convenient way to get updates.  I hope it's not completely broken now.

i use the "garmin express way" for a quick transfer of one or two caches. If a need  to transfer more caches I use the very usefull facilities of GSAK.. that worked perfectly all the time. It seems to me that the problems with Garmin Express are on the GS side, and not Garmin's.

8 hours ago, barnold said:

i use the "garmin express way" for a quick transfer of one or two caches. If a need  to transfer more caches I use the very usefull facilities of GSAK.. that worked perfectly all the time. It seems to me that the problems with Garmin Express are on the GS side, and not Garmin's.

If you're only downloading one or two caches, it's probably a lot faster to just download the individual GPX files using the "GPX file" button. You can also save them directly to the SD card, which saves a step.

• Upvote 2

Still is not working for me today.  My PC is Windows 10 and I tried using Chrome, Edge, and IE.  Running a PQ of my list works so at least I'm not stuck loading them one at a time.  The second post on this thread indicates GS is aware of the problem and they are working on it.  It'd sure be nice if they would keep people informed on what the status is in getting it fixed.

Thanks for the reports on this issue, everyone. We have, indeed, been working on fixes over the past week. Our most recent changes were released this morning and our internal tracking indicates that today's updates resolved the errors that were happening.

Please do try using the Garmin Express functionality again and let us know here or through the contact form on https://www.geocaching.com/help/ if you continue to experience problems.

• Upvote 1

HI,

I know this is an older thread but i'm hoping someone can help.

I have been using geocahe for sometime now and last year upgraded my device to the Oregon 700.

I initially had issues connecting through Win 10 and so had my laptop put back to Win 7 thus fixing my issue.

I recently had to upgrade to a new laptop with Win 10 and i cannot for the life of me get any of the browsers to find my device to download the caches.

I have tried each browser with and without garmin express running, everythjing is up to date including the garmen communicator.

Can anyone please help with this?

Thanks

13 hours ago, winoaks said:

HI,

I know this is an older thread but i'm hoping someone can help.

I have been using geocahe for sometime now and last year upgraded my device to the Oregon 700.

I initially had issues connecting through Win 10 and so had my laptop put back to Win 7 thus fixing my issue.

I recently had to upgrade to a new laptop with Win 10 and i cannot for the life of me get any of the browsers to find my device to download the caches.

I have tried each browser with and without garmin express running, everythjing is up to date including the garmen communicator.

Can anyone please help with this?

Thanks

Garmin Communicator (Send to GPS) is not supported by many browsers. If that's what you're using? sending one cache at a time, you may instead click "GPX File" on a cache page and save the file into Garmin/GPX.

Garmin Express is for Lists. Kind of handy for loading a bunch of caches once.

But the Oregon 700 can load caches wirelessly.

Edited by kunarion
On 21/5/2018 at 11:12 PM, kunarion said:

Garmin Communicator (Send to GPS) is not supported by many browsers. If that's what you're using? sending one cache at a time, you may instead click "GPX File" on a cache page and save the file into Garmin/GPX.

Garmin Express is for Lists. Kind of handy for loading a bunch of caches once.

But the Oregon 700 can load caches wirelessly.

This is very true! I am a newcomer to Geocaching and I first tried to transfer some geocache to my GPS using the "Send to my GPS" key without success.

I did many attempts but none reached the goal.

1. I download Garmin Communicator (but it never is recognized as present onto my PC)
  2. Then I tried to use both Chrome and Internet Explorer
  3. I used both Windows 10 and Windows 7

My GPS is a Dakota 20.

The only way had success is the one suggested by kunarion:

Use the "File GPX" button instead of "Send to my GPS" button

Then copy the GPX file from the PC to the GPX folder of the GPS unit.

This works fine!

Thank you kunarion!

3 hours ago, gbal said:

This is very true! I am a newcomer to Geocaching and I first tried to transfer some geocache to my GPS using the "Send to my GPS" key without success.

I did many attempts but none reached the goal.

1. I download Garmin Communicator (but it never is recognized as present onto my PC)
  2. Then I tried to use both Chrome and Internet Explorer
  3. I used both Windows 10 and Windows 7

My GPS is a Dakota 20.

The only way had success is the one suggested by kunarion:

Use the "File GPX" button instead of "Send to my GPS" button

Then copy the GPX file from the PC to the GPX folder of the GPS unit.

This works fine!

Thank you kunarion!

Welcome to the hobby!  As you get more into it and find that you want to load a lot of caches at once, consider becoming a Premium Member so you can take advantage of Pocket Queries and "Send to Garmin" which are only available to Premium Members.

Cache on!

51 minutes ago, LesButineurs said:

Hello everyone. My wife has a Garmin 62sc and I have just bought me a Garmin  64st. We are  Premium Members and the "Send to my Garmin GPS" does not work .

"Send To Garmin" is one supported way to send caches to a Garmin GPS.  Do not confuse this feature with "Send To GPS" which uses a protocol no longer supported in most modern browsers.  If you genuinely miss "Send To GPS" and otherwise have the technical ability to keep browser plugins functioning, see the hundreds of posts in this Forum about the risks, options, and techniques involved with using "Garmin Communicator".  "Send To GPS" is changing at this time, it's slowly going away.  Evidently many people can still use it, so it's still available.  You may decide it's not worth all the extra work.

You don't need any "plugin" to save GPX files to a GPS, as single caches or entire unzipped Pocket Queries.  To save one cache page, click "GPX File" on a cache page, and save it to the proper folder on the GPS.  On a Garmin GPS, the folder is Garmin/GPX.  If you did just that, you'd be caching by now. :)

Or use Send To Garmin:

Make Lists of caches.

Click the "Send To Garmin" on a List.  This uses "Garmin Express".

If you have Garmin Express, especially if it worked previously, download and install the most recent version.  You can manually test that you have the most recent version in Garmin Express by clicking the Settings button of Garmin Express (looks like a gear), and then clicking "About".  On July 14, 2018, Garmin Express version 6.6.0.0 was the current version.  Manually check that if you're seeing errors.

If you have the latest version and "Garmin Express" is showing errors, post the errors.  First check to ensure there's not already a current thread (or a half-dozen) about it. There are occasional web site issues that cause errors.

I use Pocket Queries and save them to my GPS in advance of a cache trip as described above, so that I don't have the excitement of stuff not working.  I don't enjoy spending time fiddling with software instead of Geocaching. ;)

Edited by kunarion
On 7/14/2018 at 7:19 AM, Keystone said:

To @Calcows and @LesButineurs - please clarify whether you are trying to use the "Send to my GPS" button on a cache page (which is no longer supported by Garmin or anyone else) or the "Send to Garmin" feature for transferring a list.

Well considering the topic of this thread is "Send to Garmin".  Good point, the Send to my GPS has not worked for about a year, give or take.  You would think by now they would simply remove it.  That is ok, I gave up (as usual) and simply wrote a pocket query.

• Upvote 1

PROBLÈME RÉSOLU.

Moi aussi, ça fonctionne maintenant. Je peux continuer à utiliser la fonction (...) Envoi vers Garmin (Send to Garmin). Je branche mon GPSMAP64S de Garmin dans le port USB et j'envoie mes listes de Geocaching.com directement dans mon GPS64.

Ça ne fonctionnait plus depuis 2-3 mois.

Pour que ça fonctionne à nouveau sans avoir à faire des "Pocket Querries" à partir de "Mes listes", il faut que vous mettiez à jour votre appli Garmin Express sur votre ordinateur.

Comment? Avec mon GPS64 déjà branché dans le port USB, j'ai double-cliqué sur l'icone Garmin Express sur mon PC, ensuite, j'ai cliqué sur la petite "gear" blanche qui donne accès aux paramètres, ensuite cliqué sur "À propos de" dans Paramètres. Puis "Rechercher des mises à jour pour Express". Si vous téléchargez la version 6.6.0.0 , votre GPS pourra continuer à recevoir vos listes de Geocaching via le téléchargement dans le rond avec trois points.

Vraiment content que ça fonctionne comme avant.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Me too, it works now. I can continue to use the (...) Send to Garmin function. I plug my Garmin GPSMAP64S into the USB port and send my Geocaching.com listings directly to my GPS64.

It did not work anymore for 2-3 months.

To make it work again without having to make "Pocket Querries" from "My Lists", you need to update your Garmin Express app on your computer.

How? With my GPS64 already plugged into the USB port, I double-clicked on the Garmin Express icon on my PC, then I clicked on the small white "gear" that gives access to the settings, then clicked on "To about "in Settings (the bottom choice). Then "Check for Updates for Express". If you download version 6.6.0.0, your GPS can continue to receive your Geocaching lists via the download in the round with three points.

Really glad that it works as good as before.