Corrected coordinates.

mjaje

1 hour ago, alain4s said:

The left hand that doesn't know what the right hand has done is not a "feature". Looks more like an obsolete database query that didn't get updated when new types of caches were added.

No, it was an intentional feature to facilitate geoart and described as such in the release notes, at the expense of anyone else who might want to see where the cache they found actually was after the fact.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

No, it was an intentional feature to facilitate geoart and described as such in the release notes, at the expense of anyone else who might want to see where the cache they found actually was after the fact.

I must've missed it, but where did a Lackey say that the feature was meant to facilitate geoart?  I don't see that that reasoning was stated by a Lackey anywhere.

Showing found caches at their original location is how all caches were shown in the past, before the corrected coords feature was in place. The new feature makes it easier to plan searches, as it shows where unfound caches are located. It doesn't make cache planning or 'found' viewing any more difficult than it was before the feature.

Found caches can still be viewed at their corrected locations the same way as they could before the corrected coords feature was enacted. By downloading a PQ and using a 3rd party program to view them on a map. Some methods were described in THIS THREAD.

Edited by noncentric
43 minutes ago, noncentric said:

I must've missed it, but where did a Lackey say that the feature was meant to facilitate geoart?  I don't see that that reasoning was stated by a Lackey anywhere.

Showing found caches at their original location is how all caches were shown in the past, before the corrected coords feature was in place. The new feature makes it easier to plan searches, as it shows where unfound caches are located. It doesn't make cache planning or 'found' viewing any more difficult than it was before the feature.

Found caches can still be viewed at their corrected locations the same way as they could before the corrected coords feature was enacted. By downloading a PQ and using a 3rd party program to view them on a map. Some methods were described in THIS THREAD.

Looking back, you're right, they didn't actually come right out and say that was the reason. Maybe it was explained that way in a podcast at around that time or perhaps it was this exchange that put it into my head:

On 6/30/2017 at 7:25 AM, Twinklekitkat said:

Can you please clarify something? If I update the coords on a Geo-Art the pins all move to the corrected coordinates. After they are found they then move back to the posted? That is what I'm seeing but just want to verify. I like to take a screen shot of the completed geo-art after I've found them all so I just want to make sure that is how they will display. Or, can there be a toggle on, off so I could review my progress on a geo-art?

Unfound caches with solved coords will appear at the solved coords with the solved map pin. Found caches with solved coords will appear at the posted coords with the smiley map pin.

Also, prior to the change, the Search map showed found caches at their corrected coordinates so a third party workaround wasn't necessary, but that also changed to only showing them at the listed coordinates with the update.

13 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Also, prior to the change, the Search map showed found caches at their corrected coordinates so a third party workaround wasn't necessary, but that also changed to only showing them at the listed coordinates with the update.

Ah yes, I remember that. Using Search showed caches at corrected coords, using the Browsing map showed caches at the posted coords.

I'd still like for the corrected coords to transition to a toggle feature:

• ON = any cache with corrected coords show at corrected locations - caches without corrected coords show at posted coords
  • OFF = all caches [with or without corrected coords] show at their posted coords, with standard cache icons
1 hour ago, noncentric said:

I must've missed it, but where did a Lackey say that the feature was meant to facilitate geoart?  I don't see that that reasoning was stated by a Lackey anywhere

I think it is just an optimization for server load. This way there is only a small number of exceptions on the map. Without this optimization there could be thousands of exceptions to be handled on every map load in the worst case and the number is always growing. Maybe this is just a compromice between usability and costs.Who knows?

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, noncentric said:

I don't think I've seen a lackey say that reverting to the original coordinates was meant to facilitate geoart but that's the only use case that I've seen when benefits by implementing that way.  It also means that it makes it more difficult for those that want to place a cache in an area with geoart because they can't easily look on the map and see the physical locations of the finals.  Yes, there is a work around, but it is the fact that one has to employ the workaround that makes in more difficult, than say, giving users an option to view unknown/mystery caches at the published *or* solved coordinates.