Oregon 450t compass calibration failed

Mr.Victim

Hey guys, 

I've got a Garmin Oregon 450t and I realized that the compass is totally out of range the SIGHTnGO feature is totally unusable.. I've tried to calibrate the compass many times but the 3rd step fails all the time. It doesn't matter in wich direction, how fast or slow I turn the GPS. I tried it with and without GPS lock. 
Does anybody of you experience the same issues or have a solution for that problem?

I removed everything I had with me, like watch, smartphone and I stood far away from cars, buildings and power lines. Even a hard reset didn't solve the problem.

I run the latest firmware.

Thanks for your help in advance. 

The calibration on my Oregon 550 fails occasionally on step 3, but I can almost always get it to work on the second try by being more precise in the rotation. I am kind of awkward and I find the third step (end over end rotation) to be the most difficult to do and I think I sometimes wobble it side to side when attempting that step.

17 hours ago, Mr.Victim said:

Does anybody of you experience the same issues or have a solution for that problem?

One plan that works for me is to move it in increments, stopping briefly at several points in the turn to let the device catch up.

I have a theory that the first two steps affect the last. That is, it's not necessarily a failure from that final motion, but a calculation based on all three.

I also think it's a hardware thing. I can get my 450 to calibrate pretty well, maybe after a couple of attempts, but I can't remember the last time that my 650 compass calibration didn't work on the first try.