premium renew or not

JohnnyVegas

19 hours ago, on4bam said:

Go to the settings page on your profile and "edit membership".

19 hours ago, JohnnyVegas said:

Tried that. The only yearly option is auto renew 

After you renew your membership and get set up for auto renew, go to your settings page and edit membership. There, you should be able to switch off the auto renew. I've done this myself the last couple times I've renewed.

Edited by niraD
On 28/01/2018 at 7:06 PM, JohnnyVegas said:

I just tried to renew my premium member ship I appears there is not longer an option for a non auto renewable yearly membership. As I never ever sign up for auto renew on anything (it is a scam) is there an option to not auto renew on a one year membership 

Why would it be a scam? If you renew every year then why not make it auto? To me, and presumably others, it's a convenience.

56 minutes ago, colleda said:

If you renew every year then why not make it auto? To me, and presumably others, it's a convenience.

If there were an option to automatically renew or not, then I would probably choose to automatically renew.

Because there is no option, I make a point of changing my account settings to disable automatic renewal as soon as I have (manually) renewed.

It's the principle of the thing. Automatic renewals should be optional. I also don't subscribe to the free intro subscriptions that automatically convert to paid subscriptions at the end of the intro period.

• Upvote 1
On 1/30/2018 at 0:17 AM, CAVinoGal said:
On 1/29/2018 at 8:20 PM, ruylopez said:

Create a sock-puppet account. "Gift" yourself a 1 year membership from that account.

Aren't "sock puppet" accounts frowned upon?

Sock puppet accounts that are abused in some way, such as to mislead people on the forums as to who is actually posting something, yes.  (For a classic example of this, please see, "Why does my post say ringbone?")

From the forum guidelines:

5. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted in the Geocaching Forums. A sock puppet account is created and used by a person who already has a primary account, for the purpose of posting anonymously. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted, and both the sock puppet and primary accounts may be suspended from the Geocaching Forums and Geocaching.com. Please use your real, primary account for posting in the Geocaching Forums.

I do not believe that having multiple accounts by itself is a violation of the terms of use, but if I am incorrect, I welcome someone else to chime in.

Edited by hzoi
On 1/29/2018 at 8:20 PM, ruylopez said:

Create a sock-puppet account. "Gift" yourself a 1 year membership from that account.

You don't even need to.  I just "gift" myself a yearly membership from my wife.  

It is a sleazy practice to have auto-renew the only option.  It relies on people forgetting to cancel.  They say it's for the sake of "convenience"...but it's only THEIR convenience they are concerned about.  I will never renew through my account for this reason...even if they have a button to click to turn off auto-renew, it's the principle.  

1 hour ago, J Grouchy said:

It is a sleazy practice to have auto-renew the only option.  It relies on people forgetting to cancel.  They say it's for the sake of "convenience"...but it's only THEIR convenience they are concerned about.  I will never renew through my account for this reason...even if they have a button to click to turn off auto-renew, it's the principle.  

I agree, it's sleazy, but other options would be less convenient for me, so I still use auto-renew and promptly cancel it. On the plus side, the last time I did it, I got to fill out their little survey about why I'm canceling my Premium membership. I found it amusing to tell them that I'm "quitting" because of auto-renew.

First, I get it that people don't like auto-renew. I'm not debating that. For my Premium Membership, I cancel auto-renew after renewing.

What I'm wondering though, is what cachers that think geocaching.com's use of auto-renew is a 'scam' or 'sleazy' think about other memberships that are also auto-renew only: Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc. Auto-renew-only has become a common payment method with online memberships and geocaching.com makes it pretty easy to cancel it. I guess I just don't understand why there's so much outrage about it. Maybe just because it's a "change" from how it used to be, and any changes on the site seem to be seen as negative?

Edited by noncentric
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, niraD said:
2 hours ago, noncentric said:

other memberships that are also auto-renew only

I don't use any of the services you list. I do have some bills configured to be paid automatically, but that's my choice. I could also pay those bills myself each month if I preferred.

Yeah, I only use of the services I listed, but I know the others are auto-renew only and I know there are other subscription services that are also auto-renew only. And yes, it's certainly different than auto-bill-pay.  Do you not use those listed services because you just don't care to have them, or because you're against the process of auto-renew?

That seems to be the thing that confuses me the most about the tone of this thread. It's one thing to not subscribe to a service because someone just doesn't care to have that service, but if it's a service someone wants and uses, then 'quitting' that desired service because it's auto-renew seems odd to me.

The difference is (as far as I know the services listed) that they are monthly services that are used on a daily basis. For many geocaching is a sporadic activity sometimes even for one family member which makes it a lot easier to forget about. Most of the services I pay for have an option for manual or automatic payments but GS just decides for it's customers.When subscribing to a service (like Netflix), you have to agree to the automatic payment

Given the questions on this forum (where only a small fraction of cachers come anyway) it's not even clear how to stop auto-renew.

Auto-renew should be a choice and not automatically set.

20 hours ago, hzoi said:

From the forum guidelines:

5. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted in the Geocaching Forums. A sock puppet account is created and used by a person who already has a primary account, for the purpose of posting anonymously. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted, and both the sock puppet and primary accounts may be suspended from the Geocaching Forums and Geocaching.com. Please use your real, primary account for posting in the Geocaching Forums.

I do not believe that having multiple accounts by itself is a violation of the terms of use, but if I am incorrect, I welcome someone else to chime in.

Outside the context of geocaching, a sock puppet is more than just creating a second account to post anonymously.   It's when that account is abused (acting as a shill, making inflammatory posts) that is becomes  a sock puppet.  There are more than a few forum users that use a separate account from their primary player account but never use it for nefarious purposes.  Some users with PM accounts will created a basic membership account so that they can comment on issues that basic members are seeing.  I've had a PM since 2007 and if someone describes an issue they're having as a basic membership it's difficult to help without being able to log in as a basic member (no, I don't have a separate basic membership account).  Most reviewers have a primary player account and a separate account used for reviewer duties and forum posting.  Some will use both accounts when posting to the forums.  

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
6 hours ago, noncentric said:

Do you not use those listed services because you just don't care to have them, or because you're against the process of auto-renew?

Mostly, I just don't care to have the services you listed. But mandatory auto-renew doesn't encourage me to use them.

Soo, why, if I renewed my membership last year on Feb 17, does it expire today Feb 3 ?   Why am I losing 2 weeks ?  PayPal payment history for the last 4 years was Feb 16, 12, 16, and 17.

And on my membership edit page,  under Renewal Status, it just has a link to their Cancellation & Refund Policy.

I guess I'll see what it says tomorrow...

Edited by dixiedawn