Web Site Issue while editing new Waymark

The Snowdog

Here's an interesting little bug. I wrote up a waymark today for submission, and at one point went in to edit and all I did was add a reviewer note. When I hit "save changes" the site said "You didn't make any changes" and threw my note away. I did it again, just to make sure. To keep the note I had to change a word in the waymark description, then save. And then go change it back, because it was perfect the way it was :) So that's a legit web bug.

Edited by The Snowdog

This issue has been happening for years. To save your reviewer note, you must make a change somewhere in the waymark description or variables. Sometimes, you forget and you'll loose your entire note. It's little things like this that Groundspeak just lost interest in because Waymarking isn't a money making website. :(

I agree.  But I still don't understand why Groundspeak doesn't consider the Waymark site a money maker, since many of us, such as myself, pay a premium membership to do Waymarking almost exclusively.  Why should my money go to a hobby that I'm not really interested in?

Yes, I know, the Soggy Paper Game folks could say the same thing, but their premium membership is not going to a hobby that they're not interested in!  Groundspeak should allow folks to specify a designation on their premium memberships!

I sure hope Groundspeak monitors these threads.

I will not buy a Premium membership to Groundspeak. I would buy a Premium Membership to Waymarking, with the caveat that the money would go to Waymarking. I don't do Geocaching. I don't want to provide money to upgrade their game while my game is overlooked. For those that do both games, GS could easily make the second membership $5. Make everyone happy. Then, if there aren't enough Waymarking members to pay for whatever upgrades are wanted/needed, then GS can explain it.

1 hour ago, Manville Possum said:

Waymarking could not exist without geocachers supporting it. There are not that many Waymarkers, and many of those are not premium members. :(

Yep. I didn't even know about Waymarking until I ran across some challenge caches that required waymarks. Now I do it all the time, just because, but almost always in conjunction with geocaching and benchmarking.

13 hours ago, MountainWoods said:

...Groundspeak doesn't consider the Waymark site a money maker...

It's not, nor is benchmarking (which is why they stubbornly refuse to update the benchmark list, even once a year.) Because waymarkers and benchmarkers don't buy geocoins, and GS probably makes more profit from those than anything else.

Now, if they want an extra $5 a year from me, I'd pay that to never see the "Post on Facebook" and "Post on Twitter" buttons ever again.

This is still happening, and it is very frustrating. I had a waymark declined because the category requirements had changed long after I took photos and marked coordinates. I wrote a note to reviewer, hit "save changes," and the site told me I hadn't changed anything. I uploaded a photo to meet the new requirements, and the site still told me I hadn't changed anything. And gave me the same message about making whatever changes the reviewer demanded. It took four or five tries. Finally, I put a space in the description, and I was allowed to resubmit. I still do not know whether the reviewer ever saw my note.

So, that's two bugs, in my opinion. 

1. Adding a note to the category managers does not count as a change. As there is no other way to communicate with them about an issue, this is a problem.
  2. Uploading photos does not count as a change.
1 hour ago, msrubble said:

This is still happening, and it is very frustrating. I had a waymark declined because the category requirements had changed long after I took photos and marked coordinates. I wrote a note to reviewer, hit "save changes," and the site told me I hadn't changed anything. I uploaded a photo to meet the new requirements, and the site still told me I hadn't changed anything. And gave me the same message about making whatever changes the reviewer demanded. It took four or five tries. Finally, I put a space in the description, and I was allowed to resubmit. I still do not know whether the reviewer ever saw my note.

1. Adding a note to the category managers does not count as a change. As there is no other way to communicate with them about an issue, this is a problem.

You can message them directly. My success rate is about 70%.

Could you give the category ? It's always difficult to help without any information

• Upvote 1

This has been a bug for many years. All you have to do is make one letter change in your long description or short description or title or coordinate or variable then it will accept the new reviewer note. 

1 hour ago, Alfouine said:

Could you give the category ? It's always difficult to help without any information

Campgrounds.

Took photos in September 2018. Requirements changed in May 2019. I thought it would be good to get some of my backlog posted and did not know or notice the new requirement of a minimum number of photographs. Luckily, I had another picture, although not a good one.

It did get posted.

Campgrounds.

Took photos in September 2018. Requirements changed in May 2019. I thought it would be good to get some of my backlog posted and did not know or notice the new requirement of a minimum number of photographs. Luckily, I had another picture, although not a good one.

It did get posted.

Requirements can change when officers change, it's always better to have too much photos rather than too little