Power Trails by State

geocat_

After playing around on Google for a bit, I was surprised that I couldn't find a list of power trails listed by state.  Anyone have any resources for doing this?  Disclaimer - I'm not inclined to debate what constitutes a power trail so let's just define it as a series of easy-to-find caches (D<2) along a road (T<2) accessible by car which has at least 50 caches in the series.  

Seems like a rather subjective search criteria to me.  By the same owner? ~528 feet apart?  Other than the well publicized ones out there (e.g. ET Hwy), seems like a rather tedious manual process to me.

From what I gather in my area, people that are interested in high number days tend to download a PQ, then put together a route that maximizes the numbers (kind of a "cache machine" approach).  Kind of  an ad hoc approach to power trails.

6 hours ago, geocat_ said:

After playing around on Google for a bit, I was surprised that I couldn't find a list of power trails listed by state. ... Disclaimer - I'm not inclined to debate what constitutes a power trail so let's just define it as "XXXXX"

That's the rub right there - YOUR definition of a power trail is just that...YOUR definition.  There is no "standard" definition of a power trail (see the many threads on this forum debating that) - so having a defintive list of undefined "power trails" by state is an oxymoron, at best.  Whoever puts it together will use their definition and criteria, which may not be the same as yours or mine.

Your best bet is  to simply look at the map for the areas you want to find "power trails" and compile your own list from your criteria.

There was that one thread a while back where a cacher listed several "power trails" (by his definition) that he was putting on his ignore list. See  HERE  and subsequent posts in that thread where he added more names. Since there are usually a lot of caches in power trails, then a bookmark could include just the first (#1, #001, etc) one in each trail to keep it readable.

Actually, if you check out the bookmark lists that the ET 0001 cache is on, then you'll see that there are several bookmark lists of "power trails" that have been created by other cachers. The same could be done by looking at other PT caches and seeing what bookmark lists those caches are on.  Of course, the completeness of those lists and whether they conform with your definition of a power trail is uncertain. For example:  EX1   EX2    EX3    EX4    EX5    EX6      EX7

• Upvote 1

Yes, a clickable link that brings up a list would be the easiest. On the other hand, manually finding power trails doesn't seem that hard to do either. I just brought up a geocaching map close the Houston area and found 3 different trails in less than a minute. I simply looked for the lines of caches then clicked on a couple of the caches in each to make sure. It's pretty simple when the caches you click on have the same names and low difficulty ratings.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

Yes, a clickable link that brings up a list would be the easiest. On the other hand, manually finding power trails doesn't seem that hard to do either. I just brought up a geocaching map close the Houston area and found 3 different trails in less than a minute. I simply looked for the lines of caches then clicked on a couple of the caches in each to make sure. It's pretty simple when the caches you click on have the same names and low difficulty ratings.

I've found the map to be the easiest way to discover power trails as well.  There are a lot of places outside the US that have a log of power trails as well.  For example, take a look at the map for Seoul, South Korea ( https://www.geocaching.com/map/#?ll=37.516863,-233.043337&z=12 ) 

6 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

Yep.  I look for large, green areas with few caches first now, but if I was looking for a "power trail" they're easily found on the map.   :)

Thanks everyone.  I do the "look at the map" thing too but just wondered if there was any sort of list.  Basically, I am asking because this is going to be a busy year for me...getting married, buying a new house, moving....so my caching will be more limited.  I would like to get 1000 or more caches this year as I have every year since I started caching, but I was looking for a way to get a bunch late in the year if necessary.  

On 1/24/2018 at 3:39 PM, geocat_ said:

Thanks everyone.  I do the "look at the map" thing too but just wondered if there was any sort of list.  Basically, I am asking because this is going to be a busy year for me...getting married, buying a new house, moving....so my caching will be more limited.  I would like to get 1000 or more caches this year as I have every year since I started caching, but I was looking for a way to get a bunch late in the year if necessary.  

Block out a week for travel late in the summer/early fall and hit the E.T highway. You'll get your numbers up there for sure. :)

• Upvote 1