GPSMAP 78sc loading GARMIN TOPO 24K SE

GPS-Hermit

I am trying to use Basecamp to Load the maps to the GPS and it all goes well - except level 800ft and .2feet zoom level never make it into the GPS. While pressing the + or - Zoom button these two levels show no map or anything else. Above and Below these Levels is all there (I think). Has anyone had this problem and know the solution I would be very greatful! Garmin says I bought outdoor software and installed it on a Marine GPS - which I think is a copout - nowhere I have found say it will not work! The GPS has Geocaching features! I just need to get all the maps in there and use the GPS like anyone else does! Basecamp is up to Date and so is the GPS software! Using Windows 7 on a desktop! TOPO US 24K Southeast loaded to Basecamp and the missing levels are present in Basecamp before downloading! The disc is a DVD.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

Maps don't have different "levels" built into them. They are vector graphics (except for custom maps, which are usually rasterized), and the zoom buttons do just that - zoom in and out. The map data doesn't change, but the GPS might hide or show different pieces of data based on zoom level depending on your map display settings. The issue you are having would not be from basecamp or the Topo US 24k map, but the GPS itself. I'm not sure why it would fail to draw the map at those specific zoom levels, but that is what's happening.

I have now found out by playing with settings that the level of detail choosen affects which level shows up - Change the level from NORMAL to MOST and I still have TWO Levels missing but they different Levels. Not sure if that helps! Still like to show them all! Looks like certain zoom levels are unable to show the map at all!

Does this problem occur with any other maps that you have installed (such as the marine chart that comes with the "c" unit)? Try disabling all but one map at a time and see if you can reproduce the results. I know that *shouldn't* be an issue - the 78 series and its hiking sister the 62 series are both capable of having multiple maps enabled on the device at a time.

You might also consider turning off terrain shading if it's turned on. That can cause the map to draw slower, especially in a detailed area.

Some other questions: How old is your GPS? How much use has it gotten over the years (assuming you've had it for a while)? Have you considered performing a master reset? 

I would guess that is the problem.  Another map turned on.

The map "can" be setup to only be visible at certain range of levels, but with a Garmin brand map, you should be able to keep zooming in.  Normally the limit is only the point at which they disappear zooming out.

20 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Maps don't have different "levels" built into them. They are vector graphics (except for custom maps, which are usually rasterized), and the zoom buttons do just that - zoom in and out. The map data doesn't change, but the GPS might hide or show different pieces of data based on zoom level depending on your map display settings. The issue you are having would not be from basecamp or the Topo US 24k map, but the GPS itself. I'm not sure why it would fail to draw the map at those specific zoom levels, but that is what's happening.

Garmin maps do have 'different levels' of data, one for each zoom range, and a map maker can compile their maps to show any data they desire for each zoom level. For example, there are Garmin maps that display BirdsEye imagery at lower zoom levels and traditional vector data at higher zoom levels. Garmin maps also have a layer that remains visible at all zoom levels, regardless of GPSr settings. Changing zoom settings on a GPSr simply tells the GPSr which layer of the map you wish to display, and it will scale that data on the screen, up or down, as desired, until the next zoom level (or layer) is selected. There are no limits on how many layers (or zoom levels) a Garmin map is required to contain.

• Upvote 1