Calendar is just hopeless...

The Snowdog

We all know that the "visit" calendar in your profile actually uses the date you submit a waymark visit, not the date of the visit itself. Well now it seems to be off in its own time zone. I submitted four visits on the 19th, for the 19th - they don't show up on the 19th. And I just now submitted one - local time 10:30 PM, Central Standard Time - and it shows up on TOMORROW'S calendar date. Geez. Is the server set to Atlantic time or something?

Edited by The Snowdog

I am sure the calendar for posting is set to Pacific Time. I am currently not much into visiting, because I have visited all in a reasonable distance long ago, but this looks like the visit calendar has a different time zone. Don't ask for a reason, you will not get an answer. My guess is UTC, anything else would be even more weird (but not impossible).

Sorry, but I don't quite understand the problem. I once created a waymark at 11am local time. Looking at the waymark (before submitting it) it said that it was created at 2am. Depending on daylight saving time or not it might also be 1am. Since then I know that whenever I create a waymark after 10am, it will always have the same date as we have here. If I create it between 12pm and 9am, it will have the date of yesterday. As far as I understand it, it doesn't matter, when the waymark is accepted by the officers or published by me. It's always the date of creation (which is the first time that I save a waymark). If that is not correct, please let me know. With that in mind I was able to have "252 consecutive days with posts from 5/25/2017 to 1/31/2018" and "44 consecutive days with visits from 12/20/2017 to 2/1/2018" and my calendars are filling up continously.

Only Feb, 29th will take some time to fill. :-)

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Sorry, but I don't quite understand the problem. I once created a waymark at 11am local time. Looking at the waymark (before submitting it) it said that it was created at 2am. Depending on daylight saving time or not it might also be 1am. Since then I know that whenever I create a waymark after 10am, it will always have the same date as we have here. If I create it between 12pm and 9am, it will have the date of yesterday. As far as I understand it, it doesn't matter, when the waymark is accepted by the officers or published by me. It's always the date of creation (which is the first time that I save a waymark). If that is not correct, please let me know. With that in mind I was able to have "252 consecutive days with posts from 5/25/2017 to 1/31/2018" and "44 consecutive days with visits from 12/20/2017 to 2/1/2018" and my calendars are filling up continously.

Only Feb, 29th will take some time to fill. :-)

Yes, that's the way we play it. I don't have a problem with it and neither have a lot of other players.

BUT I can imagine that this behavior can be confusing and look like a bug when you are a new member and and expect something totally different.

There is a minor problem, though. It looks like the visit calendar has a different time zone than the posting calendar. This is indeed somewhat weird, and we have not yet clearly identified said time zone. I guess it's UTC (posting is PST).

"BUT I can imagine that this behavior can be confusing and look like a bug when you are a new member and and expect something totally different..."

Oh, I assure you that it is indeed a bug. When I started posting waymarks I went through some recent vacation photos and posted a few waymarks photographed during that time, dating my visits correctly (a month or so in the past) - and the calendar always puts them on the date the waymark was posted. It appears that the "visits for each day of the year" calendar doesn't look at the visit date at all.

Edited by The Snowdog
58 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

Oh, I assure you that it is indeed a bug. [...] It appears that the "visits for each day of the year" calendar doesn't look at the visit date at all.

Yes, that is correct. The visit calendar looks at the keyboard date. And maybe this was a bug in the beginning.

But meanwhile so many players have arranged with that and play their game based on it e.g. filling the calendar by logging a visit each day.

Thus, I can also assure you that you would make more people angry than happy by "correcting" it.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, fi67 said:

There is a minor problem, though. It looks like the visit calendar has a different time zone than the posting calendar. This is indeed somewhat weird, and we have not yet clearly identified said time zone. I guess it's UTC (posting is PST).

So far I haven't had a problem with it, but most of the time I post new waymarks and visits in the afternoon and that seems to be the best time to do it, because it is far from midnight in whatever time zone counts for the visits calendar. Anyway, wherever you live, you have to find out at what hour of YOUR time the Groundspeak clock shows midnight and plan your postings accordingly.

They could always add a second calendar that correctly notes the visit date, and leave the old one up just as it is. Then we would have two calendars to fuss about. But I doubt that would happen. As it is I maintain my own, correct, waymarks visited calendar.

Edited by The Snowdog

I too am trying to fill my Visited/Posted calendars as well "just because". I am down to about 15 dates left for each. I needed to post on 22 February, and have done so. 4 now. All have posted to the 21st. Based on GMT I should have seen approved WM appear on the 22nd on my calendar as of 1900 EST on the 21st. I posted (with approval) after 2100 EST and the date defaulted to the 21st.  I also had 2 more approved on the 22nd on the WM page - they show up on the calendar on the 21st. I have just had another WM approved as of 30 minutes ago (1800 EST). WM page shows approved on 22nd, calendar  still shows 21st.

I can understand the date/time "glitch" that fills in dated based on when a WM is approved/or visited. That's how it's always been. It's just these odd dates that do NOT conform to that that are maddening.

I would hate to think I will have to wait another year just for one date (yeah, it's a numbers thing :))

I'm afraid I don't understand the date problem others are experiencing, maybe we're just lucky. We live in the Pacific time zone, same as Groundspeak and if a WM is posted at 23:59 on the 21st, it shows as being posted on the 21st and goes in our calendar in the 21st. If I post 2 minutes later at 00:01 it will show up everywhere as having been posted on the 22nd. As best I can remember they ALWAYS get posted on the correct date. Strange that others should experience otherwise.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
2 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

I'm afraid I don't understand the date problem others are experiencing, maybe we're just lucky. We live in the Pacific time zone, same as Groundspeak and if a WM is posted at 23:59 on the 21st, it shows as being posted on the 21st and goes in our calendar in the 21st. If I post 2 minutes later at 00:01 it will show up everywhere as having been posted on the 22nd. As best I can remember they ALWAYS get posted on the correct date. Strange that others should experience otherwise.

Keith

Indeed, once you know it or if you happen to live in the same time zone, there is no problem. I've been knowing for years that the servers are set to Pacific Time and I neither had any problems with wrong dates ever.

But in this thread some new facts were discovered about the visits calendar, I did not know before. The database for visits has a different setting. If you are keen on proper visit dates you will have observe other times. We are not sure yet which ones, but it is either GMT or UTC (does not make a difference now, but with DST in a couple of weeks, it will).

fi67, as Keith mentioned we do not experience a problem with posting submissions. 

Just recently I started doing "visits" and there seems to be a discrepancy with the dates i also have noticed. Annoying, yes, but we do not visit very often only if I am posting a new waymark and check "nearest waymarks" or it is already done but in a different category. 

Since we are discussing visits, (it probably been answered) there is a discrepancy in our visits: 425 waymarks (421 distinct), I do not understand the difference. 

I did look at our visits to see if there are duplicates to the same waymark, however there were a few that were named the same, but different categories and in some cases a different submitter. If someone could explain this to me, I would appreciate it. 

Edited by BK-Hunters
2 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

fi67, as Keith mentioned we do not experience a problem with posting submissions. 

Just recently I started doing "visits" and there seems to be a discrepancy with the dates i also have noticed. Annoying, yes, but we do not visit very often only if I am posting a new waymark and check "nearest waymarks" or it is already done but in a different category. 

Since we are discussing visits, (it probably been answered) there is a discrepancy in our visits: 425 waymarks (421 distinct), I do not understand the difference. 

I did look at our visits to see if there are duplicates to the same waymark, however there were a few that were named the same, but different categories and in some cases a different submitter. If someone could explain this to me, I would appreciate it. 

All I know is that duplicate visits are part of that difference. But there must be another part. I also have a difference of 1 that I cannot explain. Or I just have not found this duplicate yet.

3 hours ago, fi67 said:

All I know is that duplicate visits are part of that difference. But there must be another part. I also have a difference of 1 that I cannot explain. Or I just have not found this duplicate yet.

Okay, I have spent the last hour or two looking for those duplicates so far none. But I did recall from awhile back that if I inadvertently tried to post a visit to one I already visited I got this message: You have already visited this waymark.

I just tried it again and got the same message, so I am wondering how you can post a duplicate and not heed this message. I do not think you can proceed to still visit it for a second time, though I did not try it. 

Curious minds want to know. :)

Edited by BK-Hunters

'You have already visited this waymark' warning was not always in place.  Perhaps a multiple visit took place long long ago.  I visit much much more than I create.  In my experience, the total waymarks and the total distinct eventually catch up and equal out.

Edited by elyob
3 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Okay, I have spent the last hour or two looking for those duplicates so far none. But I did recall from awhile back that if I inadvertently tried to post a visit to one I already visited I got this message: You have already visited this waymark.

I just tried it again and got the same message, so I am wondering how you can post a duplicate and not heed this message. I do not think you can proceed to still visit it for a second time, though I did not try it. 

Curious minds want to know. :)

Well.....if you are working on scavenger hunts, you have to ignore that message.   Anything included in a scavenger hunt MUST be visited after the hunt was created, meaning you very well may have to visit a waymark a second or third time.  You CAN exclude any waymarks you have created and/or already visited, but in SOME instances that might mean there's nothing left to visit.

35 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Well.....if you are working on scavenger hunts, you have to ignore that message.   Anything included in a scavenger hunt MUST be visited after the hunt was created, meaning you very well may have to visit a waymark a second or third time.  You CAN exclude any waymarks you have created and/or already visited, but in SOME instances that might mean there's nothing left to visit.

and if I decide to do one of Max & 99's scavenger hunts, even if they selected not to use any of their waymarks, it could definitely have one or more of mine. And then I'd have to visit one of my own.

Vulture1957 first approved waymark - 7/25/2012.

BK-Hunters first approved waymark - 7/22/2012

I was looking at your profile to see how scavenger hunts were posted on your profile... Have you completed any? 

We have looked at the scavenger hunts a few times, however the closest one is about 800 miles from us and most of the area is already waymarked.  :rolleyes:

When I saw the date of your first waymark I thought it looked familiar

Edited by BK-Hunters
1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

Vulture1957 first approved waymark - 7/25/2012.

BK-Hunters first approved waymark - 7/22/2012

I was looking at your profile to see how scavenger hunts were posted on your profile... Have you completed any? 

We have looked at the scavenger hunts a few times, however the closest one is about 800 miles from us and most of the area is already waymarked.  :rolleyes:

When I saw the date of your first waymark I thought it looked familiar

I've looked at the scavenger hunts around here. It seems that they have too many entries in the same or very similar categories. I would rather go on more of a Way Tour.

We may have started at almost the same time, but someone has been slacking, or someone has been really busy!  ;-)

If you are going to Denton, we could do one together.

Yippee. Just got home from vacation. Logged five days worth of waymarks (all with visit dates correctly entered). And I still have five blanks on the calendar. But today, on the other hand - no waymarks actually visited, but since I logged them all today that calendar square has all of them!

13 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

Yippee. Just got home from vacation. Logged five days worth of waymarks (all with visit dates correctly entered). And I still have five blanks on the calendar. But today, on the other hand - no waymarks actually visited, but since I logged them all today that calendar square has all of them!

Yes, that is the way the Waymarking calendar works.  You get credit for when you log not when you visit.  Maintaining a Waymarking streak can be almost impossible if you are away from the web site for too many hours.

The launch of geocaching's Planetary Pursuit faced challenges, partly due to issues of exactly when the log (not the visit) took place.

Edited by elyob