Release Notes (Geocaching® app) - January 22, 2018

Release Notes (Geocaching® app) - January 22, 2018

We are happy to announce Japanese language support in the latest iOS app update*! This release also displays the customized cover image from your Geocaching.com Profile in your mobile profile on both platforms.

In every release, we also fix bugs and make other small improvements to the Geocaching® app. On the iOS platform we fixed a bug that was showing some events on the wrong date.

*Japanese language support is already available in the Geocaching® Android app.

Ben (Ben H) from HQ’s Product Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Unrelated comments may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks! 

20 hours ago, tumbleweed42 said:

Uploaded version 5.8.5 and app is still crashing on my iPhone 7. 

20 hours ago, dj1974 said:

Can’t get this app to load after the new update. It keeps crashing on my IPhone. 

I'm sorry you're both having trouble with this release. We're aware of crashing issues for some users and working to resolve them ASAP. dj1974 - Can you confirm that you're update to the 5.8.5 version?

I did have the 5.8.5 version. I still couldn’t get it to work, even after restarting my phone several times. So this afternoon I just deleted it from the phone, restarted my phone and then downloaded the app again. It fully loaded this time and seems to be working properly. Thanks

Edited by dj1974
45 minutes ago, dj1974 said:

I did have the 5.8.5 version. I still couldn’t get it to work, even after restarting my phone several times. So this afternoon I just deleted it from the phone, restarted my phone and then downloaded the app again. It fully loaded this time and seems to be working properly. Thanks

Thanks for confirming. Fortunately, our analytics show that the crash is not affecting too many users right now. It happens during database migration after the update and is probably more likely to happen if you have many drafts, personal cache notes, or caches saved offline.

Unfortunately, if you are affected by this crash after updating the only remedy right now is to delete the app and reinstall it as you did. We know that is not acceptable as a "solution", though, so we're working right now on a fix for the migration crash. Thanks for your patience.