Waymarkers Meet and Greet Event

10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

We were there! Didn't you see the wink I gave you? The Chief would only allow us to attend if we went incognito. We brought you the pizzas!

JK. It sounds like it was a great Meet and Greet!

well, I need to meet with you two sometime soon to get the Sticker Seeker. When would be good? I'm sorta retired, so anytime is good for me.

We had a great time meeting the other Waymarkers that were able to attend.  Although it was geared toward educating folks (typically geocachers) about Waymarking to "get them over the edge" and into the hobby, it was great getting to compare notes with other experienced Waymarkers also.  Fun!

Thanks 8Nuts MotherGoose!

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Mountain Woods, for making the trip from Missouri, and Thank you, Vulture1957, for making the trip from Oklahoma.

Thank you, Benchmark Blasterz, for NOT taking that trip to Colorado. We enjoyed your company, and listening to your talk.

Yes, the Event at J & J Pizza, ended up being a training session for Geocachers. Many of them came to learn more about Waymarking and we couldn't disappoint them.

Next year, the Texas Challenge will be at Seguin, TX. It is located about 25 miles east of San Antonio on I-10. I am in charge of the Committee that will be planning that Mega Event. I will be very busy for the next year. I will be too busy all weekend to host a Waymarkers Gathering Event. If someone else would like to take charge of setting something up, I will do what I can to get it in the schedule.

I still have Waymark Stickers available at $1.00 each. I'll pay the postage for delivery within the US. You can contact me at 8nuts1@gmail.com

Edit to add the last line.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
Edit to add a line.
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Thank you, Mountain Woods, for making the trip from Missouri, and Thank you, Vulture1957, for making the trip from Oklahoma.

Thank you, Benchmark Blasterz, for NOT taking that trip to Colorado. We enjoyed your company, and listening to your talk.

Yes, the Event at J & J Pizza, ended up being a training session for Geocachers. Many of them came to learn more about Waymarking and we couldn't disappoint them.

Next year, the Texas Challenge will be at Seguin, TX. It is located about 25 miles east of San Antonio on I-10. I am in charge of the Committee that will be planning that Mega Event. I will be very busy for the next year. I will be too busy all weekend to host a Waymarkers Gathering Event. If someone else would like to take charge of setting something up, I will do what I can to get it in the schedule.

I still have Waymark Stickers available at $1.00 each. I'll pay the postage for delivery within the US. You can contact me at 8nuts1@gmail.com

Edit to add the last line.

Ooooh, I have a waymark to make by there. A great Doobies Brothers song about a "little town down around San Antone" for the "Immortalized in Lyrics" category. I remember riding my motorcycle thru there with the song blasting from the tape player!

And San Antonio has UNESCO World Heritage site to visit. And military bases. And the Kroger I missed in Denton.3 shooting ranges I know of. River gauges. All kinds of things!

Edited by vulture1957
18 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Ooooh, I have a waymark to make by there. A great Doobies Brothers song about a "little town down around San Antone" for the "Immortalized in Lyrics" category. I remember riding my motorcycle thru there with the song blasting from the tape player!

And San Antonio has UNESCO World Heritage site to visit. And military bases. And the Kroger I missed in Denton.3 shooting ranges I know of. River gauges. All kinds of things!

Seguin is a fairly small town. Within 10 miles there are 75 Waymarks in 37 Categories. Then you start getting Waymarks in other towns.

Seguin is home of the Worlds Largest Pecan, WMPZVQ, (Roadside Attractions) which was then beaten by another town, so it became the Worlds Second Largest Pecan, WM9M7W (Superlatives). Then Seguin made a larger Pecan and took the record back, WMR870 (Realistic Object Sculpture). All three of these Waymarks have Photos of the same Pecan. I have seen the new Worlds Largest Pecan. It has not been Waymarked yet. It is 20 times larger than the one posted in these Waymarks. There is also a River Gauge in Seguin that has not been Waymarked.

I took photos of the BIG Pecan, the River Gauge, and other items. When I downloaded all my thousands of photos from my old computer onto an external hard drive, I overloaded the memory of the hard drive and now the hard drive is locked up. Can't get anything off it.

Whoever she was, I'm sure she took some professional photos of us experienced Waymarkers standing there grinning.  My wife also got a photo at the same time -- just a quick phone snap; not professional.   But it should look similar, anyways.

5. All experienced Waymarkers standing.jpg

MountainWoods (me) is the big guy in the overalls near the center.
Next to me in a kind of orange shirt is Benchmark Blasterz.
Next to her in the yellow shirt is 8Nuts MotherGoose.
Next to him in the blue shirt is TerraViators.
Next to him is Vulture1957 (which anyone will tell you is a great year).
I don't know the names of all the folks at the left (my right).  Perhaps someone can provide that information.

Edited by MountainWoods
  • Upvote 1

WMXY57 FIRST Waymarkers Meet and Greet in the World

I approved this waymark earlier today. I'm probably going to catch hell for it. But the way I see it, it fits in the category. 

For those of you that attended please make sure that you log your visit. MountainWoods has the honor of "owning it".

The next time something like this takes place in Texas, only 300 miles from me, someone better let me know about it.  Or maybe we could all meet at Woods' Ranch. 

10 hours ago, jhuoni said:

I approved this waymark earlier today. I'm probably going to catch hell for it. But the way I see it, it fits in the category. 

For those of you that attended please make sure that you log your visit. MountainWoods has the honor of "owning it".

The next time something like this takes place in Texas, only 300 miles from me, someone better let me know about it.  Or maybe we could all meet at Woods' Ranch. 

It also fits for first of it's kind, and superlatives for largest waymarker gathering.

I'm hoping the folks that put together the Festival will post a waymark for Festivals (I need a visit for that category).

1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

It also fits for first of it's kind, and superlatives for largest waymarker gathering.

I'm hoping the folks that put together the Festival will post a waymark for Festivals (I need a visit for that category).

I don’t think the Texas Challenge would qualify because it moves around, and the Festivals category is more about local festivals that happen annually in the same town.

Denton did have their annual Storytellers Festival that weekend, but the storytellers weren’t on the square - they were at the library. :( 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
18 hours ago, jhuoni said:

The problem with this waymark is that the Superlatives category description explicitly says FIRSTs are not to be accepted here, but should be submitted to the FIRSTs category. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, DougK said:

The problem with this waymark is that the Superlatives category description explicitly says FIRSTs are not to be accepted here, but should be submitted to the FIRSTs category. 

DougK 

You must have missed the last part of the category description:

PLEASE NOTE: Waymarks that qualify for inclusion in the "FIRST of Its Kind" category will NOT be accepted here. There may be some waymarks that would otherwise qualify for that category except for lack of a identifying plaque, and those may be submitted here as long as there is other recognized documentation.

I have approved quite a few based on this statement.  If there is NOT A SIGN, but the person submits info from a BOOK, WEBSITE, or OTHER REFERENCE, I WILL approve it based on the merit of the information submitted.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXPKM_FIRST_Drive_In_in_Montana - Visit Montana Website

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXTVK_FIRST_Masonry_Structure_in_Fromberg_MT - NRHP Documentation

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXDXN_FIRST_Brick_Church_Building_in_Van_Alstyne_Van_Alstyne_TX - Church Website

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXBWR_FIRST_Buddhist_Temple_in_Alberta - Town of Raymond Website

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMWWDZ_FIRST_all_electric_Cope_clock_ever_made_Nottingham_Nottinghamshire_England_UK - Southwell Churches Nothingham Website

I used to cut and paste the "rule" when I reviewed Superlative "Firsts", but stopped.

If anyone has submitted these to FIRSTS, I don't know about that as I don't review categories that I am not an officer of.

I hope this clears up this matter.  

Have a great weekend! 

John

Just now, jhuoni said:

DougK 

You must have missed the last part of the category description:

PLEASE NOTE: Waymarks that qualify for inclusion in the "FIRST of Its Kind" category will NOT be accepted here. There may be some waymarks that would otherwise qualify for that category except for lack of a identifying plaque, and those may be submitted here as long as there is other recognized documentation.

I have approved quite a few based on this statement.  If there is NOT A SIGN, but the person submits info from a BOOK, WEBSITE, or OTHER REFERENCE, I WILL approve it based on the merit of the information submitted.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXPKM_FIRST_Drive_In_in_Montana - Visit Montana Website

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXTVK_FIRST_Masonry_Structure_in_Fromberg_MT - NRHP Documentation

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXDXN_FIRST_Brick_Church_Building_in_Van_Alstyne_Van_Alstyne_TX - Church Website

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXBWR_FIRST_Buddhist_Temple_in_Alberta - Town of Raymond Website

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMWWDZ_FIRST_all_electric_Cope_clock_ever_made_Nottingham_Nottinghamshire_England_UK - Southwell Churches Nothingham Website

I used to cut and paste the "rule" when I reviewed Superlative "Firsts", but stopped.

If anyone has submitted these to FIRSTS, I don't know about that as I don't review categories that I am not an officer of.

I hope this clears up this matter.  

Have a great weekend! 

John

From THE FIRST OF A KIND description:

There must be a plaque or similar signage at the site that confirms the FIRST, and an image of the plaque should also be supplied with listing submission. All plaques MUST have the word "FIRST" or "1st" (suitable synonyms like "Oldest" or "Original" are acceptable) in the text on them to qualify, as related to the FIRST. Plaques may be metal, carved stone, wooden or similar physical material. However, brochures and fliers, or images taken from online sources are NOT sufficient. Visitors must be able to learn about the FIRST by reading a plaque at the listed coordinates by being able to walk up to it and read it for themselves to learn that the location is the "FIRST of its kind".

My 2cents: I think the WM was approved appropriately and within guidelines in the SUPERLATIVES category, since there is no plaque at the site for someone to read about the event as required by the FIRST OF ITS KIND category guidelines. But I’m not an officer in either category, so that’s just a shout out from the peanut gallery.

I hope this little waymark for our meet & greet will stand.

But if I need to, I will make some phone calls and see what I can do about getting a permanent commemoration made for J&J’s. :) They were really great hosts, and we could not have asked for better hospitality from them. 

To bad I used up my Virtual Reward Cache creating a virtual on the Oregon Trail. If I still had it in my pocket, I’d burn it on J&Js, put up a story plaque, and all would be well in Waymarking world — LOL. 

13 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

I really enjoyed the photo and the other Waymarks, and it reminds me of my home town in Gate City, Virginia. Maybe you could make a sign with a Jackalope mounted above it to fit the interior decor. :D

A Jackalope holding a WM sticker would be just perfect - Jackalopes, like waymarkers, are mysterious seldom-seem almost mythical creatures of legend :laughing:

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

Well, I can tell the Waymarkers from the Geocachers in the photo, and I would fit right in with the Waymarkers. :D

My son and I attended a Geocaching event once and some lady thought we were dressed up as possum hunters. Go figure. B)

By chance, were you there offering folks a chance to log your photo goal WM? :D

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMVJBQ_Hold_a_Live_Possum

Yeah we were definitely waymarkers - not enough mud, blood, and bug bites on us to have been out caching, and the big honking cameras were a dead giveaway   :laughing: 

• Upvote 1