Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
8Nuts MotherGoose

Waymarkers Meet and Greet Event

Recommended Posts

In a previous post about 6 months ago I talked about creating a Waymarkers Meet and Greet Event.

I have been working with the creators of GC71QAW, 16th Annual TXGA Texas Challenge & Festival, in Denton, Texas. (North of Dallas.) I've been trying to create a Waymarkers Meet and Greet Event during the weekend of March 10.
Unfortunately, the Reviewer has rejected every attempt as Event Stacking. There are no Event times available unless I go to Thursday before or late Sunday afternoon after the main Event.
The only option I have left is to host an informal Meet and Greet from 4:00 to 5:00 pm on March 10 right after the main event in the same building.

The website for the main Event, GC71QAW is: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC71QAW_16th-annual-txga-texas-challenge-festival

For the Waymarker who has never geocached, you can use your Waymarking name and password to log into Geocaching.com to view this page.

Denton, TX has 6500 Waymarks in 714 Categories within 38 miles. (61 Km.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

In a previous post about 6 months ago I talked about creating a Waymarkers Meet and Greet Event.

Guess we missed that part of your post, as we thought it was already a part of the event. We were of the impression that a table was already arranged where information and discussions would be available about Waymarking. 

We were considering attending, perhaps we need to reconsider.  It is a  l o n g  trip from British Columbia, Canada to just attend an event in Texas. 

Edited by BK-Hunters

Share this post


Link to post

This is REALLY disappointing! It’s the only reason we were going, a 40 mile trip for us. Did you let Groundspeak know about these declines? :(

We will come to the meet and greet, but are extremely disappointed in the hosts OF THE MEGA-EVENT. <— Not you, 8 Nuts

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Share this post


Link to post

It's a long way for us, but we're still seriously considering this to meet other Waymarkers.  Hope you can make it so that we have a place for all of us Waymarkers to get together for an hour or so.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

I posted a question on their cache page asking about it. I got an answer that "We tried to publish the Meet & Greet, but THEY wouldn't publish it" I guess Groundspeak wouldn't. They said they would be adding a Waymarking Meet & Greet to the event schedule, just that it won't be a cache or waymark, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post

In response to BK-Hunters, Benchmark Blasters, MountainWoods, and vulture1957:

Yes, 6 months ago I was told there was room for a Waymarking Table.
There will still be a Waymarking table.
At that time I was told I had to wait until they were ready to schedule Events before they could give me a time slot for my Event.
The problem was that all the Events were scheduled too close together in time. Since mine was the last to be submitted, it was rejected by the local Groundspeak authorized Reviewer. When I tried to move the Event to Friday afternoon, it was also rejected for being too close in time with other scheduled Events.


SO - Here's where we stand.
1. Friday, March 9, There will be a Waymarking table set up and manned from 6:00 - 9:30 pm.
2. Saturday, March 10,There will be a Waymarking table set up and manned all day, except during the Waymarkers Meet and Greet listed below. 
3. Saturday, March 10, We will have a Waymarkers Meet and Greet Meeting from 4:00 - 5:00pm the same as planned, it just won't be an Event listed on Geocaching.com.


If you decide to join us for this Meet and Greet Meeting, post a "Will Attend" on the following web page. Be sure to let them know you are coming for the Waymarkers Meet and Greet Meeting. This will let them know Waymarkers are boosting their attendance count because of this meeting.

 https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC71QAW_16th-annual-txga-texas-challenge-festival

Share this post


Link to post

I will be at the Waymarkers Table on Friday evening and most of the time on Saturday. (I might have to take a bathroom break, but I'll be right back.)

I have ordered 30 Waymark Sticker Seeker Stickers. They will be available at the table for $1 each. Create a Waymark for the Waymark Sticker and Pin Seekers Category and other Waymarkers can claim a Visit to your personal Sticker.

The International Space Station will NOT be visible during this weekend. No Waymarking opportunity for the International Space Station Sightings Category.

I have a GSAK created 17.6 MB GPX file of the 6500 Waymarks in 714 Categories within 38 miles of Denton. If you want a copy, bring a memory stick with you.

There is currently one Scavenger Hunt in Denton. Placed in 2011, 20 Waymarks within 5 miles, there are no Finishers. 

Another Scavenger Hunt 15 miles south of Denton. Placed in 2010, 15 Waymarks within 5 miles, there are no Finishers.  Trophy Club Texas

Do we need another Scavenger Hunt?

Is there anything else you are looking for.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose

Share this post


Link to post

I happen to know that there are no Safe Place Havens in Oklahoma anymore. There are some in Texas, even around Denton. So if people need to fill that grid, they can do their homework and find one of the Safe Places to Waymark. I think I need a visit, so that would be doable.

Also, Kroger Supermarkets. Visit Winstar Casino 40 miles north, no one has waymarked the border crossing on I-35

Edited by vulture1957

Share this post


Link to post

I've had similar issues with reviews and Groundspeak in my area. Just last October, there was a Mega event on the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, California. I wanted to host an event nearby the following day, but the reviewer declined my cache submission stating that cache events are not allowed within 10 miles of the mega during the weekend of the mega. I have never heard this rule before, and quite frankly its these smaller events close to the main one throughout the weekend that make going to a mega much more enjoyable, having done similar things at previous megas. My suggestion is to host an event either the Thursday leading up to the event or have it at a town center, about 10 miles away from the event during the event weekend. I'm sure it will draw some attention and "will attends". Make way marking fun, possibly do it in a sculpture garden or NRHP district to give everyone a chance to create at least one submission. Heck, you could even make it a game for visitors to visit specific buildings, art scuptures, or plaques to win a trackable. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/19/2018 at 10:29 PM, vulture1957 said:

I happen to know that there are no Safe Place Havens in Oklahoma anymore. There are some in Texas, even around Denton. So if people need to fill that grid, they can do their homework and find one of the Safe Places to Waymark. I think I need a visit, so that would be doable.

Also, Kroger Supermarkets. Visit Winstar Casino 40 miles north, no one has waymarked the border crossing on I-35

Every QT gas station is a safe place FYI :) Next time I am in OK I will make sure to stop in a few QTs 

Share this post


Link to post

Does this have to be tied to some geocaching event or something?   Why not we say that on such and so day we all meet at such and so huge restaurant for lunch, and then we can informally hang out and visit the local waymarks or something?  No need for event tables or any other such thing.  I don't care if I can't log the greet as a waymark or a geocache.  The idea is to get to meet other Waymarking folks.

This is in Denton, TX still, right?  I'm trying to keep the calendar open for it.

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, MountainWoods said:

Why not we say that on such and so day we all meet at such and so huge restaurant for lunch, and then we can informally hang out and visit the local waymarks or something? 

Sounds like a plan, we would rather spend time with other waymarkers, logging an event is not relevant to us either. 

How many do you think will attend a casual meeting, like described?

Share this post


Link to post

I'll be spending ALL my time at the Waymarking table, chatting and meeting others. As I have said before, I did I think 3 geocaches and decided it wasn't for me. Find a local brewpub to  go to afterwards and I'l  be one happy non-camper!    Lee

Share this post


Link to post

In answer to several previous responses:
The Waymarking Booth is being set up to introduce Waymarking to new geocachers who may not be aware of Waymarking. It would also allow Waymarkers a point to stop and say, "Hey, I'm in town."
Yes, I can set up a meet (And Event) on a weekday either before or after the Mega Event, but how many will take extra days off work to attend?
I set up this meet during the Texas Challenge Mega because it would get advertised through that Event web page and would be seen by many geocachers/waymarkers. How else can we reach a large group of potential or active Waymarkers? There are only a few of us who would see it on this Forum page.
If we posted a note advertising the Event as part of every approved Waymark, would anyone open the approved email to read the note?
The big problem is how to advertise it to the Waymarking Community.
Advertising is why I decided to connect the Waymarkers Meet to this Mega. There is still time to set something up on Monday-Thursday before or Monday-Friday after the Mega and it can be anyplace we choose.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I'll be spending ALL my time at the Waymarking table, chatting and meeting others. As I have said before, I did I think 3 geocaches and decided it wasn't for me. Find a local brewpub to  go to afterwards and I'l  be one happy non-camper!    Lee

Me too :)

Share this post


Link to post

Okay.  I wasn't suggesting that we abandon the table at the already-established-event, but probably supplement it with something where we can meet at a specific time -- so we can all meet each other, rather than there being per-chance meetings at the table.  The table allows those staffing it to meet other waymarkers, but it is not conducive to we non-table-staffing waymarkers to meet each other.

And I'll tell you now, I am a tea totaler and will not do the bar scene.  Period.  That's why I suggested a restaurant or something else.  It's just something to consider so that we can all get to meet each other, rather than just the onesy-twosy meeting at the table.   Perhaps we could even get a group photo.    Just some ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, MountainWoods said:

And I'll tell you now, I am a tea totaler and will not do the bar scene.

Ditto...

Share this post


Link to post

Any preference on an evening dinner meet being before the weekend or after the weekend? I can set something up for Wednesday before OR Sunday or Monday after. I would still like to make it an Event to help draw locals.

Share this post


Link to post

Before would be okay with me.

But by the way, after I typed my last response, it occurred to me that the main thing I was looking for is for all of us to meet up at the same time, and that the place does not really matter.  We could meet at your event table, as long as we all shoot for a specific time, like noon.  At that point, we could all kinda figure out which way to go from there to sit down and talk.  Might even be in a break room at the event or something.

Again, just some ideas. A dinner would be nice, but if it's a pain, we just shoot for the "meet at the table at time X" thing.

Is there a cost associated with going to the existing event where your table is?  If so, being Scottish, I would like to avoid paying a fee just to get all of us together at the same time; if possible.  (We could just go with the restaurant meet thing and get something for our bucks.)   If the event is free, we could meet at the table and go from there.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MountainWoods said:

Is there a cost associated with going to the existing event where your table is?  If so, being Scottish, I would like to avoid paying a fee just to get all of us together at the same time; if possible.  (We could just go with the restaurant meet thing and get something for our bucks.)   If the event is free, we could meet at the table and go from there.

basic sign-up is free. they have many other options (where you get stuff to do geocaching) for $$.

I was thinking -- we could make a waymark in Superlatives of "Largest Waymarking Meeting in Texas". Maybe meet at the courthouse (or some other established waymark) and all visit that waymark at the same time, too.

Share this post


Link to post

I think I found a place for everyone. 

J & J Pizza - Denton, TX. See WMXB65. There are over 100 WMs within 0.1 miles including a NRHP District. Restaurant web page is:  http://www.jandjpizzadenton.com/index.html Click on words on banner for various pages of information. I spoke to them on the phone. They do not take reservations. On Sunday they said it was not real busy and they could seat an unexpected 20+ walk-ins. We can move tables together as needed. There is bottled beer available for those who enjoy it.

Lets plan for 5:00 pm, Sunday, March 11.

I will be staying at the Super 8 Motel in Denton for Thursday thru Sunday nights. It's on I-35E just south of Denton. I am the South Texas Representative for the Texas Geocaching Association. I will be attending the Thursday through Saturday evening Events that are scheduled. I am the Host for the Sunday Breakfast Event.

I will be hosting the Waymarking Table on Friday evening during the Jazzin' up Challenge Event (6:00-9:30 pm) and all day Saturday. We are still having the informal Waymarkers Meet and Greet in the same building on Saturday from 4:00 - 5:00 pm. Coordinates for the building - N33° 13.246 W097° 08.033. Or see Event GC71QA16th Annual TXGA Texas Challenge & Festival.

There are no fees for attending any of the Events. Just walk in. My table will have a big Waymark icon on a tripod that will be easy to spot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I made up a GPX File of all Waymarks closest to Denton. It's 17.6mb. That's 6500 Waymarks out to about 40 miles. Not sure if my email will handle a file that large. I'll probably break it into two files. Closest 3000, and farthest 3500. If anyone wants a copy, email me. Let me know if you want Closest 3000 or both.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I think I found a place for everyone. 

J & J Pizza - Denton, TX. See WMXB65. There are over 100 WMs within 0.1 miles including a NRHP District. Restaurant web page is:  http://www.jandjpizzadenton.com/index.html Click on words on banner for various pages of information. I spoke to them on the phone. They do not take reservations. On Sunday they said it was not real busy and they could seat an unexpected 20+ walk-ins. We can move tables together as needed. There is bottled beer available for those who enjoy it.

Lets plan for 5:00 pm, Sunday, March 11.

I will be staying at the Super 8 Motel in Denton for Thursday thru Sunday nights. It's on I-35E just south of Denton. I am the South Texas Representative for the Texas Geocaching Association. I will be attending the Thursday through Saturday evening Events that are scheduled. I am the Host for the Sunday Breakfast Event.

I will be hosting the Waymarking Table on Friday evening during the Jazzin' up Challenge Event (6:00-9:30 pm) and all day Saturday. We are still having the informal Waymarkers Meet and Greet in the same building on Saturday from 4:00 - 5:00 pm. Coordinates for the building - N33° 13.246 W097° 08.033. Or see Event GC71QA16th Annual TXGA Texas Challenge & Festival.

There are no fees for attending any of the Events. Just walk in. My table will have a big Waymark icon on a tripod that will be easy to spot.

 

 

That looks awesome :) 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I think I found a place for everyone. 

J & J Pizza - Denton, TX. See WMXB65. There are over 100 WMs within 0.1 miles including a NRHP District. Restaurant web page is:  http://www.jandjpizzadenton.com/index.html Click on words on banner for various pages of information. I spoke to them on the phone. They do not take reservations. On Sunday they said it was not real busy and they could seat an unexpected 20+ walk-ins. We can move tables together as needed. There is bottled beer available for those who enjoy it.

Lets plan for 5:00 pm, Sunday, March 11.

I will be staying at the Super 8 Motel in Denton for Thursday thru Sunday nights. It's on I-35E just south of Denton. I am the South Texas Representative for the Texas Geocaching Association. I will be attending the Thursday through Saturday evening Events that are scheduled. I am the Host for the Sunday Breakfast Event.

I will be hosting the Waymarking Table on Friday evening during the Jazzin' up Challenge Event (6:00-9:30 pm) and all day Saturday. We are still having the informal Waymarkers Meet and Greet in the same building on Saturday from 4:00 - 5:00 pm. Coordinates for the building - N33° 13.246 W097° 08.033. Or see Event GC71QA16th Annual TXGA Texas Challenge & Festival.

There are no fees for attending any of the Events. Just walk in. My table will have a big Waymark icon on a tripod that will be easy to spot.

 

 

I agree with Blasterz.  This is great.

Share this post


Link to post

Would 5ere be a way to Skype in, since this is Spring Break? Our plans for Spring Break are a bit fuzzy at present but if we are out of town we’d love to be able to skype with y’all a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Would 5ere be a way to Skype in, since this is Spring Break? Our plans for Spring Break are a bit fuzzy at present but if we are out of town we’d love to be able to skype with y’all a bit. 

OH.SURE! We all drive hundreds of miles for a party, and the local Celebrity leaves town ;~)

But, seriously, I don't do skype, and don't know the first thing about it. If someone else wants to set it up, I have no objections.

For you who don't live in Texas. This is Spring Break time. Texas schools and colleges are closed.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

OH.SURE! We all drive hundreds of miles for a party, and the local Celebrity leaves town ;~)

But, seriously, I don't do skype, and don't know the first thing about it. If someone else wants to set it up, I have no objections.

For you who don't live in Texas. This is Spring Break time. Texas schools and colleges are closed.

LOL

I will do my best to have a Texas Spring Break, but some of the other Blasterz are looking at Denver. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

LOL

I will do my best to have a Texas Spring Break, but some of the other Blasterz are looking at Denver. 

 

I sure hope you can make it. You've been kind of a mentor since I started Waymarking. Our paths have crossed many times, only years apart, and you have givien great advice on my waymarks you have seen. I am hoping to actually meet.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah.  After all, we'll be ditching two church services that day to attend the Meet and Great, and I'm the church pianist, and my wife leads the singing.  (Fortunately we have subs for both of those positions.)

Yeah, I know.  It's usually the wife that plays the piano while the husband leads.  But we're backwards.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

" First Ever Waymarkers Gathering ", GC7HX8J has been published. Please visit the web page and post a "Will Attend"

5:00 - 7:00 pm, Sunday, March 11, J & J Pizza, Denton, TX. We can stay as late as 8:00 pm, They close at that time.

ALSO Please visit the web page and post a "Will Attend" at the web page below. Let them know you are coming for the Waymarkers table and Event. That will let them know that we are boosting their attendance numbers and maybe we can get a Waymarkers Meet and Greet each year.

16th Annual TXGA Texas Challenge & Festival, GC71QAW  

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

" First Ever Waymarkers Gathering ", GC7HX8J has been published. Please visit the web page and post a "Will Attend"

5:00 - 7:00 pm, Sunday, March 11, J & J Pizza, Denton, TX. We can stay as late as 8:00 pm, They close at that time.

ALSO Please visit the web page and post a "Will Attend" at the web page below. Let them know you are coming for the Waymarkers table and Event. That will let them know that we are boosting their attendance numbers and maybe we can get a Waymarkers Meet and Greet each year.

16th Annual TXGA Texas Challenge & Festival, GC71QAW  

Wish I could go, but it's quite far from California. Would anyone be interested in a similar event like this in California? Metro2? DougK? Saopalo1?

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/29/2018 at 8:18 AM, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Every QT gas station is a safe place FYI :) Next time I am in OK I will make sure to stop in a few QTs 

No QTs around OK City. The other weekend we drove thru Tulsa on the way to Missouri and did see some QTs, with Safe Place signs. But according to the Safe Place web site, there are none. (I should have stopped and waymarked one to get a Safe Place in my state.)

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/4/2018 at 4:22 PM, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

" First Ever Waymarkers Gathering ", GC7HX8J has been published. Please visit the web page and post a "Will Attend"

5:00 - 7:00 pm, Sunday, March 11, J & J Pizza, Denton, TX. We can stay as late as 8:00 pm, They close at that time.

ALSO Please visit the web page and post a "Will Attend" at the web page below. Let them know you are coming for the Waymarkers table and Event. That will let them know that we are boosting their attendance numbers and maybe we can get a Waymarkers Meet and Greet each year.

16th Annual TXGA Texas Challenge & Festival, GC71QAW  

a "First of it's Kind" waymark!

Share this post


Link to post

Does everyone have their Waymarking Sticker Seekers sticker ready?  If you don't have one, I have a friend who knows someone who works with someone who bought extras from Shop Geocaching.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Does everyone have their Waymarking Sticker Seekers sticker ready?  If you don't have one, I have a friend who knows someone who works with someone who bought extras from Shop Geocaching.

We’ve got ours :)

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Does everyone have their Waymarking Sticker Seekers sticker ready?  If you don't have one, I have a friend who knows someone who works with someone who bought extras from Shop Geocaching.

My pin is on the front of my hat, my stickers are on my notebooks. All 3 will be with me.

Is there going to  be wifi available at the convention?

Share this post


Link to post

I'll probably be coming directly to J&J's at the specified time, because I doubt that I can get to the regular event in time.  Looks like J&J Pizza is a nice small storefront from a street view - nice and cozy.   However, if it's larger than it looks like to me, what name should we ask for when we get there?  The Waymarkers? Or ....?  (Remember, most of us don't know what the rest of us look like!)

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/27/2018 at 3:36 PM, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Here's one for those planning to attend the Event in Denton, TX. If you are attempting to fill that Grid with Icons you may want to plan a side trip to Paris, TX. It's about 120 miles ENE of Denton.

Waymark Category: In search of the Celts   http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2653_Paris_TX

 

How did he manage to get that approved???

I quote: "Additionally, locations can be of city/village/dorf/named place limit signs or major landmarks of cities whose name can be traced to Celtic origin (Only 1 waymark per city/village/dorf/named place please). Examples : Paris and Chartres. (No New World cities named after the Old World original please)."

Keith

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

How did he manage to get that approved???

I quote: "Additionally, locations can be of city/village/dorf/named place limit signs or major landmarks of cities whose name can be traced to Celtic origin (Only 1 waymark per city/village/dorf/named place please). Examples : Paris and Chartres. (No New World cities named after the Old World original please)."

Keith

That Waymark was posted over a decade ago (Wow has if been that long ago, and we keep on ticking!). What I can think of is the restriction was added to the category shortly after and probably as a result of that submission. I think it is the only case.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/27/2018 at 6:35 PM, Max and 99 said:

Does everyone have their Waymarking Sticker Seekers sticker ready?

I have ordered and received 30 Waymark Stickers, They will be available for $1.00 each.

On 2/28/2018 at 10:38 AM, MountainWoods said:

I'll probably be coming directly to J&J's at the specified time. What name should we ask for when we get there?

 

On 2/28/2018 at 10:38 AM, MountainWoods said:

what name should we ask for when we get there?

 

I will have a 2 foot by 2 foot Waymarking sign on a tripod by the table for both Friday evening and Saturday. It will also be set up at the pizza parlor on Sunday. I'll tell the pizza folks we are Waymarkers.

 

On 2/27/2018 at 11:08 PM, vulture1957 said:

Is there going to  be wifi available at the convention?

I was told there is wifi available in the main building during Friday and Saturday. I don't know about J & J Pizza. It has not been Waymarked as a wifi location.

 

Sorry about the late response on these questions. I've been taking care of a sick spouse. I was beginning to think I might not be able to make it. She's doing much better and told me I can go outside and play with my friends.

 

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:
On 2/27/2018 at 6:35 PM, Max and 99 said:

Does everyone have their Waymarking Sticker Seekers sticker ready?

I have ordered and received 30 Waymark Stickers, They will be available for $1.00 each.

they may still need to make their waymark, if they haven't already done so.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/4/2018 at 7:21 PM, vulture1957 said:

they may still need to make their waymark, if they haven't already done so.

Yes, but they can create the Waymark in advance. Then when they get the sticker, create and add the photo and submit through the wi-fi in the building.

I will have a laptop with me if they need to log into their account to complete their Sticker Waymark and submit.

I'll contact the Sticker Seeker Group and warn them there may be several submissions that weekend.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, the first ever Waymarkers Gathering is in the books! We must have had more than 20 folks there at J&J Pizza. 8Nuts gave the newbies a little history lesson of Waymarking and an intro. It seemed that it was well received and many of them may take up Waymarking or do more. We had 4 Waymark Stickers there and most attendees got pictures with us to post visits to our waymarks and get their (possibly) first log entry. Great seeing everyone. Missed Max and 99 and BK-Hunters. I hope we can do this at next year's Texas Challenge event.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

We were there! Didn't you see the wink I gave you? The Chief would only allow us to attend if we went incognito. We brought you the pizzas!

JK. It sounds like it was a great Meet and Greet!

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×