CO has not Logged on in 2 years

GPS-Hermit

I have had Needs ARCHIVING post on more than one of my caches based solely upon the fact that I had no reason to log on to the cache in quite some time! Q. Where is this information available - I don't see it on my cache page - how do they know the last time I logged on! If the cache is in good shape, in place, and hidden properly why is not logging on a criteria for requesting anything! Confused!

38 minutes ago, GPS-Hermit said:

Where is this information available - I don't see it on my cache page

It's on your public profile page, under your name and the date you joined geocaching.com.

I agree that not having a recent login date by itself would not be a reason for a needs archived log.  However, for caches that have maintenance issues, I have seen reviewers use this as evidence that the CO is no longer tending to his or her caches and archiving caches -- but even then, reviewers almost always start out by disabling the cache and giving the owner 30 days to respond.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, GPS-Hermit said:

My Fault! I maintain caches by others as well like Squid229! Draper Mountain Cache!

Have you officially adopted their caches? That might be a problem. If they no longer play and you can't contact them to set up an adoption, you might have to start the archival process then submit a cache listing at the spot. I'm guessing you might not want to go this route because these might be old caches and you'd like to keep the old GC# active, correct?

I guess my cases are unique in that I do maintain other abandon caches from time to time and my brother likes to suggest the hide and read the logs but not go out and find them! 

I should probably just use my id for those and let him watch! 

I just find it wrong to use not logging on as a criteria for Needs Archive- I prefer if you have an interest in the cache just shoot me an email and we will talk and resolve the issue! 

The reason I adopt without permission is to preserve the great logs and fun times had with a very worthy cache! I can't be the only one out there that is entertained with others experiences and especially with highly expressive logs! Some are just great! A good cache should have a life of it own and if abandoned there should be a way to adopt it thru the reviewer and preserve the great logs and history of the cache! The Box is not near as important as the experiences we all share playing this game. It is  just totally great!

45 minutes ago, GPS-Hermit said:

The reason I adopt without permission is to preserve the great logs and fun times had with a very worthy cache! I can't be the only one out there that is entertained with others experiences and especially with highly expressive logs! Some are just great! A good cache should have a life of it own and if abandoned there should be a way to adopt it thru the reviewer and preserve the great logs and history of the cache! The Box is not near as important as the experiences we all share playing this game. It is  just totally great!

I unofficially adopted and replaced several caches for absent owners without their permission while geocaching in your State while on vacation. :D

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Manville Possum said:

I unofficially adopted and replaced several caches for absent owners without their permission while geocaching in your State while on vacation. :D

I assume you have them on your watchlist and are willing and able to go out and perform maintenance on these caches if necessary? :ph34r:

3 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I assume you have them on your watchlist and are willing and able to go out and perform maintenance on these caches if necessary? :ph34r:

Why would you assume that? That is not how community maintenance works. I just hauled out some busted old containers and left new lock n locks and a few ammo cans stocked with about $10 geocaching SWAG and log books. I have no intention of ever revisiting any of them. That is up to the next community cache maintainer. :D

6 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Why would you assume that? That is not how community maintenance works. I just hauled out some busted old containers and left new lock n locks and a few ammo cans stocked with about $10 geocaching SWAG and log books. I have no intention of ever revisiting any of them. That is up to the next community cache maintainer. :D

That's pretty unique approach, thank you. Most of "community maintainers" are throwing pill bottles with piece of paper when they fail to find cache within 3 minutes, no matter of actual size and D/T. Often replacing disabled, even archived caches with no interest to take responsibility for regular ownership and maintenance.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Rikitan said:

That's pretty unique approach, thank you. Most of "community maintainers" are throwing pill bottles with piece of paper when they fail to find cache within 3 minutes, no matter of actual size and D/T. Often replacing disabled, even archived caches with no interest to take responsibility for regular ownership and maintenance.

It's really not about the numbers to me, it's all the adventure. So when I planned a weekend getaway ATV ride I checked out all of the caches that I could likely fit into my adventure to find the oldest cache in West Virginia. These were all lonely caches in remote places and the owners are much less than active geocachers. So I packed up some nice clearly marked geocaches to replace old wet ones, and it's good that I did. All but one, which is a community maintained cache because it's the oldest one in the State was nothing more than trash that needed picked up.

I don't see no harm or foul in propping up an old cache where the owner is no longer active and I'm not returning to baby sit it. And what kind of stink head would post a NM or NA on a cache like that from back in 2002? It's easier to just bring a nice replacement that YOU would enjoy finding to leave for the next geocachers.:)

• Upvote 1
On 1/20/2018 at 9:59 AM, Manville Possum said:

It's really not about the numbers to me, it's all the adventure. So when I planned a weekend getaway ATV ride I checked out all of the caches that I could likely fit into my adventure to find the oldest cache in West Virginia. These were all lonely caches in remote places and the owners are much less than active geocachers. So I packed up some nice clearly marked geocaches to replace old wet ones, and it's good that I did. All but one, which is a community maintained cache because it's the oldest one in the State was nothing more than trash that needed picked up.

I don't see no harm or foul in propping up an old cache where the owner is no longer active and I'm not returning to baby sit it. And what kind of stink head would post a NM or NA on a cache like that from back in 2002? It's easier to just bring a nice replacement that YOU would enjoy finding to leave for the next geocachers.:)

I've replaced two caches.  The first was before I knew better.  The second was on a cache on the infrequently visited section of great wall in China.  The owner lived more than 50 miles away and it took a couple of hours to hike up a very steep section of the wall to get to it.  I've had it on my watch list and it's only been attempted 4 times (with 2 finds) since I was there in 2015.  That owner thanked me for replacing the container (and saving him a 100+ mile round trip).  I did not log it as a find.