New to geocaching

polpro1

Hi all My name is Rich James and I am a After-School facilitator with Enterprise Elementary school district. I have 4 handheld GPS's they are Garmin Etrex Venture HC. I am new to this and was wondering if there is anyone in the Redding, CA area who might be able to help us get started. I am only doing this with 4th and 5th graders. I have some knowledge of GPS but have never used the handheld devices. Just looking for a person to help. We can only do things on the campus. Maybe set up a faux geocache on campus.

Thank you for the help.

I don't live in CA so I can't help you directly but can make some suggestions.  I see you have had an account for some time but have not found any caches.  You might try finding a few to familiarize yourself with how it's done.  Look on the main search page, select Play and then View Map.  Look on the map for nearby caches that are rated 1.5/1.5 or lower, there should be many.  Then go try and find a few.  After you get a feel for it you can establish "practice" caches on the campus.  Make some easy hides and mark the locations (waypoints) on each of your 4 GPS units.  Then you should be ready to show the kids how it's done.  If you aren't familiar with the GPS operation you can go to Garmin's website and find the users manual to see how to mark waypoints and navigate.

You can also try contacting local cachers to see if anyone is willing to help you.  When you are looking at caches on the map, look at the cache owner's profile to see their finds and hides (just click their name at the top of the cache page to view their profile).  Look for someone that appears to be an experienced cacher.  Contact one or more through their email link or the message center to see if they would be willing to help or can suggest someone that they think might be.

Good luck with your project.

As icezebra11 suggested, finding a few local caches will go a long way to understanding geocaching and using a gps.

The other aspect of your request that is a bit problematic is California State Law that requires background checks for folks that volunteer at schools.  Some schools will pay for check services (often done by outside contractors), while others don't.  I had to pay for the fingerprinting and background services out of my pocket when I volunteered for my son's robotics team.

An easier path may be to attend or host a local Event.  It's a great way to meet some locals, some of whom, might have some school age kids that have already gone through the mandatory background checks and might be ready and willing to help out.

You could also check with your local Scouting groups, like BSA and GS, who already offer badges in geocaching and gps usage.  Chances are, one of the adult leaders will have experience, or know people that do.

Best of luck!