Using a TB for a puzzle mystery

Catanserg

1 hour ago, Catanserg said:

I want to place a mystery, where you have to virtually go to the side of a Travel bug for the final coordinates. Is that allowed? Any good example with an existing mystery? Maybe I want to hide it in the website of the TB or the map, how the TB travels or something, not sure

I'm not sure what you mean by "go to the side of a Travel bug". But there have been puzzle caches where you needed to obtain a trackable. One technique is to put a padlock on the cache container, and to attach the TB tag to a copy of the key. Another is to put some information on the TB, either the combination for a combination padlock or some information that is needed to determine the final location of the cache.

Keep in mind that trackables often go missing, and have a contingency plan. Make extra copies of the trackable to release when the original goes missing. You might even consider releasing multiple trackables with the key/information so there are alternatives for locals trying to find the cache. Include a tag that specifies the trackable's goal, including the need to keep it in the general area of the puzzle cache. That sort of thing.

• Upvote 2

HERE  is an example where a cacher has to discover a TB, which has the coords attached to it. There were multiple copies of the TB's sent out and there is a request to keep the TB within the general vicinity.

HERE is another where a cacher has to discover a TB to get the final coords.

I also recall solving a Mystery cache, which I can't find right now, where the final coordinates were on the TB page. That TB was listed in the Inventory of the Mystery cache.  I don't know if the physical TB was actually in or attached to the final cache, as I didn't go to find the cache after solving it.

NOTE: The previous publication of caches like this doesn't mean that future caches using the same methodology will be published. From the Hiding Guidelines "no precedents" section:  "There are no precedents for placing geocaches. Past publication of a similar geocache is not justification for publication of a new geocache. If a geocache was published that you feel violated the guidelines, you may report it. However, the existing geocache may have been placed prior to a guideline change, and may be grandfathered."

5 hours ago, Catanserg said:

Maybe I want to hide it in the website of the TB or the map, how the TB travels or something, not sure

Just wanted to add something about this part of your post.  Keep in mind that you may have maintenance issues if the puzzle is based on an aspect of the TB that could be affected by other cachers. For example, if it's possible for the TB to be grabbed and moved by another cacher, then the method of solving could be compromised. Even if you were to delete the cacher's TB logs, the movement of the TB cannot be reversed. So, if you want your puzzle to be based on that, then make sure the TB can only be Discovered and not grabbed/retrieved.

I have solved several puzzles in my area, where the solution was in the web page of one of the CO's trackables. Mostly either in the TB's description (in plain sight, or as another puzzle) or in one of the TB's images. One of these caches was published only a few weeks ago, so right now this concept seems to be ok.

23 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Just wanted to add something about this part of your post.  Keep in mind that you may have maintenance issues if the puzzle is based on an aspect of the TB that could be affected by other cachers. For example, if it's possible for the TB to be grabbed and moved by another cacher, then the method of solving could be compromised. Even if you were to delete the cacher's TB logs, the movement of the TB cannot be reversed. So, if you want your puzzle to be based on that, then make sure the TB can only be Discovered and not grabbed/retrieved.

Actually, one of my own puzzles was based on the movement of one of my own TBs ;) . The TB had gone missing several years before I designed the puzzle, so the chances were pretty good that nobody would post additional logs.

4 hours ago, niraD said:

Keep in mind that trackables often go missing, and have a contingency plan. Make extra copies of the trackable to release when the original goes missing. You might even consider releasing multiple trackables with the key/information so there are alternatives for locals trying to find the cache. Include a tag that specifies the trackable's goal, including the need to keep it in the general area of the puzzle cache. That sort of thing.

In my homezone, such "puzzles" (where the solution is to find a specific trackable) pop up from time to time. I have yet to see a single one, which runs smoothly for longer than a few months. Typical problems are:

• The trackable goes missing.
  • It is moved hundreds of kilometers away by a cacher who didn't realize he grabbed something "special". And yes, that happened to TBs which did have an explaining tag attached.
  • It is only moved directly from one local cacher to the next one. The puzzle cache itself becomes more like a "VIP cache", i.e. if you don't personally know one of the local alpha-cachers, you're out of luck.
  • Some owners had the "clever"(??) idea to release more than one copy of the trackable, all with the same tracking code. Needless to say, that this caused total confusion in the logs. After a very short time it was practically impossible to tell in which caches (or cacher hands) you could find one of the copies.

With all this in mind, I admit that I don't like this concept at all ;) .

Found a few like that. TB with key that opens a lock to the cache took a while since it seems someone beat me to retrieve the TB/key a few times.

Another cache needs 2 TBs. One with N the other E coordinates. I found one years ago but the other has disappeared several times and copies have been send out. Reading the logs I know the area the cache is supposed to be in but I'm not actively looking for the second TB anymore as the owner posted a note in 2015 another copy was made and would be placed in a cache "soon". It never happened although he was still active last November but hasn't found a cache since July 2016. Maybe it's a second account that he doesn't use often.

Seeing how people (mis)treat trackables these days it's getting very difficult to keep this concept running for a long time.

3 hours ago, baer2006 said:

I have solved several puzzles in my area, where the solution was in the web page of one of the CO's trackables. Mostly either in the TB's description (in plain sight, or as another puzzle) or in one of the TB's images. One of these caches was published only a few weeks ago, so right now this concept seems to be ok.

I did one where the CO took it a level further.  He added a TB to the cache listing then created a fake user account that was currently holding the TB.   In that users profile, he put a one set of coordinates for the final.  That was just a part of the complete puzzle.  

If by, "virtually go to the side of a Travel bug " you mean visit a trackable web page, this works fine. Lots of ways to add info to a trackable's page.  It needs to be YOUR trackable, and the page needs to be Geocaching.com hosted. 

Best to put the actual trackable into your desk drawer, in your collection, so no one can fool with it "virtually". Once it's in collection, it can only be discovered, not moved. 

Physically attaching data to a TB has many issues, as others have noted. It can be done, but generally it won't work for long.

• Upvote 1
On 1/14/2018 at 9:16 PM, niraD said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "go to the side of a Travel bug". But there have been puzzle caches where you needed to obtain a trackable. One technique is to put a padlock on the cache container, and to attach the TB tag to a copy of the key. Another is to put some information on the TB, either the combination for a combination padlock or some information that is needed to determine the final location of the cache.

"side" probably means "site" ie webpage

I had one like this-with 3 trackables consisting of a key attached to a tag that gave the final coordinates- until I got tired of replacing the keys.  It seemed like a fun idea at first but turned out to be pain in the neck.

• Upvote 1