Multi or riddle?

pantadeusz

Hi,

I've found this cache today, with 3 stages + the final, all in one small park in Dublin. All the information you need to solve it is in the listing (no googling or solving of difficult riddles necessary), but you do need to perform a different task at each stage and while the tasks are quite intuitive, they are not exactly described in the listing in a step-by-step manner. In your opinion, should this be a riddle or a multi?

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2P9XR_the-garden-of-forking-paths

Edited by pantadeusz

Multi-cache may contain field puzzle elements. It is in the guidelines. Sometimes a geocacher may complain because didn't know about this but for example, I have a multi-cache where you have to solve a Rubic's cube to get coordinates. As long as the task is possible to solve on field using only GPS device and notebook it could be a multi-cache.

ps. I wouldn't allow geocheckers on multi-caches but it is just my opinion.

Edited by arisoft
20 minutes ago, pantadeusz said:

Hi,

I've found this cache today, with 3 stages + the final, all in one small park in Dublin. All the information you need to solve it is in the listing (no googling or solving of difficult riddles necessary), but you do need to perform a different task at each stage and while the tasks are quite intuitive, they are not exactly described in the listing in a step-by-step manner. In your opinion, should this be a riddle or a multi?

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2P9XR_the-garden-of-forking-paths

Can be either a Multi or a Mystery.

Using the ? Mystery does keep the finders down to those that are prepared to do the puzzles involved.

Using Multi (With the Field Puzzle attribute) could get cachers that are not prepared to work on any puzzles required to complete the cache.

And, not all cachers read the FULL cache description, or look at any attributes for the cache. But most do, or will, for a Mystery cache.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Can be either a Multi or a Mystery.

Seconded.

If the posted coordinates take you to stage 1 and all information you need is in the listing, it's usually a Multi around here. If they are bogus and you have to do some homework before you know where to go, it's a Mysti. But I've also seen caches like that listed as Mystery and the reviewer was fine with that.

I recently did a multi where you had to go to a site, get the info, do some math and go find the cache. I think I am the only one who did it that way. The CO didn't realize she put the answer for what you had to go find on the cache page and also had a checker so everyone else solved it on line and didn't do it as she intended.

Edited by jellis
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 0:10 PM, arisoft said:

Practically any cache can be an Unknown cache a.k.a. Mystery cache. If your Traditional cache is too sensitive for hundreds of geocachers, you can limit the number of visitors by publishing it as a Mystery.

Or make it a PMO if they are a PM

2 hours ago, jellis said:

I recently did a multi where you had to go to a site, get the info, do some math and go find the cache. I think I am the only one who did it that way. The CO didn't realize she put the answer for what you had to go find on the cache page and also had a checker so everyone else solved it on line and didn't do it as she intended.

Sometimes it is intentional ;)

An another version is multi-cache which is based on signs which you can look at Google's street-view - the trick is that the signs have been changed afterwards. :D