How can I make use of the API?

gasbottle

I'd like to run a few as hoc queries to gather some information about the state of the local cache population. I've tried doing this with pocket queries but the 1000 record limit and the small number of logs returned makes this difficult sometimes. I looked at the help centre for information on the API, but the entire section (Section 6.1) is missing.

Where can I get some documentation on using the API, and any required access keys?

14 hours ago, gasbottle said:

I didn't get on well with GSAK when I tried it so I went the PQ route and wrote a script to parse the GPX files. I guess I'll persevere with that.

GSAK does have a steep learning curve, but it is well worth persevering.

if you think of it as a spreadsheet, with each row representing a cache and each column representing some piece of data about the cache, it does become a bit easier.  There are also a bunch of very helpful folk at the GSAK forum who are only too willing to offer help and advice.

I can't imagine how i would plan caching trips without GSAK.

11 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

GSAK does have a steep learning curve, but it is well worth persevering.

if you think of it as a spreadsheet, with each row representing a cache and each column representing some piece of data about the cache, it does become a bit easier.  There are also a bunch of very helpful folk at the GSAK forum who are only too willing to offer help and advice.

I can't imagine how i would plan caching trips without GSAK.

I've been using GSAK since it's very early versions but I've never gone beyond just using the application and adding a few macros.  When it was updated to use the API (in the 8.* version) I didn't upgrade because I didn't use it that often and could still do pretty much what I want with the 7.* version.  I've read the code for many of the macros but haven't tried writing one myself.  I know that it *uses* the API but how much can one do by writing a macro?  Does it provide a front end to the API itself?  Can it, as the OP asks, be used to develop adhoc queries?

As a software developer that has used and written many APIs, having direct access to the API is the only way to tell if the API will provide the functionality one wants, but GS has decided not allow new partner apps.  If they ever did, it would useful to have access to the API so that developers could play with it to see if they could come up with a useful application.  

As HHL's image shows, the API menu is quite extensive and most, if not all, of these functions can be accessed from macros.  Here's how I'm planning my big Africa trip later this year.

I have a database for each country we are visiting (two for South Africa as we go to two widely separated areas).  For each database I get relevant caches.  For some countries I use the "Get geocaches..." entry shown in HLL's image, and select the entire country, limiting the terrain to 4.0 (I'm not planning any serious hikes there).  For other countries I use either the "Get Caches on a route" macro (which gets caches either side of a specified route and is more effective than the route PQ's) or "Get Cches from Locations" macro (which gets caches from a series of locations).

Having initially populated the database I can mark caches I'm not interested in, delete those using the "Delete Ignore Ignore" macro (which deletes them and adds them to the GSAK and Groundspeak ignore lists).  I can print any earthcaches, virtuals and multis where I need to take notes at GZ.  I can translate any foreign-language caches into (Google-equivalent) English.  Any solved puzzles get the corrected coordinates into the database.  

Basically, I can bend, spindle and mutilate the caches in any way that is needed.  

Finally, I can export the databases to my GPS devices ready to go.

I'll also copy the whole GSAK environment to my netbook, so I can log finds, DNFs etc using GSAK while I'm on the road.  GSAK provides a very powerful "Publish Logs" feature and I write all logs for other people's caches using GSAK.

As I say, I couldn't think of planning any sort of trip without GSAK. 

GSAK imports data into an SQLite database. Once it's done that one can write queries in SQL to extract any data one wants, and execute them using any convenient SQLite client. I've done this already. My problem with GSAK was setting it up to request the right data from the API in the first place. I don't know whether the difficulties I encountered are down to limitations in the API, or limitations in the GSAK implementation. 

I already have a solution for one part of my project using PQs and PHP. Since GSAK now imposes a 2 minute nag delay on anything useful it's rendered itself unusable for this project, and since the project is only really of interest to me, it isn't worth paying the cost for a product I'd almost certainly never use again.

I still haven't decided what to do with the results I have. They don't reflect well on certain individuals so I might just wrap it all up and forget about it.