Caches in your own garden

icydee

I have ideas for several caches and I have started rolling them out (my first cache went live today!).

In particular I have an idea for a puzzle cache, however it would need some electronics and this would either have to be powered by battery, or by a low voltage supply from the mains.

Also, if it were more remote it would be more susceptible to damage if found by muggles, and for that reason I was considering putting it in my own garden (actually only a meter from the public footpath, with no fence (my lawn goes right down to the edge of the road). The site I have in mind is also at the side of my property, with trees on either side, so there is some protection from being seen by muggles.

I understand however that there is some reluctance by geocachers to approach caches of this type. I was hoping I might get some feedback on this topic?

Kind Regards

icydee

Sounds like a fun idea, and I'm sure a ton of folks will be receptive.   :)

I'm uncomfortable with that placement type.  Most times they seemed (to me) placed for someone's (other than the finder's) amusement. 

Seeing one standing at the window, peering down only 10' away, watching with coffee in hand was one.  I felt uncomfortable, like my swaps and all were being noted.     The cache placed by a kid for their lonely grandma, who came out whenever a finder came near to chat, was a bit much.  Some did find her amusing...       The creepy guy with the telescope lens shining brightly from an open window (I thought it was a rifle scope), and dogs running down, barking at you while there, was one of the hides that finally did it for me.

• Upvote 1

I've only ever found one cache that was in someone's garden.  Even though I knew I had permission to be on their property, and had previously bumped into the CO whilst caching, I still felt like a trespasser.  I can't really say it was an enjoyable find due to the fact it just felt wrong searching someone's garden.  I only looked for it as it was really close to home, and wouldn't have gone out of my way to find it if it had been further afield.

I'm sure lots of people won't have a problem so don't let my views put you off.  I do think the idea of a less traditional cache is much better than just having a tupperware in your garden.

• Upvote 1

I had a cache in my garden for some years.  I was able to meet many interesting cachers from all over Europe during that time, and also many "famous" cachers of the period.  I have drunk coffee, tea and wine whilst talking to them.  Very rarely were there any problems; certainly my neighbours, who were aware of the cache, were happy to meet cachers and help them on occasion!

• Upvote 1

Done a few of these and personally have always felt uncomfortable doing them for much of the same reasons already mentioned.  Have also found a few that have been inside the CO's home.  Assuming you get over the idea of knocking on a total stranger's door, the one's I have done have been fun meeting the CO and having a cuppa or a pint.

On 31/01/2018 at 2:13 PM, dodgydaved said:

I had a cache in my garden for some years.  I was able to meet many interesting cachers from all over Europe during that time, and also many "famous" cachers of the period.  I have drunk coffee, tea and wine whilst talking to them.  Very rarely were there any problems; certainly my neighbours, who were aware of the cache, were happy to meet cachers and help them on occasion!

Ooooooh, I remember that Dave, you gave us a souvenir pencil if I remember rightly. Ahhhhh, thems were the days.✍️

• Upvote 2