Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
on4bam

2018 geocaching goals

Not really a "goal" because it will happen anyway, cache in our 6th continent adding 2 countries. It will also give us new "Westernmost" founds.

FINALLY going after GC40 (only about 130 Km from home) on the way to Luxembourg (another new country).

We added 1 country (decided on Ecuador instead of Argentina/Chile) but we got our 6th continent and new Westernmost.

Luxembourg as a new country and GC40 on the way there might happen this year (we hope).

A new country we made plans for in 2015 will probably happen this year (citytrip to Lisbon).

No main holiday plans yet but that could also yield a new country.

The only "numbers goal" we have is to decrease our traditional percentage (currently @62%) but there still are some very interesting series around with original, unique containers we will do.

Our 51% traditionals in 2017 brought our overall traditional ratio to 60.4%, we still have a lot of multi's and mysteries with userflag set in GSAK so it should be possible to get below 60% (next goal 55%).

I'm trying to find 750 caches this year, and I'll be traveling to different states to get as many Virtuals as I can. Those are my plans this year.

I finally punched all my 366 Found On dates, need one more Hidden On date.  Going to try to clean out some of my missing Fizzy Squares and should -- if my schedule gets me to where I think it will get me given a work schedule as I understand it -- move me from 31 states found to 41 states.  Might even have occasion to get over to the UK as well.  I had a very slow caching year in '17 -- just 75 or so -- hopefully I'll do a bit better than that.

I have a trip planned in April, which, if the weather allows, will help me finally qualify for the Virginia Virtual Challenge, as well as the Jasmer Challenge (hoping to detour north a ways to get The Spot).  On the same trip, I should qualify for the Maryland/Delaware Delorme Challenge and Maryland County Challenge.  Fingers crossed for a non-snowy spring break.

Outside of that week, I've kept my geocaching goals pretty loose, since Uncle Sam has yet to confirm where we'll be moving this summer.  I have an idea, but I've learned from experience not to make plans until I have orders in hand.  (Although I did enjoy our time in Oklahoma, we were initially promised a move to Alaska.)  I should be able to celebrate our 9000th find this year, and I hope to do so in a new country.  Hopefully I'll get more definite news in the next few weeks, as naturally it's not just my geocaching plans that hinge on our assignment information.  :laughing:

2 hours ago, hzoi said:

I have a trip planned in April, which, if the weather allows, will help me finally qualify for the Virginia Virtual Challenge, as well as the Jasmer Challenge (hoping to detour north a ways to get The Spot).  On the same trip, I should qualify for the Maryland/Delaware Delorme Challenge and Maryland County Challenge.  Fingers crossed for a non-snowy spring break.

Outside of that week, I've kept my geocaching goals pretty loose, since Uncle Sam has yet to confirm where we'll be moving this summer.  I have an idea, but I've learned from experience not to make plans until I have orders in hand.  (Although I did enjoy our time in Oklahoma, we were initially promised a move to Alaska.)  I should be able to celebrate our 9000th find this year, and I hope to do so in a new country.  Hopefully I'll get more definite news in the next few weeks, as naturally it's not just my geocaching plans that hinge on our assignment information.  :laughing:

The Spot is a pretty long detour from Virginia, Maryland, or Delaware.  If you take that detour for "The Spot", it would probably mean taking I-81 to route 17 (also called I-86) and take you within 30 miles of Ithaca.  If you're planning on spending a day or so in the area let me know.   It's hard to predict what the weather will be like for spring break.  Assuming that you're talking the first week in April I've seen 9" of snow in a day and a week later temps in the 80s (fahrenheit).

Hit 1,000-  Well, not much of a goal, seeing as I'm at 994.  Attending North America's first Giga event, placing my first gadget, hopefully putting out a huge water power trail.

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

The Spot is a pretty long detour from Virginia, Maryland, or Delaware.  If you take that detour for "The Spot", it would probably mean taking I-81 to route 17 (also called I-86) and take you within 30 miles of Ithaca.  If you're planning on spending a day or so in the area let me know.   It's hard to predict what the weather will be like for spring break.  Assuming that you're talking the first week in April I've seen 9" of snow in a day and a week later temps in the 80s (fahrenheit).

Like I said, weather dependent.  :anibad:  I'll reach out to you closer to the dates if my plans stay the same.  The Spot is the only May 2000 cache anywhere near me.  Beverly would be further out.  Just goes to show that I should have gotten to Mingo and Arikaree back when I was in Oklahoma, but I never got around to it.

I need to get The Spot too and have been nearby without getting it far too many times. Maybe we could organize a meetup to get it in the spring :)

My 2018 goals:

1) Don’t break any bones. :-/

2) There is a devious micro I can’t find that I’m hoping to get in my Found list for 2018.

3) And I’d like to hit 500 caches. I don’t have a lot of free time for caching unfortunately (and I usually avoid LPCs and the like) so it’s a slow go. But I think I’ll get there.

Not very exciting goals for most I guess. 

• Helpful 1

15 hours ago, hzoi said:

Like I said, weather dependent.  :anibad:  I'll reach out to you closer to the dates if my plans stay the same.  The Spot is the only May 2000 cache anywhere near me.  Beverly would be further out.  Just goes to show that I should have gotten to Mingo and Arikaree back when I was in Oklahoma, but I never got around to it.

The Spot is about 50 miles from me so I found it about 7 years ago.  There was actually another cache called "The Spot" about 8 miles from here that someone placed.  It was a nano on steel bridge that crossed a very pretty creek.  The Spot is a very pretty location but is one of the places that you need a reason to go to as there isn't much else around.  There are quite a few good caches in the Finger Lakes region in general though. I'm not sure that I'd driver 100 miles r/t for a meetup at The Spot but would consider some place like Watkins Glen.  The race track there is somewhat famous and the gorge at Watkins Glen is spectacular.  A visit to both places would be a really fine day of geocaching.

I'm gonna be a bit more cautious this year after so many injuries the last, but could access a few more 5Ts before they go bye-bye.  Need to get some meds poundage off asap too.

Don't really have any caching goals this year...

- walk more - which will almost certainly mean looking at more out of the way caches

- I'm travelling through Belgium, Netherlands and Germany in the summer so it would be nice to find a cache or two in each country on the way

- place the letterbox cache I've had the stamp for for about six months

- find less caches - I felt I was going out for the sake of it towards the end of last year

36 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

- I'm travelling through Belgium, Netherlands and Germany in the summer so it would be nice to find a cache or two in each country on the way

Need suggestions? Depending how much time you have and want to spend caching there are some gems out there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, on4bam said:

Need suggestions? Depending how much time you have and want to spend caching there are some gems out there.

We'll spend least time in Belgium to be honest - it's too close to Calais to make staying there worthwhile for us (we're working our way up to and back from Denmark). So something close to the road from Antwerp to the French coast would be handy!

I've seen a couple of virtuals that might do. Unless there's somewhere smallish that's worth diverting into for lunch? Perhaps between Antwerp and the Dutch border when heading towards Eindhoven? Turnhout perhaps???

I was vaguely thinking that we might divert through the whole Baarle-Nassau enclave madness as well - presumably the ones on Belgium territory are Belgium caches?

1 hour ago, Blue Square Thing said:

We'll spend least time in Belgium to be honest - it's too close to Calais to make staying there worthwhile for us (we're working our way up to and back from Denmark). So something close to the road from Antwerp to the French coast would be handy!

I've seen a couple of virtuals that might do. Unless there's somewhere smallish that's worth diverting into for lunch? Perhaps between Antwerp and the Dutch border when heading towards Eindhoven? Turnhout perhaps???

I was vaguely thinking that we might divert through the whole Baarle-Nassau enclave madness as well - presumably the ones on Belgium territory are Belgium caches?

OK, most of the "good ones" (we think) are multis but I'll take a look at my found database for some good traditionals/mysteries that won't take a lot of time.

As for Baarle, just walking the streets at some places will take you crossing borders several times. We did some caches there while doing 2 multi's, #1 started in Belgium, took us to Baarle and the second one took us back to the starting place. Both were WW I themed "dodendraad" (wires of death) with specially made WP's It was a 42 Km bike ride so not something you would/could do.

Quick check: just looking at "favorited by me" in GSAK there are no caches in my database that can be done in a short time along the Calais - Antwerp - Eindhoven route.

50 minutes ago, on4bam said:

OK, most of the "good ones" (we think) are multis but I'll take a look at my found database for some good traditionals/mysteries that won't take a lot of time.

As for Baarle, just walking the streets at some places will take you crossing borders several times. We did some caches there while doing 2 multi's, #1 started in Belgium, took us to Baarle and the second one took us back to the starting place. Both were WW I themed "dodendraad" (wires of death) with specially made WP's It was a 42 Km bike ride so not something you would/could do.

Quick check: just looking at "favorited by me" in GSAK there are no caches in my database that can be done in a short time along the Calais - Antwerp - Eindhoven route.

Thanks for looking - I appreciate it.

Now, remind me where the multi is where you get a beer if you complete it. I'm sure I can convince the family that there's time for a multi like that.

I have a few. I finished the Original Fizzy but before I could find it one of the caches, the CO changed the D/T rating. But still its been a few years that I was qualified and yet to go find it. Trying to get the group to all decide when to go is the worse part.

Also to add more states. Planning on going to the Giga event and get 3 states while there.

If not this year  maybe next, I have never been to Hawaii.

No special plans for this year, except or the big Africa trip.  Hopefully I'll add another 7 or 8 countries.

I'll probably hit 2000 finds somewhere along the way.

I don't have any specific goals for 2018, other than to stay alive (and hopefully more so!) during some good adventures.  And hopefully finish the year younger than when I started.

Somebody mentioned a cache with a beer as a finder's prize?  I know of a simple 2-cache series where the prize for finding both of them is a case of whiskey!  I'm 50% there, but I'd have to go to Italy "for the win".  Hmm...

Find my 5,000th cache.

I'll hit #4545 on my 45th birthday in two weeks, then it should be easy to go for 5,000 by the end of the year.

While I'm at it, I'll be working on clearing out as many caches from my nearest to home list as possible. There shouldn't be anything within at least five miles by the end of the year, except for puzzles I can't solve.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

11 minutes ago, Team GPSaxophone said:

Find my 5,000th cache.

I'll hit #4545 on my 45th birthday in two weeks, then it should be easy to go for 5,000 by the end of the year.

Or more. You may decide 5000 is too easy from the sounds of it 

Edited by KickBassMama

My goal is to reach 1007 on my birthday (10/07) I’ve been Geocaching for 15 years and finally have the passion back :) 

My wife and I  are going to the mega in Yuma next month. The next day we go to 2 other events including our first event outside the US (Los Algodones Mexico).

In May we are going to Maui (Hawaii) for my 50th state. We got Alaska in 2016 and the 6 NE states in May 2017.

Caching for 12 years and still have not hit 2000.

8 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

I don't have any specific goals for 2018, other than to stay alive (and hopefully more so!) during some good adventures.  And hopefully finish the year younger than when I started.

Somebody mentioned a cache with a beer as a finder's prize?  I know of a simple 2-cache series where the prize for finding both of them is a case of whiskey!  I'm 50% there, but I'd have to go to Italy "for the win".  Hmm...

If I go to Italy and find it based on the 50% effort you've put it I'd be happy to split the case with you.  How much does it cost to ship a case of whiskey to North America?

3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

If I go to Italy and find it based on the 50% effort you've put it I'd be happy to split the case with you.  How much does it cost to ship a case of whiskey to North America?

Hate to crash the party, but the Italy half of the "whiskey 2-cache series" has been archived a year ago ;) .

1 hour ago, baer2006 said:

Hate to crash the party, but the Italy half of the "whiskey 2-cache series" has been archived a year ago ;) .

I realized that just after I'd posted.  :unsure:  Where's that free-beer cache again?

(Hey wait a minute...  There's more than one way to approach a beach.  Ask the Allies.)

29 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

I realized that just after I'd posted.  :unsure:  Where's that free-beer cache again?

(Hey wait a minute...  There's more than one way to approach a beach.  Ask the Allies.)

Although the beer isn't free, there's a cache in Zurich that is just across a narrow street from a beer garden.  I was there when a flash mob (with over 400 attendees) geo-event occurred and watched several groups of geocachers find it while I enjoyed a beer with a couple of local geocachers.  

Mmm, beer. 

Caching more with others, which I've made some progress towards. Helps if you invite someone along, otherwise, they tend not to just magically show up. 

At this point, I'm most of the way towards eyeballing all my owned caches in the wake of Hurricane Irma.  Down to two paddle trips to check caches, which will happen soon. A late 2017 goal, arose Sept 2017, when the hurricane hit. 

Perhaps I'll make some progress on the last year 2000 caches I need. I hesitate to state that, as each time I plan a trip, something unfun happens to cancel it.

Somewhat accidentally, I now have FTF on a cache that's been out over a year. I can't say as this was sharply focused goal of mine; but something that others have mentioned, I thought was kind of cool. 

My one year geocaching anniversary is March 8 - I'd like to hit 500 caches by then.  With my husband and I sharing a common goal of a cache a day in 2018, I will hit 500 before March 8 (I'm at 478 today).  Maybe go for 1000 by year's end?  

Reduce my % of traditionals - find more multis, puzzles, Earthcaches and other types than traditionals.  My Traditional % now is at 89.75% - probably about right for a newbie, but I am solving puzzles and trying to go for those as our COTD in preference to trads.

Modest goals, but attainable, and enough for me right now.  It's still fun, and I want to keep it that way!  I want to challenge myself, but not to the point that it's no longer a fun hobby.  

As always, my main goal is to keep having fun geocaching.

In a couple months, I expect to be able to get several of the northern quadrangles for the Bay Area Quad Challenge. If I can schedule trips to get the remaining southern quadrangles, then I could conceivably complete the challenge and find the cache by the end of the year. (It's a shame that this kind of location-based challenge is grandfathered.)

And I really should try to get caught up logging my field notes drafts.

Hoping to get back to doing some actual geocaching again.   The last few years have been busy.    That's one of the things I love about this activity,   you can jump in and out as your life changes.   There are many new caches around my area since I was active so taking a little time off wasn't such a bad thing.   

On 1/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, hzoi said:

So far so good.

Virginia Virtual Challenge, The Spot, and Jasmer Challenge - check.

Maryland/Delaware Delorme and Maryland County Challenges - check.

We're sitting in Germany at 8913 finds and have plane reservations that will get all three of us to Monaco in early November, so #9000 in a new country should be a go.

I'll even add another goal to accomplish before the end of the year: hide more caches and get our caching karma back over 1.5.

Edited by hzoi

On 1/12/2018 at 11:07 AM, on4bam said:

1. Luxembourg as a new country and GC40 on the way there might happen this year (we hope).

2. A new country we made plans for in 2015 will probably happen this year (citytrip to Lisbon).

3. No main holiday plans yet but that could also yield a new country.

4. Our 51% traditionals in 2017 brought our overall traditional ratio to 60.4%, we still have a lot of multi's and mysteries with userflag set in GSAK so it should be possible to get below 60% (next goal 55%).

1. Don't think so... maybe 2019

2. Done

3. Plans made, all booked. 2 New countries (Argentina and Falklands). New southernmost cache (S54 )

4. 58.6% traditionals overall and still going down.

We crossed borders 23 times so far going from cache to cache but still have some time to go (and at least 4 border crossings). Had to cancel a weekend in Cologne a month ago for some extra border crossings, it's still on the list but probable not this year anymore.

On 1/23/2018 at 8:57 PM, CAVinoGal said:

My one year geocaching anniversary is March 8 - I'd like to hit 500 caches by then.  With my husband and I sharing a common goal of a cache a day in 2018, I will hit 500 before March 8 (I'm at 478 today).  Maybe go for 1000 by year's end?  

Reduce my % of traditionals - find more multis, puzzles, Earthcaches and other types than traditionals.  My Traditional % now is at 89.75% - probably about right for a newbie, but I am solving puzzles and trying to go for those as our COTD in preference to trads.

Modest goals, but attainable, and enough for me right now.  It's still fun, and I want to keep it that way!  I want to challenge myself, but not to the point that it's no longer a fun hobby.  

So far, so good for me too!

• Hit 1000 by year's end - YES!  I'm at 1157 today, before we find our COTD.  Our common goal of a cache a day in 2018 is still intact.  Depending on circumstances we will often do more than one a day.  So we easily made 1000, and we are at 269 consecutive days of caching!
  • Reduce my % trads - YES!  I was at 89.75%, today it stands at 79.81% and I try hard to keep it below 80%, it's been down to 77% and change.  I would like to be less than 75% if I can!
  • We also found The Spot, a goal added later when we went to NY to visit family.  It might have been #1000, but we didn't do quite as much caching in NY as we had planned.  It ended up being #955!
  • Still fun, for the most part.  Some days are challenging.

Thanks, hzoi, for bumping up this thread and reminding me of my goals, and it's satisfying knowing that I've achieved them so far!

I'm sorry I missed posting in this thread in January, because I've had a lot of fun working on my 2018 goals.  As a veteran, it's easier to get bored and lose interest, so I decided on some themes based on what I enjoy doing.  Finding caches that fit these themes is more fun for me than the absolute number of caches I find (476 so far this year).  So, I've driven right past a LOT of geocaches in 2018!  My progress along my themes:

1. I like challenge caches.  I've found 70 of them so far this year, taking my total above my goal of 200.
  2. I like coloring in new counties on my map.  I found a cache in more than 100 new counties so far this year, taking my total number of counties to 537, above my goal of 500.
  3. I like connecting counties when coloring in my map.  I now have 21 states connected with finds in contiguous counties, and I am just 8 counties short of having a connected chain of counties from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.  One flight to Denver or Salt Lake City and then renting a car for some good caching in Utah and Colorado, seeing some national parks along the way, and I'm done.
  4. I like finding caches while traveling more than I do in my home area.  Discovering new places and all that.  I met my goals of increasing my cache to cache distance above 200,000 miles, and to increase my cache centroid distance to a point more than 300 miles from my home.  (And, I haven't moved since I began geocaching in 2002.  I'm no hzoi.)
  5. I like collecting icons for the different cache types.  Attending the Giga Event (GeoWoodstock in Cincinnati) gave me a complete set of all 20 cache types, which not a lot of geocachers have achieved.
Edited by The Leprechauns

10 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

(And, I haven't moved since I began geocaching in 2002.  I'm no hzoi.)

But are you willing to learn?

(Yes, that is an intentional "Stripes" reference.)

Our cache centroid has started moving to re-cross the Atlantic.  Ever since moving from Germany to Virginia in 2009, it had done a ragged great circle route, eventually coming down through Quebec and Ottowa.  If we'd stayed in Virginia another year, it might have actually touched US soil, but now it is slooooowly arcing its way back toward Germany.  (I doubt it'll clear the Canadian coast before our next assignment, wherever that is.)

10 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:
  • I like connecting counties when coloring in my map.  I now have 21 states connected with finds in contiguous counties, and I am just 8 counties short of having a connected chain of counties from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.  One flight to Denver or Salt Lake City and then renting a car for some good caching in Utah and Colorado, seeing some national parks along the way, and I'm done.

The key now is to figure out how IndyMagicMan came up with that mesmerizing GIF map so we can see the county chains being built. I could watch that thing for hours.

12 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

I'm sorry I missed posting in this thread in January, because I've had a lot of fun working on my 2018 goals.  As a veteran, it's easier to get bored and lose interest, so I decided on some themes based on what I enjoy doing.  Finding caches that fit these themes is more fun for me than the absolute number of caches I find (476 so far this year).  So, I've driven right past a LOT of geocaches in 2018!  My progress along my themes:

1. I like challenge caches.  I've found 70 of them so far this year, taking my total above my goal of 200.
  2. I like coloring in new counties on my map.  I found a cache in more than 100 new counties so far this year, taking my total number of counties to 537, above my goal of 500.
  3. I like connecting counties when coloring in my map.  I now have 21 states connected with finds in contiguous counties, and I am just 8 counties short of having a connected chain of counties from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.  One flight to Denver or Salt Lake City and then renting a car for some good caching in Utah and Colorado, seeing some national parks along the way, and I'm done.
  4. I like finding caches while traveling more than I do in my home area.  Discovering new places and all that.  I met my goals of increasing my cache to cache distance above 200,000 miles, and to increase my cache centroid distance to a point more than 300 miles from my home.  (And, I haven't moved since I began geocaching in 2002.  I'm no hzoi.)
  5. I like collecting icons for the different cache types.  Attending the Giga Event (GeoWoodstock in Cincinnati) gave me a complete set of all 20 cache types, which not a lot of geocachers have achieved.

I liked collecting states and countries on the map (and as a list).  I added one state this year and 3 countries (bringing my total to 30) so far this year.  I'd been looking at a trip to Utah add it,  Idaho, and Wyoming to my states list and was actually asked if I wanted to attend a conference in SLC at the end of October.  I turned it down because I will be teaching a workshop in South Africa about the same time and hope to find out this week if a project proposal (in partnership with the place I'll be visiting in SA) is accepted that would add a 3-4 visit to Gaborone, Botswana.  That'll be my 8th trip to Africa.   The cache-to-cache stat has always been one of my most interesting stats, especially when averaged over the number of finds.  I broke 300K miles this year.  My cache centroid isn't that far (a little over 200 miles NE) but that probably is a results of my finds scattered around the globe rather in one direction.  

My goal for 2018 was to have at least one found per day. But I seem to fail by far :rolleyes: Doesn´t matter after all, had a great year without powercaching.

3 hours ago, hzoi said:

The key now is to figure out how IndyMagicMan came up with that mesmerizing GIF map so we can see the county chains being built. I could watch that thing for hours.

I *have* watched that thing for more than an hour (cumulative over time).  It's a source of inspiration for any aspiring "county cacher."  Watching it again reminds me to remain humble about my own strings of colored-in counties.  I am barely started on what I expect will be a lifelong game of "connect the dots."

Counties Map 9-2018.JPG

My main goal was to complete the oldest-in-the-state cache list for the Lower 48 plus DC.  We completed that this year and 6 Provinces of Canada (all in the east half of Canada, I just haven't had the chance to get the Provinces close to home - yet!)

8 hours ago, hzoi said:

That is cool! If you ever figure it out, please let the rest of us know!

21 hours ago, hzoi said:

Wow, what an effort :blink:

13 hours ago, Team Christiansen said:
22 hours ago, hzoi said:

That is cool! If you ever figure it out, please let the rest of us know!

I remembered after posting this, I asked him a few years back.  Just found the email.  He manually ran FindStatGen on GSAK for different dates, saved each map, and then compiled the results into a GIF.

There has to be a way to write a macro for GSAK to do this, but I can barely program in html; the only programming language I ever learned was BASIC on our family's Apple IIc.  So I call "not it."

8 hours ago, hzoi said:

There has to be a way to write a macro for GSAK to do this, but I can barely program in html; the only programming language I ever learned was BASIC on our family's Apple IIc.  So I call "not it."

I'm checking with the FSG author on the GASK forums.  I'll let you know if it's possible.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, The Jester said:
8 hours ago, hzoi said:

I'm checking with the FSG author on the GASK forums.  I'll let you know if it's possible.

I see you have a response.

I'm nervous messing around with the variables.  If you figure out how to do it, and you could post a step by step, that would be the awesome.

• Upvote 1

Back in 2014 I saw someone post their Geocaching goals to their profile. So I started doing the same. I am proud to say I should accomplish 6 of my 7 goals this year! 

www.elrojo14.com

I made a forwarder to my profile through my domain. 

Edited by elrojo14