Jump to content

Are you the one?


GeoNap
Followers 0

Recommended Posts

matrix.gif

 

The matrix has you...

 

But there is one among you who can change this...

 

The question is...

 

Are you the one?

 

Click here for a sneak preview of this cache series.

 

You may need this to view it.

 

 

Brought to you by GeoNap, GeoChad, and fractal.

 

Coming soon...

Link to comment

What's the problem Sassquatch? Are you having problems playing the file? If so, you probably need to download the DIVX CODEC from the link in my original post.

 

Let me know if that helps, if that isn't the problem, just let me know and I can probably help you make it work.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

I can't play it either and there is not a free Mac version of the codec. Why not use a common codec that is supported by the Mac, such as Cinepak, DV PAL, Microsoft Video 1, MPEG-4, or Sorenson Video 2 & 3?


 

Yeah, what is it about using this Divx? Macs rule!

--dasein

 

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

Looks free to me...

 

It is a common codec... It has superior compression and quality compared to most formats out there.

 

I use it because I want to share the highest quality videos with you, AND try to use as little space as possible on my server.


Thanks for the better link; the original link showed only a pay version.

 

However, from what I gather it is not that common except among those who copy DVDs (not always legally). For distribution to a general audience you would be better off using more standard techniques. Video quality is less important than compatibility.

Link to comment

Come on now... geocachers are supposed to be explorers! Finding new things... including formats of video they're not familiar with...

 

What if a cache you found didn't have a certain container you liked... would you complain? icon_smile.gif

 

I don't want to get sidetracked here... I'm just saying... c'mon lets not get picky about the format of a cache teaser (that most folks don't do in the first place) and let's just enjoy the fact that people hide tupperware in the woods for us to find.

 

icon_cool.gif

 

My intention is not to offend anyone by this post...

 

I just know that geocaching is THE BEST thing that I have found and just want to share the enjoyment with others.

Link to comment

Very cool trailer for your cache series! I have used DivX before, but only to view a flick or two on CD. Dasein, Macs are like appendixes. A Mac can only do you harm in the long run, and you will be much better off after it is removed.

 

54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

Link to comment

Man-o-man

 

Didn't mean to cause a riot. I download all this stuff, at least I think I did. Then I download, at least I think I did, The teaser and it asks me to open it with what file? Then I can't find the name of the file that I downloaded, at least I think I did. It's not McDonalds vs BurgerKing. Please remain calm. The only reason I started geocaching is because the Quantum Mechanic sent me a link that all I had to do was click on it. If I had to jump through hoops then I wouldn't be here now which is what you're all thinking right now.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by GeoNap:

Come on now... geocachers are supposed to be explorers! Finding new things... including formats of video they're not familiar with... What if a cache you found didn't have a certain container you liked... would you complain?


Exploring new technology can be fun. I should know as I've been doing it for 40 years. This isn't about exploring, though. It's about communication, in this case advertising your geocache. If you were posting the video on a site for video wonks the codec would be fine, but this is a geocaching site and most of us could care less about the latest video production techniques.

 

Also, requiring people to download specialized software just to look at a short video is asking a lot. Many people choose not to download unknown or single-use software because it takes time, clutters up their hard drive, exposes them to spam, and can even cripple their computer. In perusing some Mac forums I discovered that an earlier version of this codec caused messy crashes.

 

By all means, be creative and use whatever cache container you want. I only ask that you give a little consideration to the user.

 

Nice video clip BTW. Cheers. icon_cool.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Armando & Co.:

Macs!??? What's a Mac?? icon_biggrin.gif Do they still making them?


Well, as someone who studied computer science long before there were personal computers and who has used nearly every type made, I'll just say that the Mac is alive and out there for the computer connoisseur.

Link to comment

I just wanna say I like DIVX codec. For me, and most I know it IS about video/audio quality. Just like most things, quality is far more important than quantity and compatiblity has long since fallen by the wayside. If that were an issue we would all be playing in Billy's sandbox icon_eek.gif

 

Looks like another great series Nap. If ya need any beta testing done just give a holler.

 

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

 

**Namaste**

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by bazzle:

...compatiblity has long since fallen by the wayside. If that were an issue we would all be playing in Billy's sandbox icon_eek.gif


Speaking of compatibility, here's what your message looks like in geocaching.com's topic notification email to me:

 

Document Title: New Reply by bazzle - Re: "Are you the one?"

 

TABLE.gs_main_align { width:95%;} TABLE.gs-email-main { border: 1px solid #005881; } td { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; color: #000000; } .gs-email-cat-font, .gs-email-cat-font a { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; color: #000000; } .gs-email-datetime-font { font-size: 65%; color:#800080; } .gs-email-category { background: #ffffcc; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 80%; } .gs-email-header { background: #339933; } .gs-email-header-font { font-size: 80%; } .gs-email-normal-font, .gs_normal { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; color: #000000; font-size: 80%;} .gs-email-decorated { background: #005881; } .gs-email-header-small-font, .gs-email-header-small-font a, .gs-email-header-font, .gs-email-header-font a { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; color: #ffffff; } .gs-email-header-small-font, .gs-email-alt-font, .gs_small { font-size: 65%; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; } SPAN.gs_breadcrumbs{ font-weight:bold; font-size: 65%; } SPAN.gs_breadcrumbs A, .gs-email-header-small-font a, .gs-email-header-font a, .gs-email-cat-font a { text-decoration:underline; } BODY { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; color: #000000; background-color: #FFFFFF; } .altcolor2 { background-color: #f7f7f7} .altcolor1 { background-color: #EEEEEE} _ Geocaching Home _  [iMAGE]  _ Groundspeak Forums _  [iMAGE]  _ Northwest _  [iMAGE]  _ Are you the one? _

Author Topic:   Are you the one? _ __ BAZZLE _

[iMAGE]

Wanderer Extraordinaire_ [iMAGE] _ posted July 06, 2003 10:28 AM

_____________________________________________________________________________

I just wanna say I like DIVX codec. For me, and most I know it IS about video/audio quality. Just like most things, quality is far more important than quantity and compatiblity has long since fallen by the wayside. If that were an issue we would all be playing in Billy's sandbox [iMAGE]

 

Looks like another great series Nap. If ya need any beta testing done just give a holler.

 

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

 

**Namaste**

_____________________________________________________________________________

_ Posts: 186 _ | From: Milliways | Registered: July 25, 2002

[iMAGE] _ Reply _

 

Topic Recap   TopicTopic StarterRepliesViewsRatingLast Post [iMAGE]_ [iMAGE] __ Are you the one? _   GeoNap17270   July 06, 2003  10:28 AM

 

icon_confused.gif You'd think they would understand that email should be text because many of us reserve HTML for web use.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

quote:
Originally posted by bazzle:

...compatiblity has long since fallen by the wayside. If that were an issue we would all be playing in Billy's sandbox icon_eek.gif


Speaking of compatibility, here's what your message looks like in geocaching.com's topic notification email to me:

 

Document Title: New Reply by bazzle - Re: "Are you the one?"

 

TABLE.gs_main_align { width:95%;} TABLE.gs-email-main { border: 1px solid #005881; } td { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; color: #000000; } .gs-email-cat-font, .gs-email-cat-font a { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; color: #000000; } .gs-email-datetime-font { font-size: 65%; color:#800080; } .gs-email-category { background: #ffffcc; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 80%; } .gs-email-header { background: #339933; } .gs-email-header-font { font-size: 80%; } .gs-email-normal-font, .gs_normal { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; color: #000000; font-size: 80%;} .gs-email-decorated { background: #005881; } .gs-email-header-small-font, .gs-email-header-small-font a, .gs-email-header-font, .gs-email-header-font a { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; color: #ffffff; } .gs-email-header-small-font, .gs-email-alt-font, .gs_small { font-size: 65%; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; } SPAN.gs_breadcrumbs{ font-weight:bold; font-size: 65%; } SPAN.gs_breadcrumbs A, .gs-email-header-small-font a, .gs-email-header-font a, .gs-email-cat-font a { text-decoration:underline; } BODY { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; color: #000000; background-color: #FFFFFF; } .altcolor2 { background-color: #f7f7f7} .altcolor1 { background-color: #EEEEEE} _ Geocaching Home _  [iMAGE]  _ Groundspeak Forums _  [iMAGE]  _ Northwest _  [iMAGE]  _ Are you the one? _

Author Topic:   Are you the one? _ __ BAZZLE _

[iMAGE]

Wanderer Extraordinaire_ [iMAGE] _ posted July 06, 2003 10:28 AM

_____________________________________________________________________________

I just wanna say I like DIVX codec. For me, and most I know it IS about video/audio quality. Just like most things, quality is far more important than quantity and compatiblity has long since fallen by the wayside. If that were an issue we would all be playing in Billy's sandbox [iMAGE]

 

Looks like another great series Nap. If ya need any beta testing done just give a holler.

 

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

 

**Namaste**

_____________________________________________________________________________

_ Posts: 186 _ | From: Milliways | Registered: July 25, 2002

[iMAGE] _ Reply _

 

Topic Recap   TopicTopic StarterRepliesViewsRatingLast Post [iMAGE]_ [iMAGE] __ Are you the one? _   GeoNap17270   July 06, 2003  10:28 AM

 

icon_confused.gif You'd think they would understand that email should be text because many of us reserve HTML for web use.


 

WOW!!! icon_eek.gif

 

I have to agree 100% with ya on that one. And that is what I was refering to. If you played in Billy's box and use MSN or Hotmail (or almost any other web based mail client I would imagine), that message would be all purty like... icon_biggrin.gif

 

Don't get me wrong, I am a charter member of ABM. So that email would look just as bizzare to me.

 

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

 

**Namaste**

Link to comment

Sounds like a 10-stage multi-cache with each stage being a separate cache? Probably with lots of twists & puzzles thrown in??? icon_eek.gif

 

Will the hunt be confined to the Portland area? Some of us have thought of a statewide multi-cache but the logistics and maintenance are intimidating. A team like yours might be able to pull it off.

 

We have a monster multi-stage in Central Oregon that has brought people to their knees and you get only one find, although there are some nearby caches that can be done while you're at it.

 

Good to see some ambitious caches being placed. I appreciate the enormous effort that goes into these, even if I sometimes trip over the choice of media. icon_wink.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by GeoNap:

Back to the REAL meaning of this post...

 

Cool caches coming soon...

 

heh heh...

 

icon_biggrin.gif


 

Sorry for the divergence icon_biggrin.gif

 

So... Any idea when can we expect this grand scheme to begin unfolding?

 

Looking forward to another ongoing adventure icon_smile.gif

 

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

 

**Namaste**

Link to comment

Ok guys... you can start getting excited now. icon_biggrin.gif

 

This one is basically in the final stages... I'm hoping to get at least "one piece of the puzzle" so to speak icon_smile.gif placed this weekend.

 

bazzle: hopefully this answers you're timing question... and no problem on the 'divergence' icon_biggrin.gif

 

bigeddy: as far as your questions... yes there will be multiple stages and no it won't be confined to the metro area...that's going to be part of the fun...

 

soup: you've got the right idea... icon_smile.gif

Link to comment

Well guys... "Are you the one? #1" has been submitted for approval. So keep a lookout for the approval... As a bonus for being the first finder, you get GeoNap coin #0024 and a GeoNap wooden nickel. icon_wink.gif

 

Each of the "Are you the one" cache's will be "members only" for the first two weeks after I place them. After that I will make them accessible to all.

 

Good luck! The search is on... I want to know... who is...

 

THE ONE?

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Sparky & Miraren:

Doh!! Thank you PDXMarathonMan!!! And thank you to fractal for posting the correction!! icon_biggrin.gif We would've headed off several miles in the wrong direction! icon_eek.gif

<<Good thing we didn't drag the kids out last night armed with flashlights!!>>

 

Cache on!! ~M

 

_**If you?re not standing on the edge, you?re taking up too much room.**_


 

Correction??

 

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

 

**Namaste**

Link to comment

Shameless Plug

 

Vote for our avatar! StrongBad Rocks!

 

We might not be the one... but we're determined to try!

 

That is if the guy talking on the stupid payphone ever gets off! I saw that you took off the member only status for the first one, and ran out on my lunch today to try and score a find. I sat there waiting for him to hang up for almost half an hour this afternoon! I figured he wasn't going anywhere when he lit up his 3rd cigarette, so I decided to come back again later.

 

I'm still trying to figure out how we're going to be "the one" w/out being members. At this point it's become less about spending the $3 per month, and more about finding ways around the system. Geonap's making it rather difficult for us... ok me to keep holding out though icon_wink.gif

 

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

Link to comment

We're close to breaking the codes surrounding the Matrix... but obviously not close enough. Members only my butt. Congrats PDXMarathonman. Looks like GR&GG finally got their cache alarms fixed.

 

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

 

[This message was edited by Team JOYSON on August 04, 2003 at 02:36 PM.]

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Team JOYSON:

We're close to breaking the codes surrounding the Matrix... but obviously not close enough. Members only my butt. Congrats PDXMarathonman. Looks like GR&GG finally got their cache alarms fixed.

 

_"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."_

 

[This message was edited by Team JOYSON on August 04, 2003 at 02:36 PM.]


 

Give us a break Jason... icon_razz.gif

 

Just break down and show some support icon_biggrin.gif

 

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

 

**Namaste**

 

pdxani-75x125.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by bazzle:

Give us a break Jason... icon_razz.gif

 

Just break down and show some support icon_biggrin.gif


 

But this is so much more fun! 54293_500.gif

Besides, I think I've about got this thing figured out. We only HAVE to be first to the last cache in order to be "THE ONE".

 

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 0
×
×
  • Create New...