Different milestones on geocaching.com and project-gc.com?!?

borknu1

5 hours ago, borknu1 said:

A friend of mine just discovered that there is a difference between the recorded (and locked) milestones on geocaching.com and the recorded milestones on project-gc.com.

Does anyone else experience this? Why is this? 

My milestones used to be different between geocaching.com and project-gc.com until project-gc integrated lab caches.  Now they are the same.

It's possible to edit milestones for situations where, say, one's actual 1,000th find showed up as, say, 1,005 because of the order they were logged on the site or through an app (or because some were logged on geocaching.com and others were logged through an app, which could create different time stamps).  If your friend changed one of their milestones on geocaching.com or project-gc.com manually but did not update the other, they would need to update both manually to match.

That's all I can think of offhand without knowing more specifics, like when and how the caches were logged.

hzoi nailed the answer to the discrepancy. Lab caches.

Before a few months ago, Project-GC didn't include lab caches, so any cacher that found even 1 lab cache would show different milestones between the two websites (geocaching.com vs Project-GC).

Today, milestones match between the sites much better. However, there can still be discrepancies if lab caches were found on the same day as the milestone cache. I think that maybe PGC doesn't receive the timestamps of the lab cache finds, so they're all grouped at the beginning or end of the specific date.