Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
basspond

devices

7 posts in this topic

recommended entry to intermediate gps devices

If you have a smart phone I'd use that for a while.  If, after some time, you are still enjoying the experience I'd upgrade to a gpsr.   The only unit I've ever owned is a Gramin Oregon 450 and I still use it today.   I paid about $200.00 for it about 4 years ago.   I think you can purchase a Oregon 650 for under $300.00.  I've heard good things about the e-trex but have never used one.

Just make sure it's something you plan on continuing to do before you spend the cash.

14 hours ago, justintim1999 said:

If you have a smart phone I'd use that for a while.  If, after some time, you are still enjoying the experience I'd upgrade to a gpsr.  

OK - educate me!  Hubby and I started our geocaching adventure in March 2017. (After following our son and now daughter-in-law since 2005 or thereabouts).  We are going to continue, for sure.  This is a tremendous new hobby we can do together in his retirement!  Love it.  But I digress...  We have used just our smartphones and the Official app (with an occasional experiment with other apps) and haven't had any real issues; coords generally seem close enough and the caches we have hidden get no complaints of inaccurate coords.

How is it an upgrade to move to a GPSr device?  What does the GPSr do that we can't do with our phones and the website? Are the PQ's, lists, maps, etc that we have available on the website and phone app available on the GPSr or will we be needing both devices?

I do like the website for logging, creating cache pages, and general browsing of caches and stuff ... the phone app is good for field navigation and logging quick notes and drafts.  We are considering a GPSr, but I'm curious in what aspects will it be an upgrade to what we are doing now?

I owned various devices and even worked for a local Garmin distributor - tried their handheld GPSrs in field and wrote reviews. Nowadays I doubt these devices can be recommended as upgrade for the vast majority of customers. Accuracy is not an issue anymore. Surely, a portable GPSr a) is rugged, b ) is waterproof and c) can work eternally as long as you replace AA batteries that you filled your backpack with. So, it's an obvious choice for a long hike, three and more nights in field, far from civilization. Sometimes I do this (rarely now) so I keep my old Garmin Venture ready. For all other situations I simply switch GPS in my smartphone on. I also purchased a simple 10000mAh power bank (~ 20 USD) so I can charge my smartphone several times and I consider this solution to be rather effective for city walks and even for short hikes.

On 1/11/2018 at 8:34 PM, CAVinoGal said:

How is it an upgrade to move to a GPSr device? 

For sure the app is useful, and I use it quite a bit, but the things I like about my handheld GPS over using a phone are primarily battery life and accuracy (when "good enough" just doesn't cut it like in deep canyons or heavy tree cover).

I bought a GPSr after I started caching on my phone.  I loaded it with caches before a trip to Hawaii thinking it might come in handy.  That was about 6 years ago.  Still have never used it out in the field because my phone always seems to work better.