Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
ObeliskAG

Kenwodd TH-D74 and Oregon 600

For many years I have been using an Oregon 300 with a Kenwood TH-D72 handheld and Kenwood TM-D710A mobile. I have been using the Garmin Serial Data/Power Cable to interface the GPS to the radios 2.5mm GPS port.

Recently I have added a Kenwood TH-D74 handheld to my collection, and my Oregon 300 came to a bad end. My new handheld is a Oregon 650T (Canada). Trouble is, the TH-D74 has bluetooth, which has proven to be very cool, however the radio does not have the 2.5mm jack like the TH-D72 has, for interfacing to a GPS. The Oregon 650T does have bluetooth, however this appears to only be usable for exchanging data between compatible Garmin GPS devices and connecting to a mobile app version of "Basecamp Mobile" that no longer seems to be available. There does not appear to be Bluetooth serial port profile (SPP) support on the GPS for exchanging NMEA data over bluetooth.

I have sent a request to Garmin about enabling SPP on the GPS, but have not received any response.

Does anyone have a suggestion for interfacing the Kenwood TH-D74 handheld with a Garmin Oregon 600 series GPS?

I don't have a ton of experience in this regard (I wish I did!), but you may be able to do what you need with an external TNC. Of course, it would be extra bulk and cables (and power needs), but that might do the trick...

Not to get off-topic, but a side-note: As far as Basecamp Mobile, that met it's demise in 2013 when Garmin nixed it for some reason in favor of thier Garmin Connect Fitness App. That Basecamp Mobile option will work with Connect, but basically only to send track data to the Connect app and website.

Edited by Saved by God's grace

11 minutes ago, Saved by God's grace said:

but you may be able to do what you need with an external TNC.

The TH-D74 has a build in TNC and GPS... so exchanging NMEA with an external GPS seems an odd thing to do.

On 1/11/2018 at 7:27 AM, on4bam said:

The TH-D74 has a build in TNC and GPS... so exchanging NMEA with an external GPS seems an odd thing to do.

I've wanted to do this myself for awhile, and simply haven't had the resources too; it would allow you to use APRS in conjucntion with the setup to view other stations on the GPSr display. I've seen it implemetned, and it's very cool!

These TH-D7* handhelds don't need external connection to GPS's  I have an old TH-D7 and have used it for APRS for a few years. I saw other stations on my (old) Garmin 12XL. The TH-D7 didn't have build-in GPS.