All .gpx files and pocket query files saving as .pdf file type

hoges in wa

New Desktop PC running Windows 10.  New Garmin Montana 680T, though I can't see that playing a part in this.

When I extract the results of a pocket query, OR if I hit the GPX file option on an individual search, I send the output/result to a folder in my Diving/Hiking/GPS folder then into a sub-folder called BaseCamp caches.

ALL are saving as .pdf file types.  Can anyone tell me why?  It did NOT happen on my laptop, which is open alongside this new desktop and shows an older pocket query version of the one I ran today as 6689134-wpts.gpx and 6689134.gpx.

I'm perplexed.

thank  Hoges

On 1/10/2018 at 5:59 AM, hoges in wa said:

if I hit the GPX file option on an individual search

I expect this to be be a browser setting, as you're downloading through the browser. 

"extract the results of a pocket query" is just sort of confusing. Extract? as in, downloaded zip file is on your computer and now you've unzipped and are saving? if so,  you're talking about operating system setting (Windows 10).   

What you have done is linked a PDF program with the .gpx file extension. Windows will then show a PDF icon along with the file. That does not change the file to a PDF-type, but it only looks like that.

If you move the file to the GPS, the file should still work on the GPS, because the file extension is stil .GPX

To change the link to the PDF program, you have to delve deep into windows. An easier way is to just relink the .GPX extension to e.g. Notepad. Copy the file to your desktop, rightclick onthe file with 'shift'-key pressed. Select 'Open with', in the list you get change it to e.g. Notepad (sometimes you have to browse to c:\windows\notepad.exe) en set the checkbox to 'always open with this program'