Sand dunes category

14 minutes ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

What is your vision for this category and why do you think it will be a good Waymarking category?

How do you waymark a sand dune?

I think it would be a good category because it would be a good Waymarking category because it is recognizing and learning about interesting geological features; sand dunes.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "How to waymark a sand dune"

How do you define a sand dune to waymark? Is there a minimum height? Is there a minimum width?

Do you eliminate all common sand embankments on beaches everywhere? What makes some dunes more interesting than others?

Will this category end up being a compilation of piles of sand at beaches everywhere? If so, then my interest tails off.

This category would definitely not be about piles of sand on beaches. The dunes don't have to be on beaches. Just look at great sand dunes national park.

The dune would either have to be formed by glaciers or windswept over time. I would look at the pictures posted for each waymark, and ultimately decide if the dune is big enough. After looking at pictures of beach dunes online, I am now deciding that the dune would have to be geologically recognized as a dune.

In the pictures below, the first one would probably be too small. But the one on the right would definitely be big enough.

If the dune is just regulated to the beach, I would not count it. But if the dune is spread out over a wide area, I would count it.

download-2.jpg

download-4.jpg

6 hours ago, jmsantafe said:

This category would definitely not be about piles of sand on beaches. The dunes don't have to be on beaches. Just look at great sand dunes national park.

The dune would either have to be formed by glaciers or windswept over time. I would look at the pictures posted for each waymark, and ultimately decide if the dune is big enough. After looking at pictures of beach dunes online, I am now deciding that the dune would have to be geologically recognized as a dune.

In the pictures below, the first one would probably be too small. But the one on the right would definitely be big enough.

If the dune is just regulated to the beach, I would not count it. But if the dune is spread out over a wide area, I would count it.

download-2.jpg

download-4.jpg

Why wouldn’t beach sand dunes count? Isn’t a sand dune a sand dune a sand dune? Why aren’t sand dunes formed by wind and waves interesting enough for the category? If you exclude all beach sand dunes, does that mean the category is no longer global?

And the sand dune you dismiss in the photo above as too small might be 10-15 feet high - seems pretty big to me. 

it sounds from your post that the criteria for what is a waymarkable sand dune and what is not would be personally determined by you on a case by case basis based on photos. If that is the case, how can other reviewers know what to approve? How can waymarkers ever know what to waymark?  What would you need in the photo to help you decide?

How many sand dunes could be waymarked in a particular location?

Where should the coordinates for a sand dune be taken?

Since sand dunes move and change in storms, how would you deal with that? 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
  • Upvote 2

These can already be categorized in "Places of Geological Significance" so this category seems redundant to me. So far, I'd say "nay" to the category. However, if a few issues can be addressed I would consider voting yea. I had a similar geologic category a few years ago not pass peer review (Lava Tubes) since most of the community agreed they can be put into "Places of Geological Significance" and there was no need to expand on existing categories. I'm not so sure if I see a need here, since sand dunes are in limited numbers.