Celebrating the first 1000 new Virtuals

Pezdude

I’m a little late posting in this, but before the New Year we as a community have placed and published over 1000 of the newly established virtual rewards. There were skeptics after the initial announcement, but we’re here to celebrate the new adventures these virtuals have allowed us.

Have you been tracking down as many new virtuals as you can?

Have these virtuals lead you to any new or interesting locations?

Have you worn your Geocaching patch proud as muggles tried to figure out why you were posing so oddly at a historic site?

I would love to hear your caching stories!

Shout-Out to BMars7391, VegasScotty, littleblkdog and the other users who have been maintaining bookmark lists of the newly published virtuals.

I haven't received any notification for a new virtual (that I'm aware of), and not really "tracking" any down either.  If I bump into one, cool.

We've never had issues at historic sites (everyone else is looking too...) , so never felt a need "wear a patch" or explain the hobby to others at them.

• Upvote 1

The 3 closest to me:

- One is a 5/5 and the terrain I believe beyond by abilities

- One is 5/4; doesn't appear to be difficult.  It is underground, I'll do it someday with a group.    

- One is 4/2; I'd do it if I could solve the puzzle, but so far have been unable.   Only one find since it was published in August.

Some to me unexpected numbers:

Most new virtuals up to now: Germany 223, more than US ~ 209

Next surprise: Czech Republic 66, followed by Canada 62

More than 50: France and United Kingdom (57 each)

More than 20: Sweden, Australia, Spain, Netherlands, Finland, Austria.

The remaining 199 new virtuals are spread over 46 other countries/territories with at least one new virtual.

Countries/territories with new virtuals:

Europe (37) - beside the 9 above european countries with more than 20 new virtuals, there are new virtuals in additional 28 countries (including european parts of Turkey and Russia). European countries still without new virtuals: San Marino, Albania, Bosnia, Serbia (without Kosovo), Mazedonia, Moldova, Ukraine and Belarus.

Asia (9): Israel, Jordan, Bahrain, UAE, Thailand, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan

America (8): US, Canada, Mexico, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic, Peru, Argentina, Brazil

Australia (2): Australia, New Zealand

Africa (2): South Africa, Uganda

Edited by AnnaMoritz
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, AnnaMoritz said:

The remaining 199 new virtuals are spread over 46 other countries/territories with at least one new virtual.

Europe (37) - beside the 9 above european countries with more than 20 new virtuals, there are new virtuals in additional 28 countries (including european parts of Turkey and Russia). European countries still without new virtuals: San Marino, Albania, Bosnia, Serbia (without Kosovo), Mazedonia, Moldova, Ukraine and Belarus.

Asia (9): Israel, Jordan, Bahrain, UAE, Thailand, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan

America (8): US, Canada, Mexico, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic, Peru, Argentina, Brazil

Very cool!  I didn't really pay attention to the countries before...  

AS of today, the top 10: 

country            count
Germany           224
United States     210
Czech Republic  66
Canada              62
France               57
United Kingdom  57
Sweden              34
Australia             31
Spain                  28
Netherlands        25
-------------------------------

(out of 1085 new virtual hides)

Edited by VegasScotty
  • Upvote 1

I hadn't thought about adding a notification for new virtuals.  I did a search and found that there is one new one  within 50 miles.  My only new virtual find was in Malmo, Sweden (which was also a new country form me).  I have not found one in my own country.   I saw that there was on in Uganda and wondered if it was on the equator.  It's actually called "Source of the Nile", which I found interesting as I've been to a place in Ethiopia which also claims to be the source of the nile.  Actually, both are true.  The Uganda location is the source of the white nile and the one in Ethiopia (near  Bahir Dar) is the blue nile.  

To the OP, I have to say, wow, I'm so impressed that you earned a virtual cache reward.  With only four caches to your name!  They are obviously well thought of.  I've created several mystery caches, and I always hope people think well of them, but I don't receive favorites from everyone who finds them.  I have one puzzle cache that's the bonus to a tough puzzle series I created, that currently is at 100% favorites (3 of 3 :-) ), but that's the exception.

Anyway, well done and congratulations!

• Upvote 1
On 1/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

I hadn't thought about adding a notification for new virtuals.

Project-GC gives the option for getting notifications worldwide.  I didn't opt in right away, which is probably why I've gotten a couple hundred notifications over the past few months but thankfully not all 1,000. 

Most have been too far to nab, but I keep getting them anyway, more out of curiosity than anything else.  It's helped me add a few to my personal wish list, and even a couple to my airport list.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, AnnaMoritz said:

These are some interesting statistics. Thanks for sharing!

I'm curious if all of these hidden virtuals were placed by locals of the given countries. For example, are all of the caches hidden in Germany placed by German Geocachers? There were a handful of rules in place when the new virtuals were announced that I believe allowed anyone to place their virtual in a place that they had personally visited in the last two months. I wonder what percentage of US virtual recipients chose to hide their virtual outside of the United States. 

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, GeoElmo6000 said:

To the OP, I have to say, wow, I'm so impressed that you earned a virtual cache reward.  With only four caches to your name!  They are obviously well thought of.  I've created several mystery caches, and I always hope people think well of them, but I don't receive favorites from everyone who finds them.  I have one puzzle cache that's the bonus to a tough puzzle series I created, that currently is at 100% favorites (3 of 3 :-) ), but that's the exception.

Anyway, well done and congratulations!

Thanks GeoElmo6000! It was such a surprise and an honor to receive one of these virtuals. I think I benefited from being a part of a small but very supportive geocaching community (and a bit of luck). I do try very hard to be receptive of any suggestions (both good and bad) in the set up and maintenance of my puzzles. I'll definitely have to check out some of your puzzle caches. They're my favorite type, although I'm terrible at solving most of them, Haha!

15 hours ago, Pezdude said:

I'm curious if all of these hidden virtuals were placed by locals of the given countries. For example, are all of the caches hidden in Germany placed by German Geocachers?

Most if not all of the new virtuals I've seen pop up in Germany and Czechia appear to be by local German and Czech cachers, respectively.  Some have published them in other locations, like the German cacher who published one in a German cemetery in the Vatican.

According to geocaching profiles or project-gc, which might not correspond to home coordinates, geocachers from some countries have new Virtual Reward geocaches elsewhere.

For example:

From Germany: Kosovo (Serbia), Balearic Islands, Vatican, Croatia, China, Denmark, Corse, Italy.

From US: Jordan, Mexico, Peru, Cayman Isl.

From Canada: Mexico, Uganda

From Switzerland: Ireland, Dominican Republic

From UK: UAE, Malta

From Sweden: Peru

From France: Peru

From South Africa: Italy

and maybe more that are not too obvious on the map.

Some seem to be by ex-pats for example Denmark -> Bahrain

In general I would assume that most new Virtual Rewards stay in the country of the awarded owner.