Setting up a series that others can add to.

signseekers

22 minutes ago, signseekers said:

I am interested in creating one and apart from hiding the first one in the series I do not know what to do next.

Place yours and suggest other to follow, adding a series name at their caches, by instance.

You can also contact owners of caches already in place with the same theme, inviting them to join on a series.

• Upvote 1

The Spirit Quest caches are an example of what you are trying to create:

The MICHIGAN SPIRIT QUEST series of geocaches will take you to a number of historic cemeteries built by MICHIGAN Pioneers. This series is inspired by and a continuation of the Indiana Spirit Quest caches created by SixDogTeam. In just over a year and a half, the SPIRIT QUEST has grown to over three hundred thirty caches and the hiders have grown to seventeen cacher teams, most of which are comprised of Dogs and their Humans.

Bookmark List: https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=ab2cff71-5ead-425e-8ba5-03a9c3013b6c

If you build it well enough, others will add to it.  Building up enthusiasm on your area's facebook page (assuming you have a local geocaching group) might help.

Curse of the FTF has been a popular series in several locations, though the ones around here fizzled out.

There are a few Ehrentafel (Honor Roll) series around Germany that encourage cachers to hide their own cache as part of the series and in fact provide the materials to do so.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, hzoi said:

If you build it well enough, others will add to it.

Yes, as long as they know it's expected, so, as RuideAlmeida mentions, be sure to talk to other COs to get it going.

2 hours ago, hzoi said:

Curse of the FTF has been a popular series in several locations, though the ones around here fizzled out.

I thought I heard that Curse of the FTF series are now forbidden because they forced (well, "forced" at least) someone to plant a cache whether they wanted to or not. You're not allowed to obligate another CO to plant a cache in your series, you can only ask them to.

43 minutes ago, dprovan said:
3 hours ago, hzoi said:

I thought I heard that Curse of the FTF series are now forbidden because they forced (well, "forced" at least) someone to plant a cache whether they wanted to or not. You're not allowed to obligate another CO to plant a cache in your series, you can only ask them to.

I hadn't heard that, but it would explain why the series seems to have petered out.

35 minutes ago, hzoi said:

I hadn't heard that, but it would explain why the series seems to have petered out.

Here

Cache page content

No agendas

Cache pages perceived to promote an agenda or highlight a cause will not be published. Geocaching is a fun, family-friendly game, not a platform for promoting a cause. Agendas are often religious, political, social, or charitable, but aren't limited to these. Also, cache pages cannot require or encourage players to place more caches.

• Upvote 3

We did quite a few spawn/seed  caches, most were packed fulla film cans.  None still in play. 

"Add to" series here never got anywhere either, usually when someone in the "series" would place a pieca carp container, and the rest would fall downhill from there with maintenance issues.     - Yet the church micros took off well.  Go figure...   :)

20 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

The Spirit Quest caches are an example of what you are trying to create:

The MICHIGAN SPIRIT QUEST series of geocaches will take you to a number of historic cemeteries built by MICHIGAN Pioneers. This series is inspired by and a continuation of the Indiana Spirit Quest caches created by SixDogTeam. In just over a year and a half, the SPIRIT QUEST has grown to over three hundred thirty caches and the hiders have grown to seventeen cacher teams, most of which are comprised of Dogs and their Humans.

Bookmark List: https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=ab2cff71-5ead-425e-8ba5-03a9c3013b6c

While I often enjoy geocaching in cemeteries, I've also seen series created that seem to serve no other purpose than to place more geocaches. Just because there is a cemetery or some place which meets the criteria for a series without a cache there doesn't mean there should be a cache there.  For example, several years ago someone came up with the idea of creating a "Drug Wars" series.  It was a pair of caches near two drug stores in close proximity to each other.    A series was born and now there are a bunch of places where there are 2 or more drug stores in close proximity that now have caches there.  Most of them are LPCs in  drug store parking lot.  The fact that they are part of a series doesn't make them any more enjoyable than any other LPC in a parking lot.    

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, hzoi said:

If you build it well enough, others will add to it. 

If you build an interesting cache page and hide an interesting cache, with a replicable location,  a series may grow organically. Local to me this has happened a couple of times. One of my recent hides adds to a series.

Your cache page cannot encourage others hide caches, to or to add to a cache series; see the agenda guideline quoted above by RuideAlmeida