Broken switch magellan explorist gc

vacachin

I own and use a magellan explorist gc and recently the powerswitch inside disintegrated, i contacted magellan and let them know it was out of warrantee, and i needed a new power switch theyreplied that they no longer make or service, or carry parts for the explorist range. Cananyone help me, ineed to locate where i can purchase a replacement switch

I owned an Explorist 710 which suffered a similar problem, perhaps. The rubber cover over the power switch disintegrated & the little rubber ball underneath fell out & disappeared.  I just cut a bit of rubber to suit & kept it in place over the metal part with a strip of electrical tape. Not water resistant of course but got round that by placing it in a waterproof pouch when needed.  In the end though I busted the USB connection & that was it. Very sad as this unit had amazing functions as standard. 

I just went to Magellan's website to discover that they have divested from the handheld GPS market completely. They now offer a line of ORV navigators with topo maps and trails, but they are built like a vehicle navigator - built in battery with at most 6 hours of life, a large touch screen, and no indication as to whether they support paperless geocaching.

If you're really intent on finding a new switch, you might need to go on ebay or other online markets where you can buy either another functioning eXplorist, or a non-functioning one that you can take apart and salvage the power switch.

Alternatively, you might just bite the bullet an join the Garmin world. But from your original post, I get the feeling that this would be a last resort option.