Garmin etrex 20x

poshbirds

Hi all, does anyone have any experience in using the Garmin etrex 20x with Window 10. I cannot install the necessary plug in as the browser constantly defaults to edge. I have tried to disable the edge browser but when installing is in process the browser reverts back to edge. Has anyone any thoughts, experience or ideas as to overcome this problem. I am trying to download the Geocaches files to my Garmin.

2 hours ago, poshbirds said:

Hi all, does anyone have any experience in using the Garmin etrex 20x with Window 10. I cannot install the necessary plug in as the browser constantly defaults to edge. I have tried to disable the edge browser but when installing is in process the browser reverts back to edge. Has anyone any thoughts, experience or ideas as to overcome this problem. I am trying to download the Geocaches files to my Garmin.

I assume you're trying to use the Garmin Communicator plugin? That plugin is based on very old software that's being phased out by browsers. There's still a way to make it work using a specific version of Firefox, but it sounds like even that will stop working in the near future. There are a few alternatives:

1. Garmin Express - This is a newer piece of Garmin software than the old plugin. You can use it to transfer the contents of a list to your device. See here for more.
  2. The "GPX file" button - This is beside the "Send to My GPS" button on a cache listing. You can click this to download a GPX file, then manually save it to the "Garmin\GPX" folder on your device. This is really all that the old plugin was doing anyway.
  3. Pocket Query (PQ) - One of the great features of a Premium membership is the ability to bulk-download caches using a Pocket Query. You can define various settings to select a bunch of caches, and then download the results in a single GPX file. See here for more.

For anyone else reading this, please note that the above alternatives all require a Premium membership.

• Upvote 1