Caching Abroad - HELP!!

go.warcat

My Muggle husband just informed me that we get to go to the Czech Republic this year ... we leave for Prague in 49 day!  :antenna:  I have never cached abroad before, I don't speak Czech (nor do I read it) and I have never used my GPS for geocaching (I'm an Android app girl). 

Can anybody give me some pointers on how to cache abroad?  As dumb as it may seems I would really like to keep my streak alive while on this vacation.   

23 minutes ago, go.warcat said:

Can anybody give me some pointers on how to cache abroad? 

Most caches in Europe have english translation, at least for the hints, so you won't see many difficulties if you plan your desired caches ahead at home, where you can use online translators to help. Make some Pocket Queries, save them for offline use and you will be just fine. :)

Here is the Help Center article on Pocket Queries.

Here is the Help Center article on Lists.

Here is a Help Center article on caches in foreign languages.

It's amazing how much helpful info is in the Help Center. I suspect some lackeys and volunteers have put a lot of work into it.

GPSfiledepotdotcom has free maps available for most of the globe. I just got back from a week in Costa Rica; the maps available at the website were excellent.

You also could consider reaching out to a local cacher, they might be willing to become your new geopal and tour you around. Then you'll have a new international friend who speaks the local language. There might even be an event where you're going to be too.

PS-focus on the FUN and ADVENTURE and not the streak. It will make your travels a lot more enjoyable.

1 hour ago, wimseyguy said:

PS-focus on the FUN and ADVENTURE and not the streak. It will make your travels a lot more enjoyable.

Agreed.  A few other things I can think of:

Don't make the trip all about geocaching.  I understand that Prague is an amazing city.  Don't forget to see what it has to offer other than geocaching.  It also happens to be one of the more cache dense cities in the world so there will be plenty of opportunities to find a few each day.  Despite the fact that there are a lot of caches it's okay not to try to find every one.

Although cache listings may be in Czech, the only "language" you need to know is lat/long coordinates.

Learn how to create pocket queries.  It's not that hard and it would be a good idea to create a few for local geocaching before you leave.  There are plenty of other threads about traveling abroad that offer several tips, including how to use your phone.  Keep in mind, that unless you buy a sim card with a data plan that you won't be able to view caches in "real time" using the app.  However, many of the Android apps will allow you to save pocket queries or lists for offline use.  Make sure to do that before you leave and you can refresh data when you have wifi access when you're in Prague.  

Although I mostly use a smart phone locally when I travel abroad I always use my handheld (the only exception was in Cuba where bringing a GPS into the country is illegal...but a smart phone with an embedded GPS seems to be allowed).  I used to use the GPSFileDepot site previously mentioned but now get all the maps I need from the open street maps for garmin site.  Assuming you have a Garmin GPS I highly recommend it.  

Pick out a handful of cache close to where you're staying and use Google translate to translate the listings (if necessary).  It won't be a perfect translation but it will be better than trying to understand Czech.  Print them out before you go.  As is the case anywhere you go, check for caches that have recently been found.  Note that if you create PQs for a list of caches of offline use you won't get any of the images.  In my experience (having found caches in 13 countries in Europe) spoiler photos on cache listings are a bit more common.  

Have fun.

For the android maps you can use openandromaps.org, they provide good maps for the whole of Europe and more.

I've been Geocaching in Prague without speaking Czech and can't remember having any problems.

I don't know if you've been to a country before where you couldn't understand the language, but humans are pretty good at communicating with each other without talking each other's language. ;) (And most people talk some English)

So don't worry and enjoy your holiday!

• Upvote 1

The best advice I can give you for caching abroad is to get an international phone plan and use your smartphone like you do at home.  I have Verizon and it's $10/day for the same service i have at home.  Another option is to get a local SIM card at the airport when you arrive.  I've done that even if I was only going to be in a country for a couple of days.

The advantage of using your phone is that then you can use Google Translate.  It can translate entire webpages.  So, I would use the app to actually get to ground zero, but I would bring up the webpage in a browser and use Google Translate to translate the whole thing.

It's possible to find a cache with just the coordinates.  But for me, part of the fun is WHY someone hid a cache in a particular place.  Especially in a foreign country, it's great to discover things about the places you're visiting that a cache hider wants to show you!

4 hours ago, dw said:

The advantage of using your phone is that then you can use Google Translate.  It can translate entire webpages.  So, I would use the app to actually get to ground zero, but I would bring up the webpage in a browser and use Google Translate to translate the whole thing.

Alternatively you could use the Microsoft translation app which does text recognition and offline translation.

(If I remember correctly you can highlight any text on your device and then it supplies the option to translate it, but I'm not sure of that)

4 hours ago, dw said:

The best advice I can give you for caching abroad is to get an international phone plan and use your smartphone like you do at home.  I have Verizon and it's $10/day for the same service i have at home.  Another option is to get a local SIM card at the airport when you arrive.  I've done that even if I was only going to be in a country for a couple of days.

A local SIM would definitely cheaper and thanks to the EU you don't pay roaming should you decide to visit another country of the European Union during your travel.

Edited by pingurus
Clarification (thanks to on4bam
12 minutes ago, pingurus said:

A local SIM would definitely cheaper and thanks to the EU you don't pay roaming should you decide to visit another European country during your travel.

Careful with that statement. Although roaming is at local rates with a EU SIM, check the countrylist as probably Switzerland is not included (or Andorra, Liechtenstein....) but Norway, Iceland may be.

Edit: Also be careful near the borders, several people got a hefty bill being in Greece but connected to a stronger signal from Turkey.

Edited by on4bam
  • Upvote 2
17 hours ago, pingurus said:

I don't know if you've been to a country before where you couldn't understand the language, but humans are pretty good at communicating with each other without talking each other's language. ;) (And most people talk some English)

That's been my experience as well, especially in a large city which gets tourists from many places.  Someone from Spain or one of the Scandinavian countries that didn't speak English might have more trouble communicating than someone from the U.S. that only spoke English.  That said, it's worth learning basic greetings,  "thank you" , and "do you speak English" in the local language.  Even if that's all you know, I've found that in most countries at least making an attempt is appreciated.  

I travel a pretty fair amount and have never purchased a local sim card or international service plan.   If I were to go to a country for a couple of weeks or more I might but most of my trips are a week or less.  

• Upvote 1

WOW!  Thanks for all the replies!  I seriously have some great info to travel with now!  Here are my bullet replies: 

• The Streak. I’m almost to 1,000 days.  Trust me.  I plan to cache while I am visiting.

• Geocaching is NOT the only reason I’m going.  I adventure often and I understand how to “live in the moment”.  Typically finding a daily find only take a few moments so why not keep doing what I enjoy while I’m traveling abroad.  But hey! I  also plan on working out every day I'm on vacation as well.  Just because I'm away from home is no reason to get away from taking care of ones mind (geocaching is my daily sanity check) and body (exercise). 

• If need be I plan to reach out to locals to work around the language barrier.  Just like in the States people often approach strangers who seem to be "looking for something". 

• Geocaching has led me to some of the most interesting places that I have never thought about going to. THIS is why I want to cache abroad.  It’s not 100% about the streak but I will keep that number afloat ... all while seeing cool things.  Like was stated; "WHY did some body place this HERE?"  The obviously wanted to show you something (or to bring you to a guard rail).  Either way I'm totally happy being brought to areas I normally wouldn't have thought of checking out.

• We have friends who live local, this is why we get to visit.  I bet dollars to donuts I can beg for my Muggle friend who lives there to take me out once a day for Tupperware if I'm having issues.  Who knows?!  They may enjoy it just as much as I do. 

• THANKS for the links to the Help Center.  Didn’t even think of looking there.  This helps a lot!

• Pocket queries.  Got it!  Got it!  I’ll figure this out.  I know have 48 days.  I have used Lists before and these help and are great when I'm in the sticks w/o internet access!

• My Muggle husband works in the cellular field.  He has me covered to make sure my phone and app will be up to par so I can use it.  He hates the hobby but he is an enabler.  He’s the one that brought up caching while we travel and reminded me to bring my GPS "just in case".  He goes; “You can get an ‘over the pond’ souvenir now!  Bet I can get you to Poland so you can get that one, too.”  He is awesome.

• We will have access to laptops and internet

• I have a Garmin GPS

• PRINT THEM OUT before I go!  GREAT IDEA!!  Our hotel is right across the street from a park so if I’m lucky … there will be just enough for my stay and I can find them during my daily runs.  SCORE! 

• The links for maps are great, too!  THANKS!

• I have traveled to over 15 countries already but I’m new to geocaching (I’m only 2 years old).  I've only cached in Canada, BC before. 

• Being a traveler I always respect customs and culture.  I also learn a few phrases while I travel because I know it’s appreciated. 

• dw; VERY helpful tips!  THANKS!  I didn’t think about using the website on my phone either, just the app.  GOOD ADVICE!

• Translation app! Another great tip!

I think I have enough info, links, suggestions, pointers and helpful tips to get me through caching abroad!  I have a lot of homework to do now!  This makes me even more excited to pack my bags and get after things.  Thank you all so very much!

dík!!! šťastný caching!!

• Upvote 3

Foreign languages are easily translated with the technology we have today. Back in the day, people had to walk around with a translation book (English to Czech).

I cached in Romania a couple of years ago, and I didn't even bother translating anything (most everything was in English anyway). I used my "geo-senses" to snag the cache.

5 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

That's been my experience as well, especially in a large city which gets tourists from many places.  Someone from Spain or one of the Scandinavian countries that didn't speak English might have more trouble communicating than someone from the U.S. that only spoke English.  That said, it's worth learning basic greetings,  "thank you" , and "do you speak English" in the local language.  Even if that's all you know, I've found that in most countries at least making an attempt is appreciated.  

I travel a pretty fair amount and have never purchased a local sim card or international service plan.   If I were to go to a country for a couple of weeks or more I might but most of my trips are a week or less.  

A lot of countries really do appreciate it when tourists at least try.

2 hours ago, SeattleWayne said:

The only country I've been to where this is not the case is France. Everywhere else they try to understand you, even if your pronounciation is really bad and you make a lot of grammar mistakes. We've got the "Kauderwelsch Sprachführer" (gibbersish language guide) for almost any language/country available in German here, maybe there's a similar concept in English, too.

In South America our driver started to laugh out loud as I was using it and ripped the book out of my hands, just to see what other phrases were translated there.

Edited by Rebore
18 hours ago, Rebore said:
21 hours ago, SeattleWayne said:

The only country I've been to where this is not the case is France.

A few years before I started geocaching I took my first trip to Europe.  I had meetings in Geneva, Switzerland and Rome, Italy.  The day I got there I hopped on a bus to Chamonix, France, stayed overnight and went skiing the next day (wish I had started geocaching at the time as there are some notable caches in the area).  At the end of the day I went back to the bus station to take the bus for the 100km trip back to Geneva.  The bus was schedule to leave around 5:00pm and there were about 9 other people waiting and wondering where the bus was by 20 minutes after.  A couple of young women from Canada went up to the desk and asked, in English, when the bus was supposed to arrive.  The guy at the counter responded, "you didn't even ask if I spoke English".  She asked that, in English, and he didn't responded.  Then she got out a translation book and asked, "parlez vous anglais" and he responded, "yes I do, how can I help you?"   

As it turned out, there *was* a bus that departed for Geneva at around 5:00PM but it was a completely different kind of bus then the one from Geneva to Chamonix.  As I said, there were 9 people that didn't realize that it was the bus for Geneva.  Since I had an 8:00AM meeting in Geneva the following morning and the next bus to Geneva was for 2PM the next day I ended up sharing a cab with a family from Poland.  

I've been back to France four times since that trip (three times to Paris, once to Montpellier) and have never had any other language issues in France. I did in Italy once but that's another story.

I've visited Prague three times, and I don't speak Czech.  In 2000, I ran into a couple situations where I needed to puzzle out some basic things in Czech.  That was less the case in 2004, and in 2007, I don't remember really having to try to speak Czech at all.  I imagine ten years on it's gotten even easier.

The last time was the first time as a cacher, and the caches back then were all in English.  Now that there are Czech reviewers, newer listings are in Czech, but certainly if you look around the popular tourist spots, you'll find many listings include an English description, often a German one as well.

Enjoy!  You'll be there in the off season, it'll be a little cold but the tradeoff is that you'll have the city that much less crowded with tourists -- Charles Bridge (Karluv Most) can be packed in the season.

17 hours ago, Rebore said:

I've wasted four years learning Italian with a horrible teacher, and the only phrase I remember is "Scusi, mi sa dire da quale binario parte il treno a Napoli?"

This sentence gets you everywhere. :D

I don't speak Italian but it looks to me like that sentence wouldn't get you anywhere except Napoli (which might confuse someone if you were already in Napoli).

19 hours ago, SeattleWayne said:
On 1/6/2018 at 9:10 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've been back to France four times since that trip (three times to Paris, once to Montpellier) and have never had any other language issues in France. I did in Italy once but that's another story.

Do tell. ;)

I've told the story before but...

I was in Rome for a few days and had several hours available on the first to do some geocaching.  I had found a few and was sort of making my way back to my hotel and stopped to find a cache near the Colosseum.   It was hidden in a stone wall which I spotted from more than 100 feet away.  Keeping in mind that there are hundreds if not thousands of tourists in the area I employed the "act like you belong" strategy and walked up to the spot, removed the container, signed the log and put it back.  As I turned around there was a guy walking toward me with what appeared to be a GPS on his belt.  Figuring him for another geocacher, I smiled, sort of pointed at the hiding spot and  nodded my head.  I had walked down the road about 300' when a police car pulled up next to me.  Two polizia got out (one was the guy I saw and was holding the cache), both wearing plain clothes.  That "GPS" I saw was actually a radio.  They proceeded to ask me about the cache, in Italian, and didn't seem to speak English and I don't speak Italian.  I showed them my GPS and tried to explain the game but they didn't seem to understand.  Eventually they asked a nearby street vendor to come over and help translate.  After a few questions they were able to use the policemans phone to get to the geocaching.com (which, fortunately can be viewed in Italian).  They were still interested in the the log sheets,  so I had to explain why there were "names" and numbers on it.  After about 15 minutes I was told I was free to go.  I told the interpretor to ask if they wanted me to return the cache and they said that they would "take care of it".   I looked at the cache page the next day and there were a few more found it logs after mine so apparently they did return the cache.  

4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've told the story before but...

I was in Rome for a few days and had several hours available on the first to do some geocaching.  I had found a few and was sort of making my way back to my hotel and stopped to find a cache near the Colosseum.   It was hidden in a stone wall which I spotted from more than 100 feet away.  Keeping in mind that there are hundreds if not thousands of tourists in the area I employed the "act like you belong" strategy and walked up to the spot, removed the container, signed the log and put it back.  As I turned around there was a guy walking toward me with what appeared to be a GPS on his belt.  Figuring him for another geocacher, I smiled, sort of pointed at the hiding spot and  nodded my head.  I had walked down the road about 300' when a police car pulled up next to me.  Two polizia got out (one was the guy I saw and was holding the cache), both wearing plain clothes.  That "GPS" I saw was actually a radio.  They proceeded to ask me about the cache, in Italian, and didn't seem to speak English and I don't speak Italian.  I showed them my GPS and tried to explain the game but they didn't seem to understand.  Eventually they asked a nearby street vendor to come over and help translate.  After a few questions they were able to use the policemans phone to get to the geocaching.com (which, fortunately can be viewed in Italian).  They were still interested in the the log sheets,  so I had to explain why there were "names" and numbers on it.  After about 15 minutes I was told I was free to go.  I told the interpretor to ask if they wanted me to return the cache and they said that they would "take care of it".   I looked at the cache page the next day and there were a few more found it logs after mine so apparently they did return the cache.  

Thanks for telling it again. :)

AFTER ACTION REPORT:  I have returned!  Before I left I did a map recon.  I checked out all the local caches to our apartment and I translated those on the computer w/the help of good ol' Google before hand.  I printed off what I had researched and used that as a crutch.  It was about 50/50 to those posted in Czech AND in English.  Better safe than sorry.  I also made a Czech Adventure List of various caches in the area and saved the off line data to my phone.  Just in case.  We paid 10$ extra on our phone plan to have internet the entire time there.  Worked like a charm!  All in all I was able to keep up w/my streak, found 20 during our vacation (more than I had expected), found the ones on Charles Bridge (WOOT!), found some super virtual caches and most importantly because of Geocaching I found some places even our Czech local didn't even know existed!!  I also got their 10 year old twins hooked on the hobby.  Every day they wanted to know if we were going to go "hunt for ghosts" (the virtual caches).  What fun was had!  Then, once we were back home at the airport , I hear; "You look lost!"  I look up and it's Lackey gearguru!  What a small world! 

P.S.  NYPaddleCacher -- GREAT STORY!  I had zero issues w/the authorities ... THIS TIME.  |:0)

• Upvote 1
On 3/6/2018 at 9:14 AM, go.warcat said:

AFTER ACTION REPORT:  I have returned!  Before I left I did a map recon.  I checked out all the local caches to our apartment and I translated those on the computer w/the help of good ol' Google before hand.  I printed off what I had researched and used that as a crutch.  It was about 50/50 to those posted in Czech AND in English.  Better safe than sorry.  I also made a Czech Adventure List of various caches in the area and saved the off line data to my phone.  Just in case.  We paid 10$ extra on our phone plan to have internet the entire time there.  Worked like a charm!  All in all I was able to keep up w/my streak, found 20 during our vacation (more than I had expected), found the ones on Charles Bridge (WOOT!), found some super virtual caches and most importantly because of Geocaching I found some places even our Czech local didn't even know existed!!  I also got their 10 year old twins hooked on the hobby.  Every day they wanted to know if we were going to go "hunt for ghosts" (the virtual caches).  What fun was had!  Then, once we were back home at the airport , I hear; "You look lost!"  I look up and it's Lackey gearguru!  What a small world! 

P.S.  NYPaddleCacher -- GREAT STORY!  I had zero issues w/the authorities ... THIS TIME.  |:0).  

Glad you had a good time.  20 finds might not seem like a lot by todays standards but that probably gave you a good sense of what geocaching is like in the area.  I got back from Cuba last night.  I didn't do any geocaching there this time but while I was there I got an invitation to participate in a workshop in Belgium in August.  I only got one find the last time I was in Belgium and it doesn't look like there are many caches in the town I'll be visiting but I hope I can find the time to grab a few more. 

BTW,  motorcycles with sidecars are fairly common in Cuba.  I saw a few during the 4 days I was there.