...properly prepare for a trip somewhere?

pantadeusz

Hello, how do you search for interesting caches when you go somewhere away from home? I am asking because at different points in the past I have missed

- extremely old caches (eg GC28)

- caches of the week

- D/T combinations (before I finished my matrix)

- interesting and rare cache types

- caches with a lot of favourite points

- caches that would help me fill my hidden month calendar

very close to where I have been staying. Is there a way to find all this information and more without looking for each category separately?

3 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

It seems that I plan my trips the "old fashioned" way. Using Geocaching maps, I go to the area where I want to Cache filtering out what I want to find, incl. Multis and mysteries that have corrected coordinates. Then I travel back along the route I would take looking for tradis.

That may work for a "short trip" but I see "away from home" as at least a few days. For holidays (3-4 weeks) I use PQs to cover the whole area (might be 4-5000 Km route) then filter (in GSAK) for caches along routes and then start manually reviewing them unselecting the ones I don't want. In 2016 that left me with about 2500 caches close to our route traveling through New Zealand, We ended up doing 107.

I will usually review areas on the geocaching.com map to look for caches. I might look at favorite point, or D/T combinations, or specific locations (ie, lakeshore, island, historic locations). I'll then add those caches to a Bookmark List of 'target caches'. I'll then download that list offline in the official app. When traveling somewhere, I'll view that specific list to see if any of those target caches are nearby.

I'll also have my GPSr loaded with all caches for the specific areas we're travelling to. I use my GPSr as my primary caching tool, but will view the target list on the app to make sure I don't miss 'special' caches.

Before the official app supported offline lists, I did change icons for specific caches within my downloaded PQ  .gpx files, so I would be able to identify specific caches on the GPSr screen. For example, I changed a few non-virtual cache icons to show the virtual ghost icon. There weren't any virtual caches in the area, so I knew the ghost icon was for caches that were 'special' and I prioritized our route to those locations.