Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
pantadeusz

...properly prepare for a trip somewhere?

6 posts in this topic

Hello, how do you search for interesting caches when you go somewhere away from home? I am asking because at different points in the past I have missed

- extremely old caches (eg GC28)

- caches of the week

- D/T combinations (before I finished my matrix)

- interesting and rare cache types

- caches with a lot of favourite points

- caches that would help me fill my hidden month calendar

very close to where I have been staying. Is there a way to find all this information and more without looking for each category separately?

I plan all my trips using GSAK.  If you use GSAK, I can help.  If not, I'll have to pass it on to someone else.

GSAK makes this very easy. Populate a database  using PQs or the API and filter what you need.

It seems that I plan my trips the "old fashioned" way. Using Geocaching maps, I go to the area where I want to Cache filtering out what I want to find, incl. Multis and mysteries that have corrected coordinates. Then I travel back along the route I would take looking for tradis.

3 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

It seems that I plan my trips the "old fashioned" way. Using Geocaching maps, I go to the area where I want to Cache filtering out what I want to find, incl. Multis and mysteries that have corrected coordinates. Then I travel back along the route I would take looking for tradis.

That may work for a "short trip" but I see "away from home" as at least a few days. For holidays (3-4 weeks) I use PQs to cover the whole area (might be 4-5000 Km route) then filter (in GSAK) for caches along routes and then start manually reviewing them unselecting the ones I don't want. In 2016 that left me with about 2500 caches close to our route traveling through New Zealand, We ended up doing 107.

A useful resource for that is project-gc.com where you can get maps of caches matching these criteria.

I didn't try downloading them from that site, but I am sure there is some way for that. Try their forum if you need help.