Transparent image upload broken

JuRoot

When I try to upload picture with transparent background (gif or png) for geocache, log or profile picture, it gets processed with white background on geocaching.com website, resulting image is transformed into broken state. For example, when trying to make white information for listing where dark background is used, all content disappears (because of lack of transparent background).

I have the same problem with my profile photo, which contains transparency.

The site used to display it correctly up to recently, but it is now broken, and my profile now displays something really ugly (yuck) instead of the nice logo I chose. Same display in this forum site (on upper banner + left to my log).
What is the reason for suddenly not supporting images formats with transparency?

2 hours ago, iloe said:

What is the reason for suddenly not supporting images formats with transparency?

One reason could be the controlling the size of image files. Many times images are uploaded in extremely large size and especially non jpg image files can be terrible large without any visual benefit. Current solution shrinks the most problematic images to a reasonable size.

3 hours ago, 10011010 said:

Also, page load speeds are not effected by this change since all uploaded images are replaced by adaptive insertions.

This is not how it works. CO can choose whether to use compressed or the original image. The change was that the original image gets converted also to jpg and you can not use features of the original format any more as before.