Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Geonomes

Travel Tools of the Trade

15 posts in this topic

What geocaching tool kit do you carry on your hikes?  What do you carry your tools in?    Photo?

GPS, pen, camera, tweezers, gloves,  trackables, mirror, CITO bags, magnet, hook, log roller, paper clip, extra log papers, coin, extender pole, ladder, string/line, grabber tool, water, 

I definitely do not carry all of these on my trail bike, but wanted to start a list.

What’s your minimalist travel tool kit?  I’d love to see it.

Here are photos of the one I put together.

includes: pen, probe, log roller, magnet,  hook, paper clip, tweezers, short rope, trackable coin.

i haven’t needed the paper clip yet, the coin allows me to see track of all my finds.     

And, if I lost this in the field, there is a chance that a kind soul would be able to track it back to me.

B97AD2D2-089E-4DD1-AB7D-4F0B713C4ECC.jpeg

42834F8C-B4FE-4D72-A539-332D6B49E150.jpeg

08544DB8-FC4C-45DA-AB18-293A512E4CB6.jpeg

Measures 1.5 x 4 inches.

We've never needed a grabber/extension tool, tweezers, or magnets to cache.  Area specific maybe?  :)

What caches we head to decide what pack/gear going out.  150-300' of rope, harness and devices weigh a bit, while a walk on a game lands trail/road may just need water ... and a pen, always a pen (with a pencil and sharpie)

My daily bag  with all the essentials (even overnight) is  a small camera bag lately, and it just drops in with other stuff if something more than just a walk's planned.

10 hours ago, Geonomes said:

What’s your minimalist travel tool kit?

There are some geocaching-related things that I keep with me as my everyday carry: my Android phone (with a geocaching app, flashlight app, rot13 app), pens (gel pen, Fisher Space Pen, Sharpie), a Leatherman Micra, cache repair kit (weatherproof log sheets, duct tape, O-rings), personal signature tokens, and a few small trade items for when I want to trade for other geocachers' personal signature items.

There are a number of other tools that I've used occasionally, including a telescoping magnetic grabber and a telescoping fruit picker. But those aren't really part of a "minimalist" geocaching kit. They're things I bring when I expect to need them.

I have a full bag of everything yo could possibly ever think of that I keep in my cachemobile. But realistically? I always wear my lanyard, which has a pen and a Leatherman.

If I had to say what I use each and every day, and could not live without? A pen and a walking stick ;)

3 hours ago, Tumbleweedeb said:

If I had to say what I use each and every day, and could not live without? A pen and a walking stick ;)

Hmm, I’m sure there is a way to have a pen in a walking stick.

Those are really essentials when hiking. I just wanna ask what can you guys suggest to avoid getting lost while hiking or at least help you just in case you're lost? 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:17 AM, RilyWilliams said:

Those are really essentials when hiking. I just wanna ask what can you guys suggest to avoid getting lost while hiking or at least help you just in case you're lost? 

Well, given that this is a side-forum of a GPS-based hobby, a handheld GPSr would be nice. I'd add a local map too.    :)

We don't leave (even on a light hike - JIC) the car without marking parking.

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Great advice.

On 1/3/2018 at 9:32 PM, Geonomes said:
On 1/3/2018 at 6:35 PM, Tumbleweedeb said:

Hmm, I’m sure there is a way to have a pen in a walking stick.

I have a camera tripod mount in the top of mine, which I put in by drilling a hole. 

dad66c44-9045-43b9-b9ad-648607fac239.jpg

I suppose it could go deeper without cracking the stick to put a pen in there.

2 hours ago, hzoi said:

I have a camera tripod mount in the top of mine, which I put in by drilling a hole. 

Or a folded SpacePen through and at the base of the handhold.    

Or a routed slot somewhere out of the way.

8 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Hmm...  When needed, I use the tracks on my GPS to get me back to the Dolphinmobile.  Learn that after I go lost a few hundred feet from a road, and had to wait for a car to drive by to know which direction to go.

32 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Hmm...  When needed, I use the tracks on my GPS to get me back to the Dolphinmobile.  Learn that after I go lost a few hundred feet from a road, and had to wait for a car to drive by to know which direction to go.

Quite a few years ago I did a short hike over a ridge to a cave  from Jenny Jump SP.  GPSr died (batteries).   CJ "borrowed" my spares (didn't notice).  Luckily there was a full moon out, and with the light snow,  followed my tracks back to the truck.  When caching, have two in my pocket ever since.   :)

9 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Quite a few years ago I did a short hike over a ridge to a cave  from Jenny Jump SP.  GPSr died (batteries).   CJ "borrowed" my spares (didn't notice).  Luckily there was a full moon out, and with the light snow,  followed my tracks back to the truck.  When caching, have two in my pocket ever since.   :)

It would have been risky for your safety if it hadn't snow lightly that time

On 1/8/2018 at 9:50 AM, hzoi said:

I love that! Way cool :)