Etrex 20x GPS

dangergirl07

When setting up a brand new Garmin GPS for my son , i set it up with his geocaching profile not realizing in order to download lists or caches he needs to be a premium member.  I've been trying to figure out how to change the profile/sign in info for the geocaching in the GPS to mine, since i am a premium member, and i cannot figure out how to do that on the GPS itself.  

Does anyone know where i can go to change the profile and sign in on the GPS to my geocaching info and log in?

Thank you Mineral2 !

I created a list under my profile online, then sent it to the GPS, and it opened Garmin Express and downloaded.  I got the Download Complete message.  When i go into the GPS unit itself tho and hit geocaching, it says there are none.  Do you know how i find them on the unit itself?  I thought the error was what i stated above, but since it doesnt matter what you sign in as your profile name in the GPS unit i dont know where to find the downloaded list.    TIA!

That should have worked.  Express should have made a .GPX file in the Garmin/GPX directory on the GPS.

There could be a few reasons that you do not see it.  If they are a long distance away, they will not show up.  If you have found them, then the default filter will not show them.  Press "menu", then "apply filter" and make sure everything is turned on to show.

If it is none of those, let us know and we can suggest some more serious fixes.

If I understand the tread correctly, I need to upgrade my gps (currently etrex 20) in order to fully use geocaching.com website to upload cache data.  I was able to use the website with my old, old Mac but now with my new Mac I have to download the gpx file then plug in my gps and drag and drop gpx files.

What is the next level of gps that will allow me to transfer files directly from website to gps?

52 minutes ago, E Ticket said:

If I understand the tread correctly, I need to upgrade my gps (currently etrex 20) in order to fully use geocaching.com website to upload cache data.  I was able to use the website with my old, old Mac but now with my new Mac I have to download the gpx file then plug in my gps and drag and drop gpx files.

What is the next level of gps that will allow me to transfer files directly from website to gps?

Are you saying that you don't want to plug your GPSr into the computer?  Have you been transferring (drag-and-drop) caches individually or in bulk?

• If you haven't already been using Pocket Queries (PQs), then you may want to look into that.  With PQs, you can get a gpx file with up to 1000 caches in it, which would be better than transferring caches individually. PQs have a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it then it's pretty quick. I have an eTrex 20 and use PQs, but this option does require connecting the GPSr to the computer.
  • Another option to load caches in bulk is using Garmin Express, which allows you to send Bookmark Lists of caches directly to your GPSr. You still have to connect the GPSr to the computer with this option as well.

If you don't want to connect your etrex to your computer at all, then you'd probably need to look at the Garmin Oregon 700 series. I'm sure other cachers in the forum will chime in with additional advice.

Your finds will still download unless you remove them from the list. But each time you use the "Send List to Garmin" feature, a new file of the same name will overwrite the old file, and if you have removed your found caches from the list, they will not download with the new file. You can use filters to hide your finds (this might be enabled by default) so that they don't distract you from your unfound geocaches. If your list(s) aren't large and you don't geocache heavily, deleting your finds may not be a high priority.

However, since the eTrex series do have a limited geocache capacity, it's still worth knowing where your files are stored and how to remove them if you need to.

When you plug your GPS into the computer, it mounts as a mass storage drive (think USB thumb drive or external hard drive) with its own letter designation ( E:, F: etc.) or volume name (/Garmin/). All files are within the Garmin directory, and then the GPX directory. Here you'll find any files related to geocaching as well as tracks, waypoints, and routes that you create and store. You simply navigate to this folder and delete the files you don't want. This is also where you would save files if downloading them directly instead of using the "Send List to Garmin" feature. 

For many of us, we choose to use pocket queries rather than lists to manage caches that we want to download. This lets us get a comprehensive list of geocaches for an area, filtering out those we are uninterested in according to attributes (found, for example). This is one way to load geocaches while excluding your finds, effectively removing them from your GPS each time you run and download a query. https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

Just so the OP isn’t confused and needlessly concerned,  the “limited geocache capacity” of the eTrex series mentioned by Mineral2 is 5000 geocaches if multiple caches are in each file as is the case when pocket queries are used. However I fully agree that you should clean out caches as a normal practice. 

Also when talking about drafts, Red90 meant to say the system will ignore ones *prior* to the last date you uploaded. 

NB The eTrex 10 is the ugly child of the line and as an entry level, or bare bones unit, is far more limited than the rest of the line.

Also thanks to Mineral2 and Red90 for their frequent and useful posts. 

Bonjour j ai une petite question. 

Je viens de avoir un etrex 20,j ai télécharger des cachés dessus. Quand j ouvre le GPS sur mon ordi, j ai plus ou moin 20 cachés enregistre mais quand j ouvre le GPS lui même et que je vais sur cache au trésor, je n envoie que 9,comment faire pour les voirs toutes ? 

Merci beaucoup, bonne journee

1 hour ago, leplayboun said:

Bonjour j ai une petite question.

Wie bitte? Please have in mind that this forum's lingua franca is English. Thanks.

Check your Geocaching filter settings. Clear all filters.

Edited by HHL