Delayed log notification Emails.

alan666notb

I'm getting huge delays in some Log notification Emails, up to 24 hours between someone logging one of my caches and me receiving the Emails. There doesn't seem to be any pattern, it doesn't affect any particular cache, TB or log type.  It's been happening for over a week or so and isn't just affecting me, my partner is also seeing similar delays, also seemingly at random.

Here's the relevant header fields from two Emails I received four hours apart, I logged a maintenance performed on one of my caches and dropped a TB I was watching with the same log entry.

----- The first Email is for the TB drop, headers were ...

Received: from mail04.Groundspeak.com ([63.251.163.229]) by mx.kundenserver.de
 (mxeue010 [212.227.15.41]) with ESMTPS (Nemesis) id 1MQOEz-1eg1ke1LGb-00MqQU
 for <geocache@xxxxxxxxx.co.uk>; Sun, 24 Dec 2017 20:12:49 +0100

Received: from appint03 (bigip-lb.Groundspeak.pub [172.22.16.1])
    by mail04.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 102578C3564
    for <geocache@xxxxxxxxx.co.uk>; Sun, 24 Dec 2017 03:36:25 -0800 (PST)

---- The second Email is for the log and arrived 4 hours later, headers were ...

Received: from mail04.Groundspeak.com ([63.251.163.229]) by mx.kundenserver.de
 (mxeue109 [217.72.192.67]) with ESMTPS (Nemesis) id 1N4Q0e-1evSxx3Sha-010wEj
 for <geocache@xxxxxxxxx.co.uk>; Mon, 25 Dec 2017 00:12:43 +0100

by mail04.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id C498C8C3561
    for <geocache@xxxxxxxxx.co.uk>; Sun, 24 Dec 2017 03:36:24 -0800 (PST)

Any ideas what's going on?

Same here. Most e-mail from Groundspeak is affected:

• Logs for own caches
  • Watchlist logs
  • Instant ( ;) ) notifications for other caches (e.g. "Publish")

I notice this since about a week or so.

As the OP has said, the behavior is very erratic. Sometimes the mail arrives almost immediately (I can tell, when I e.g. log a cache on my watchlist), and sometimes the delay is many hours. It's definitely becoming a real nuisance ... :(

I just received a whole bunch of mails, which should have been delivered over the course of the last 8 hours.

Interestingly, one of them was a Publish log via the Watchlist! This should normally be impossible, because I can only put a listing on the WL after publication. In this case, I had noticed the new cache on the map and put it on the WL. I had searched for it, and logged a find. Another cacher also logged a find. Despite the two logs, I didn't get any WL mails for them. Until right now, when I received three mails for the cache - and the first one was for the publish log.

So it seems that not (only) the delivery of the mails is delayed, but also their initial generation.

19 hours ago, baer2006 said:

I just received a whole bunch of mails, which should have been delivered over the course of the last 8 hours.

Interestingly, one of them was a Publish log via the Watchlist! This should normally be impossible, because I can only put a listing on the WL after publication. In this case, I had noticed the new cache on the map and put it on the WL. I had searched for it, and logged a find. Another cacher also logged a find. Despite the two logs, I didn't get any WL mails for them. Until right now, when I received three mails for the cache - and the first one was for the publish log.

So it seems that not (only) the delivery of the mails is delayed, but also their initial generation.

Hi baer2006 - Would you mind sending me the GC code for this geocache?

If there are other examples of unusual behavior with notifications please include the GC code and the type of notification that was affected i.e. "didn't receive a CO notification for GCXXX".

Thanks!

OK, here's something unusual ..

I picked up a this TB at an event - Doc's Shake (TB5TYMK)

When I went to log it I found it hadn't been dropped in the event yet so I 'watched' it, Then the cacher who previously held it told me he had dropped it in the event, so I retrieved it without waiting for an Email notifying me of the drop.

Sometime later, I get the following Emails...

---- 02/01/2018 00:42 Retrieve It from a Cache (Date stamped  20:52 by GS)

---- 02/01/2018 04:41 Dropped Off (Date stamped 16:27 by GS)

So, I received the 'retrieved' email approx 4 hours before the 'dropped' email.

1 hour ago, HiddenGnome said:

Hi baer2006 - Would you mind sending me the GC code for this geocache?

If there are other examples of unusual behavior with notifications please include the GC code and the type of notification that was affected i.e. "didn't receive a CO notification for GCXXX".

Thanks!

GC7DYFR

In case it's important, here is the header of the publish notification via watchlist (I erased my own mail address, and highlighted the time stamps):

From - Mon Jan  1 22:13:21 2018
X-Account-Key: account2
X-UIDL: 0M0ccY-1em0PE3gkQ-00uuDa
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:                                                                                 
Return-Path: <noreply@geocaching.com>
Received: from mail03.Groundspeak.com ([63.251.163.228]) by mx-ha.gmx.net
 (mxgmx014 [212.227.15.9]) with ESMTPS (Nemesis) id 1N7BJ0-1ezjdm17nA-017aQD
 for <xxx@gmx.net>; Mon, 01 Jan 2018 22:12:18 +0100
	by mail03.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 7664488C2F7
	for <xxx@gmx.net>; Mon,  1 Jan 2018 09:22:37 -0800 (PST)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=geocaching.com;
	s=mail; t=1514827357;
	bh=Q38gRPSmIx4+GEnzVd02U//2KSuhll2c9s58o0/suRU=;
	h=From:To:Date:Subject:From;
	b=mOx6r/itlEWCRUH5ztul7B3IzkcrI0CZr6f+FTg68+D1h5P92LtSowArtAj0DxjKS
	 ATB/8TxSdv4PkP4rE+fTk2W7+Y7xKR1Sx4ntfRMZ/oj1bi+QVxafe9T1TtjBax1YDz
	 pBrmYr252ih5ZOgz2LO0S9Q/sZsWR3vA1jKuWUR4=
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: xxx@gmx.net
Date: 1 Jan 2018 09:22:37 -0800
Subject: [LOG] Watchlist: buttnmandl published Leitstrahl (Unknown Cache)
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Message-Id: <20180101172237.7664488C2F7@mail03.Groundspeak.com>
On 1.1.2018 at 9:04 PM, baer2006 said:

Same here. Most e-mail from Groundspeak is affected:

• Logs for own caches
  • Watchlist logs
  • Instant ( ;) ) notifications for other caches (e.g. "Publish")

I extend this list with

• Copies of mails sent via the mailing form on the GC website

I sent a mail to another cacher (a reviewer, actually), and didn't get a copy into my mailbox (yes, I did check the option, as always). Assuming that the delivery of the actual mail to the recipient is similarly delayed (which I assume), the problem is seriously disrupting communication between cachers :mad:. Especially with reviewers, because the backup (Message Center) is not available for them.

It is possible that there are multiple issues here, but we have confirmed that several email service providers are deferring our emails including gmx.net. This is causing delays in the delivery of the emails to your inbox. We will be contacting these providers in an effort to resolve any issues, but it will take time to allow the backlog of emails to clear out.

13 minutes ago, HiddenGnome said:

It is possible that there are multiple issues here, but we have confirmed that several email service providers are deferring our emails including gmx.net.

Given the "Publish log via watchlist" thing, there must be other issues beyond delayed delivery by certain mail providers. Anyway, I'll try a different provider - I have several mail addresses configured at the GC site, and only have to switch the primary. But currently, the website itself is also extremely slow, making a quick test impossible. Not the best time for Groundspeak IT ... :wacko:

18 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

Anyway, I'll try a different provider - I have several mail addresses configured at the GC site, and only have to switch the primary. But currently, the website itself is also extremely slow, making a quick test impossible. Not the best time for Groundspeak IT ... :wacko:

Ok, I was finally able to run a test. Apart GMX, I have accounts validated with GS at two other providers: 1und1, and Googlemail. I changed my primary mail address, and logged a note on one of my own caches, so that I should receive an owner notification. I ran the test twice with both providers. With Googlemail, I got both mails immediately, but with 1und1, I got none.

So the mail providers are definitely involved. And I would really appreciate it, if you get the issue resolved ;) - thank you!

46 minutes ago, HiddenGnome said:

It is possible that there are multiple issues here, but we have confirmed that several email service providers are deferring our emails including gmx.net. This is causing delays in the delivery of the emails to your inbox. We will be contacting these providers in an effort to resolve any issues, but it will take time to allow the backlog of emails to clear out.

okay, makes sense now. Some of my fellow cachers don't realize any problems while others have the same issue like us.

My email accounts for geocaching are hosted at web.de

The brands gmx.de, web.de and 1und1 are all part of "United Internet AG". Probably there is the root cause.

19 hours ago, baer2006 said:

Apart GMX, I have accounts validated with GS at two other providers: 1und1, and Googlemail. [...] With Googlemail, I got both mails immediately, but with 1und1, I got none.

Makes sense since GMX belongs to 1und1 and they share their infrastructure - as does web.de. Their market share among email providers in Germany is about 52% so I think that a vast amount of German geocachers is affected - me included :(

Spoke too soon!

I see that you have problems with 1and1 ISP which is what I use, I created a spare gmail account, made it my primary account on geocaching.com and set the gmail account to forward messages to my 1and1 account. Now I get notifications straight away.

But what a faff!, what's going on? Either you or 1and1 really need to sort this out.

12 hours ago, alan666notb said:

Either you or 1and1 really need to sort this out.

Yes, but it isn't as simple as you might think.

I have worked for companies that sent a lot of opt-in email, and it can be a full-time job (literally) keeping the major ISPs happy. They don't warn you when they blacklist your email servers, and they don't make it easy to get off their blacklist. The worst ones were the ones that catered to less-technical users. Those users would get tired of receiving our opt-in newsletter, and rather than click the unsubscribe link that appeared in every email we sent, they would click their ISP's junkmail button. A few reports like that, and the ISP would blacklist us for "multiple spam reports". We'd confirm the legitimacy of our opt-in email system to them, they'd eventually remove us from the blacklist, and the cycle would start all over. And meanwhile, the same cycle occurs with dozens of other ISPs.

I've heard that it's easier for an ISP's customers to get a site off a blacklist than for the site itself to get off the blacklist. But I've never actually had to do that with any of my ISPs, so I can't say for sure.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Lost-Wolf said:

How can I contact them.

On the page I can't any contact information.

Contacting gmx is quite expensive and is obviously only possible per phone call from Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

They charge 3,99 EUR per call. ProMail customers may call free of charge,

here are the details from their help page https://hilfe.gmx.net/email/email-verspaetet-angekommen.html

Kontaktieren Sie uns

Sie erreichen unsere Hotline werktags von 08 bis 21 Uhr, und am Wochenende 10 bis 18 Uhr.
*3,99 EUR pro Anruf - nur aus dem deutschen Festnetz erreichbar.
GMX ProMail und TopMail Kunden steht eine kostenlose Rufnummer zur Verfügung, welche im Kundencenter hinterlegt ist.

DE 0900 1 000 877*
CH 0900 3 65 247 (3,00 CHF/Min. Mobilfunkpreise ggf. abweichend)
AT +43 1 26 76 378 (Festnetz)

I have just had someone log a series which I had on a watch list. First few mails were OK then everything else delayed and coming through sporadically. Not happy at all with 1 and 1 UK. From the ISP perspective surely it is not quantity of messages that should matter. What made them trigger this behaviour in the first place I wonder?

I use a web.de address and also observe the delays. Another geocacher told me yesterday that he also observed delays of multiple hours with his gmail address last week.

I checked my delayed and non-delayed mails I received today and I see a pattern.

Delayed mails:

Received: from appint02 (bigip-lb.Groundspeak.pub [172.22.16.1])
	by mail03.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 37B5388033F
	by mail03.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6F13A882FC9

Non-delayed mails:

by mail04.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 49F748C0017

Can someone confirm/disprove this pattern?

Ich habe das Problem seit etwa Mitte April. Einige Notifications von meinen Caches oder von Caches auf der Watchlist kommen sofort, einige erst Tage später, andere gar nicht. Letzte Woche habe ich im Minutentakt ältere Notifications bekommen, als sei irgendwo ein Knoten geplatzt. Gestern habe ich vier E-Mails über das Message-Center verschickt und nur zwei Kopien bekommen. Es ist mal so, mal so, völlig unzuverlässig. Im Spam-Filter ist nichts aufgelaufen. Ich habe einen GMX-Account.

Wir haben seit Wochen die gleichen Probleme wie bernwell.

Betrifft quasi alles was von gc kommt:

-Owner notifications

-Benachrichtigungen über Nachrichten per MessageCenter

-PQs

Entweder kommt gar nichts und wenn, dann mit tagelanger Verspätung.

Gerade eben noch auf einen Schlag rund 10 Benachrichtigungen vom 2., 3. und 4. Mai bekommen.

Für uns als Cacheowner ist das besonders ärgerlich, weil wir häufig Hilferufe zu unseren Multis erhalten.

Eine nicht zeitnahe und zuverlässige Zustellung ist nutzlos.

Email-Provider ist gmx.

PinkieundderBrain

Offenbar ist die Kommunikation zwischen GC und GMX gestört.

Wenn ich in meinem GC-Profil eine ...@gmx.ch-Adresse als primäre Adresse angebe, habe ich ebenfalls die oben beschriebenen Verspätungen.

Seit ich eine andere (nicht-GMX) Adresse als primäre GC-Adresse eingetragen habe und die Mails von dort an meine GMX-Adresse weiterleite, sind die Verspätungen verschwunden.