geocaching server time

fuzzyant

11 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

If the date on your log matches the date of the souvenir, you should get it. No need to worry about time zones. I'm in Australia and for most of the day it's yesterday in Seattle, but even if I log a cache early on a souvenir day here it still works.

Unless you log a lab cache at a mega.  Lab caches are logged at Seattle time, which messed up my statistics.  I wrote to HQ and they refused to adjust the date.  Of course, they don't mention this anywhere. 

Driving to the mega on the Friday i set a new personal best of 50 caches in a day.  My stats show 59 that day because logged 9 lab caches on the Saturday.  

Several people at the Alexandra mega got 12 cache types in a day by driving to Melbourne to get the new virtual just after midnight, getting 10 types, including lab caches, near Alexandra and getting the Mount Buller webcam in the evening.  Except that they didn't.  The lab caches counted as the day before.

Don't you think it ironic that "The language of location" ignores a fundamental factor of location - the time zone?

20 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

If the date on your log matches the date of the souvenir, you should get it. No need to worry about time zones. I'm in Australia and for most of the day it's yesterday in Seattle, but even if I log a cache early on a souvenir day here it still works.

Having just found and logged my first cache for 2018, I can confirm that the correct sourvenir appeared even though it's still last year in Seattle.

38 minutes ago, dprovan said:
14 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Having just found and logged my first cache for 2018, I can confirm that the correct sourvenir appeared even though it's still last year in Seattle.

LOL! I was curious about what souvenir you were talking about, so I looked at your souvenir list:

"First Cache of 2018
Acquired on 12/31/2017"

Hmm, looks like it depends on which time zone you look at the souvenir from:

souvenir.png