Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Rickybennett

premium members only game ?

so i have not been on hear for a wile. so i get on hear to find some new geo info. and i cant find any thing. i go to the map but it shows nothing i click on the cach links to the right of the mad only to be told its a premium member only thing. all most any thing on the side is premium member only. so is this to mean you can no longer play for free. and i have to pay some amount of my to even see the geo's in my area that i get notified about people finding all then time but when i look them up there no where to be found.

what gives when did this become a pay to play only thing. where is all the non paying stuff this site and game has really gone down hill apparently 

As this is not a website bug report or feature suggestion, I've moved the thread to the "How do I...?" forum.  I encourage everyone to point the OP to relevant information about playing as a basic member.

OP, it would help to know how you're finding caches - what type of GPS and/or what Smartphone App do you have?

I have a basic member account, with home coords set. I just logged onto that account, hit the map link from the account, and up came my area with all the caches (I assume absent any set as Premium Member Only, but there aren't many like that in my area) . I could click on any of them, and get to the cache page where I could download a LOC file (cache name, cache coords, GC Code, no hint, description, or Difficulty or Terrain rating). I could also click on a "nearest caches" link to see a list of 20, which list does include PMO, and after entering the Captcha , can download 20 at a time (excluding the PMO, those won;'t download) . 

Other then having to use a Captcha, this is how the site worked for me as a Basic Member in 2003. 

I wonder if your issue may be "home coords set?" You can do that here  or, possibly not logged in at all?  Or, if you're using a smartphone app, that could change things as well. But start with logged into a verified account, and have some home coords set for sure.

I keep a "no home coords" account just to remind myself of how that works (or doesn't work). Site is really funky if user never sets home coords...

The question looks to me like the work of smartphone auto complete, and that plus

" so i have not been on hear for a wile. "

leads me to wonder if perhaps you are using an old outdated no longer functioning official app ? Just a guess, as I don't use one, never have, and can't claim any expertise.

I let go of my premium membership time-to-time, usually when some function I really liked gets changed or removed.  Last was two years.

Know what?  The basic membership never affected me one bit.  Don't do pmo hides, load caches manually, and get everything from the site.

You can too.  All caches but pmo are available to basic members on the site, and for free.   If you want to use a phone, learn how to do waypoints.  

Using little of my pm, I pay thinking I'm helping to cover those who remain basic members (for whatever reason...) to still get info, and enjoy this hobby for free.

I don't see what the issue is.

• Upvote 1

You can purchase a premium account or you can use the basic website. Both allow you to find caches. No one is forcing you to purchase a premium account and just because there's an option to do so doesn't mean things are "going down hill".

I was having problems with my caches disappearing. So I made them all "Premium Member Only" caches. They don't get as many finds, but they stopped getting stolen. And since I use ammo cans & "Rite-in-the-Rain" notebooks, replacing a cache isn't cheap.

I spend $100 a month on a gym membership I rarely use. So $30 a year for something I use several times a month seems pretty worth it.

On 12/30/2017 at 11:12 PM, Rickybennett said:

so i have not been on hear for a wile. so i get on hear to find some new geo info. and i cant find any thing. i go to the map but it shows nothing i click on the cach links to the right of the mad only to be told its a premium member only thing. all most any thing on the side is premium member only. so is this to mean you can no longer play for free. and i have to pay some amount of my to even see the geo's in my area that i get notified about people finding all then time but when i look them up there no where to be found.

what gives when did this become a pay to play only thing. where is all the non paying stuff this site and game has really gone down hill apparently 

I used my child's Basic account, and looked at the area of your first and last finds. (Burnsville, WV) There are loads of geocaches in that area which are not Premium Member Only. Are you looking in a different area?

While the rest of us support this hobby to make it free for beginners. And that is a good thing. But it isn't inexpensive to do. That's why we  are premiums, and get more information.