2018: Caching Everyday!

Geonomes

On 1/9/2018 at 8:56 AM, thebruce0 said:

ETA: That is to say, when people are doing daily streaks, if I think someone is 'fudging', honestly I don't think they're somehow cheating me, or it's unfair to me. It really isn't. It may be to them, but if they're fine with it, then that's their standard and I just shrug.

The way I look at things--not just geocaching, but all things--cheating, lying, etc. shows a lack of respect for the commitment and accomplishment of others, and that's just downright insulting.  Everyone has something important to them, so respect that even if it lacks value in your eyes.

esse quam verdi

45 minutes ago, Ranger Fox said:

The way I look at things--not just geocaching, but all things--cheating, lying, etc. shows a lack of respect for the commitment and accomplishment of others, and that's just downright insulting.  Everyone has something important to them, so respect that even if it lacks value in your eyes.

esse quam verdi

Not only a lack of respect, but dishonesty towards others. Not as big a deal with geocaching but it does make me wonder how far their dishonesty goes in their daily life,

Of course this only pertains when a person sets out to deliberately cheat. I've seen many times, people doing questionable things that they believe are perfectly fine. For instance, i know one person that claimed they completed 365 consecutive finds. The thing is, they did not go out and find a cache every day. What worked for them was to find more than one cache in a day, not date or log all of them, and save those non dated caches for days when they couldn't or didn't feel like going out. It would never occur to me this would be an acceptable practice but in their mind, it was perfectly fine. 

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, Mudfrog said:

i know one person that claimed they completed 365 consecutive finds. The thing is, they did not go out and find a cache every day. What worked for them was to find more than one cache in a day, not date or log all of them, and save those non dated caches for days when they couldn't or didn't feel like going out. It would never occur to me this would be an acceptable practice but in their mind, it was perfectly fine. 

For me, I don't feel personally cheated or insulted by that. If they're honest about doing that, then they're honest about their own standards. Now if they lie to me about doing that (saying they found a cache on those days when they didn't, and I know it), then my opinion of them might lower, but it certainly doesn't degrade my own accomplishment. After all, if we know they did that, then we can simply explain the different logging standards. Value restored.
It's just like high find count days. Some people claim over 1000 - Well if their name is in the logbooks, the Find logs are legitimate, regardless of their "strategy". But a person who logged 50 while taking baby steps uphill on a powertrail and hand signing every logsheet in their own blood would have accomplished an even more impressive feat than mere numbers in one day. The standard was different.

So again, I won't care if someone else claims the challenge by a different standard, even if cheating by mine. It doesn't insult me or my accomplishment. Is it worth my time and energy to get worked up about something that really does not affect anyone else? Should I feel personally insulted if someone else does their challenge a different way than I did? They didn't cheat anyone else out of anything.

If Joe over there skimped on half their days, how does that degrade my 366? Not in the slightest.  Likewise, there may be days when I logged a cache that are lower than someone else's standards. I wouldn't assume to compare my stats on an equal level as anyone else, for precisely that same reason. My standards may be more lax than someone else's, so their 366 would be more impressive than my 366. All traditionals? Heck yes. All mysteries? Wowzers. All T4 and up? *gasp*.  Couch logged for a month? ... whatev.

My recommendation is: Don't sweat the small stuff. Encourage higher standards, but if their decisions don't affect anyone but themselves, then don't take it personally, and it's not worth a moral rampage.  It's not like cheating in the olympics. And if you feel like the value of your accomplishment is lessened by how someone else does theirs, well, just don't, because it isn't. :)

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

My recommendation is: Don't sweat the small stuff. Encourage higher standards, but if their decisions don't affect anyone but themselves, then don't take it personally, and it's not worth a moral rampage.  It's not like cheating in the olympics. And if you feel like the value of your accomplishment is lessened by how someone else does theirs, well, just don't, because it isn't. :)

I kind of agree. I just go caching and I try not to worry too much about the other guy.

4 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

What worked for them was to find more than one cache in a day, not date or log all of them, and save those non dated caches for days when they couldn't or didn't feel like going out.

With this logic, one could log 366 caches on one of those big "mega powertrails" in one day, and then log them online one by one over the next year - Mission "Streak 366" accomplished! No, "saving" finds to log them online on another day is in my view not a valid strategy for streaks.

I'm not into streaks, but occasionally I want to log a find on a specific day, where I wouldn't have much time at all. Sometimes I look for the cache the day before, but do not sign the log. Then I know exactly where the cache is, and I can drive up to it the next day to sign the log with zero search time. That might sound a bit over the top ;) , but when I want to claim a find on a specific day, I have to sign the cache log on that day.

21 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

I'm not into streaks, but occasionally I want to log a find on a specific day, where I wouldn't have much time at all. Sometimes I look for the cache the day before, but do not sign the log. Then I know exactly where the cache is, and I can drive up to it the next day to sign the log with zero search time. That might sound a bit over the top ;) , but when I want to claim a find on a specific day, I have to sign the cache log on that day.

Yep, this is one of those interesting grey areas that some people use and others avoid.  There's also (I believe mentioned earlier) doing parts of a multi or mystery in order to determine the final location, then log it on the day they sign the final logsheet. What if it's a park of a handful of multis, and you spend the day doing them all - short of finding each final - then returning on separate days just to sign the finals one at a time?  Some people, nope; some yep.  Same as heading to a powertrail, and grabbing them one by one down the trail one day at a time. SOme may call that cheap, some may say the cacher is lucky to have a powertrail like that close to home to make their daily streak easier :)

But yeah, I don't think anyone here agrees that physically pre-signing multiple logs, then merely posting the online log each separate day is a 'proper' way to do it. In that case, the finds may be valid (name in logsheet), but the actions are really against the spirit of the daily-geocaching challenge. Arguably, if it's a recurring thing this cacher does, one might theoretically be able to make the argument that they're abusing the system, and HQ may be able to step in with a suspension or ban. After all, the find logs imply findability as of the log date, but if it's a week or a month after the cache was actually signed, it may imply an incorrect cache state. That can mislead other cachers.

Edited by thebruce0
45 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Same as heading to a powertrail, and grabbing them one by one down the trail one day at a time.

How is this different from any other "don't waste opportunities" strategy? If there is a location near home/work/whatever with a significant number of caches, then what's wrong with finding them one per day, saving the rest for later?

Does it matter why I'm saving the rest for later? Maybe I'm working on a streak. Maybe I'm hoping a to qualify for a future yet-to-be-announced Souvenir. Maybe I just want an excuse to go geocaching in the future, so I don't like cleaning out an area where I enjoy geocaching.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

It's not like cheating in the olympics.

Of course the level of accolades for someone that competed (and won a medal) in the olympics can't be compared to geocaching but geocachers are frequently congratulated for achieving a certain number of finds (in my places someone will place a tribute cache to honor the accomplishment).  

My earlier posts in the thread didn't point any fingers at cheaters or make any claims about it's effect on me or anyone else.  The point was simply that when you're comparing a statistic, which in the context of this thread is the number of days in a row one has made a find, that comparing stats on a one player team with a multi-player team is like comparing apples to oranges.

The issue that I *do* have with cheating in geocaching it's impact on the reputation of the game.  Maybe someone claiming to have found caches 366 days in a row when they actually only went out half those days and actually just "logged" a find for each day doesn't effect anyone else specifically, but if geocaching gets a reputation of being a game where a lack of honesty and integrity is acceptable that could potentially impact everyone that plays the game.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, niraD said:

How is this different from any other "don't waste opportunities" strategy? If there is a location near home/work/whatever with a significant number of caches, then what's wrong with finding them one per day, saving the rest for later?

Surely you got the point I was making alongside the other examples?  I completely agree. That one was just a random thought that came to mind when I was thinking of different standards people may have when doing the challenge. Maybe there's no one who would actually think that, I dunno. So, you have no argument from me here.

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Of course the level of accolades for someone that competed (and won a medal) in the olympics can't be compared to geocaching but geocachers are frequently congratulated for achieving a certain number of finds (in my places someone will place a tribute cache to honor the accomplishment). 

Yep, indeed. Regardless, someone might get an accolade for 1000 finds in one day. How many would be somehow offended or cheated by that if their own accomplishment had a completely different standard and strategy? Recognition is only as valuable as the effort used to accomplish that goal, especially when it comes to something as vague as a streak challenge based on statistical records of dates online Found It logs.  A vastly different and lax objective standard than an actual competition where cheating is tangibly measurable and much more strict.

The point was simply that when you're comparing a statistic, which in the context of this thread is the number of days in a row one has made a find, that comparing stats on a one player team with a multi-player team is like comparing apples to oranges.

Completely agreed!

Maybe someone claiming to have found caches 366 days in a row when they actually only went out half those days and actually just "logged" a find for each day doesn't effect anyone else specifically, but if geocaching gets a reputation of being a game where a lack of honesty and integrity is acceptable that could potentially impact everyone that plays the game.

Also agreed, that's why I commented about encouraging a higher level of ethics - which to me is different than calling out "cheaters" for logging with different strategies. And if it's known that find logs themselves are invalid (objectively - in that the CO of any cache in question has the right to delete the log, or Groundspeak deems there's an abuse going on and takes proactive steps to clean up the logging) then reputation can essentially be restored by what the corrections demonstrate. That is, the standard for valid finds is known, and individuals who don't follow those objective standards are deemed as cheating the system. Which, again, is different than single vs team accounts, as we agree, or "Find" standards (per other threads discussing what constitutes 'valid' finds), etc. The case of undated logs signed on one day but logged online on different dates, those can be objectively problematic and misleading to other cachers, and if discovered could theoretically be dealt with as an abuse.

Anyway, dialing it back -- we each have logging standards. Insofar as each of our logging standards don't affect other geocachers, then I won't consider it "cheating" let alone feel personally insulted or any challenge I've accomplished devalued by the actions of other cachers I might consider below my own standards.  When it comes to skirting or breaking the guidelines though, that can be considered cheating because the standard that applies to all in this case in respect to Found It logs is being broken. And if that's found out, then actions can be taken to correct it - and that helps towards rectifying any mislead impressions of geocaching as a hobby or 'good' geocaching etiquette.

If I call out a "cheater", it means I know that guidelines have been broken, and I'd expect a corrective measure can be taken in response. Not just that I think someone accomplished the same goal but with lower standards or ethics. In that case, I really don't care; it doesn't insult me or my accomplishment, and it's not worth spending time be angry over.

Edited by thebruce0
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

Surely you got the point I was making alongside the other examples?

The examples of pre-finding caches seem completely different though. It's one thing to do everything but sign the log to set up a "guaranteed find" for later. Maybe it isn't against the rules, but it seems pretty cheesy.

But there is no obligation to clear out an area (even if that area includes a "power trail"), and saving caches for later isn't cheesy at all.

And again, I agree.  But the point was there are many standards and strategies some people do or may have that others do not have. Whether it's objectively cheating (breaking geocaching guidelines) or just a different personal ethic.  Guideline infractions and abuses can be reported and corrected (ie, cheating the system). But when it comes to challenges, "cheating" while earning the right say "I did this challenge" (ie, using different caching strategies) is just not worth fretting over. Someone else's accomplishment in no way belittles your or my own if we think the way they did it was 'cheaper' or easier than the way we did. All it takes is saying "this is how I did it" to restore any potentially lost 'value'.
Ain't no skin off my back if someone does 366 finds a different way. And honestly, even if they did break geocaching guidelines to do so, why would I be insulted?  Nope, not worth being worried about.

On 1/11/2018 at 11:21 AM, thebruce0 said:

...  the spirit of the daily-geocaching challenge....

For me, this means I go out geocaching and FIND a geocache every day, be it close to home on those bad weather or jam-packed busy days, or on the road as we travel.  Today makes 14 days of it, finding the cache and signing the logsheet for caches I had not searched/found before.  There are plenty nearby I don't have to "pre-find"!  My better half and I are doing this together, and sometimes we will find 2 - one he's already logged and one I've already logged, so we each keep our streak alive.

We are attending an event tomorrow, and I think we will also find a physical cache as well - although an event technically counts as a "find", it doesn't feel like a "find" if you know what I mean.  I've solved a couple of puzzles nearby, and there are several physical caches too - so we'll go to the event, and pick up a cache on the way there or home.

Right now it's still fun ... what cache are we going to find today??

On 1/11/2018 at 5:02 AM, Ranger Fox said:

I think about this kind of "insult" like this: either you know for sure there's lying and cheating, or you don't. If you don't know for sure, then just assume it's not happening. Presto, the "insult" goes away. And, in fact, assuming it is happening when you aren't sure is itself you insulting them.

On the other hand, if you know there's lying and cheating, then doesn't everyone else know there's lying and cheating? How can you feel insulted by a liar and a cheat?

• Upvote 1
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, CAVinoGal said:

We are attending an event tomorrow, and I think we will also find a physical cache as well - although an event technically counts as a "find", it doesn't feel like a "find" if you know what I mean. 

Per your stats page it is considered a Find. So there's that.

9 hours ago, SeattleWayne said:
On 1/12/2018 at 9:19 PM, CAVinoGal said:

We are attending an event tomorrow, and I think we will also find a physical cache as well - although an event technically counts as a "find", it doesn't feel like a "find" if you know what I mean. 

Per your stats page it is considered a Find. So there's that.

True - but we discussed it and decided we wouldn't use events as our "COTD" find.  We need to go find a physical cache and sign a logsheet to count it.... per our rules, and for ourselves only.

We did go to the event mentioned previously, the cacher we rode with won an FTF prize, so we were able to log that too, but we still went out and actually found a puzzle cache and a few others in the area as well, just because we felt like caching.   Definitely covered our cache find for the day!  Today we went out and walked, and logged one find - so we are still on track! 16 consecutive days and counting....

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

True - but we discussed it and decided we wouldn't use events as our "COTD" find.  We need to go find a physical cache and sign a logsheet to count it.... per our rules, and for ourselves only.

Don't forget to look for physical cache daily caching streak challenges ;) You'd certainly qualify for that if you actually log a physical cache during your personal rule daily caching challenge. A nice benefit to making your own ethics more stringent.

It started snowing on Wednesday, and the eastern US had snow dumped on us.  To prepare, I found a cache at 12:02 AM on Wednesday morning (I sat in the car and waited until 11:59 PM to get out).  That gave me the rest of Wednesday off.  On Thursday, I put on some boots and found a cache on a guard rail on a road close to the interstate.  For today, Friday, I commuted into work, which is one degree of longitude away, so I have a different set of caches available to me.  I just have to be sure not to pick something on the ground.  I think I have a few light poles saved specifically for a situation like this, so I can dip into that reserve if needed.  Anyway, that's an example of one way to play the game to take weather into account.

As for logging the caches... uh... whenever.  Logging is time-consuming for me because I try to write things.  I have better things to do than the paperwork.

• Upvote 1

Just checking in, it's January 29, and our "streak" is at 31 days (counting Dec. 30 & 31).  Two more days and we will have blanketed out January.  We won't get Feb fully blanketed till 2020, but, whatever!  We are still having fun!  We aren't really keeping track of whether it's trads, puzzles, virtuals, or whatever, but I am trying to mix it up and include more non traditionals in the mix to get my % of traditionals lower, just for fun.  I'm enjoying puzzles; even got the FTF on a recent puzzle locally!! (Even though I'm not really into the FTF thing, it WAS gratifying to solve and then find it first, especially as a relative newcomer to all this...but I digress...)

Oh, and we haven't "cheated" - we've gone and found caches and signed logs every day, in addition to attending events and logging virtuals and multis (that were really virtuals, but classed as multi's) and puzzles.  I feel if we have to resort to "cheating" to keep a streak alive, then we're not having fun anymore; it's become an obligation we have to fill some way.  We aren't there yet - it's still an adventure to plan our outing for the day, or to go our separate ways if schedules don't allow us to go together.

Checking in again, and an update - the streak is still alive for us at 60 days; we are currently out of state on a week vacation getaway and have no worries of limiting finds per day.  The bigger factor is the weather, and being able to go find geocaches when it gets snowy/stormy as it's predicted to do in the next couple of days.  There are a few caches nearby the resort we are at, and we've been saving some of those in case we can't get far by vehicle and have to walk.

Thanks to all who have weighed in on this thread with tips and suggestions for keeping the streak alive!

It's still fun, and I hit a milestone today as well (600 finds!); it was a Virtual,  "placed" in 2002 - pretty cool.  Cache on!

I am trying to do the same thing.  My longest streak is 127 days, which ended because I became really sick and just didn't feel like going out.  I enjoy caching and 2018 is seeing the fruition of several goals.  I will say, some of the caches I am finding are skirt lifters, WHICH I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE!  They are nearby wherever I am, and I am "seizing the moment."  As a result, the standard of caches for which I normally search has declined and often makes me shake my head at A. what people will hide, B. what Groundspeak will allow to be hidden, C. it is about numbers; otherwise, who would hide a cache in a Wal-mart parking lot?  What is ever interesting about a Wal-mart parking lot? and lastly, D. to what level am I willing to stoop for a goal?  Currently, I am happy at working toward this goal, which I feel is what it needs to be for anyone.  We have a couple in our area with a lot of hides, almost 900 caches, and they ended their daily caching streak at 10,000+.  They are now second on the all-time COTD.  When it the goal becomes a task or a chore, that's when I'll quit the goal.  Grad school interfered with my ability to cache decently for several years, so now I am trying to make-up for not getting to cache and hide as often.  

I try my best to plan and find my cache earlier in the day rather than later, but I am willing to go out with a flashlight and search.  Currently, I am at 64 days.  I, too, have tried to save the ones closer to home, but sometimes, they are my late-at-night searches.  Also, remember this, when you say Yes to something, you are simultaneously saying No to something else.  If you are fine with "your No," then cache on.  So far, I have made sure it does not interfere or cheat someone else in my family, so that's why I'm happy with the goal.

Edited by flyfshrgrl
  • Upvote 1

**UPDATE**

May 3 - we haven't yet found our COTD today, but we do plan to go out this afternoon and get at least one.  The streak is still alive at 124 days.  We've made our "rules" a bit more strict, in that we have to find a physical cache and sign a log (earlier I had said we would count a Virtual or an Earthcache as a COTD - but there's no log to sign!)  So although it does count as a "find" on my stats, we also do a puzzle, a multi, or a trad as well.

We've solved some local geo-art puzzles, and find them 1 or 2 at a time.  There's an 8 stage multi in a nearby park that involves a few miles of hiking - we've done the first two stages, and picked up a traditional or two along the way.  We may eventually get to the final, and will log the find on that day.

Oh, and it's still fun!  (Most days).  There are enough new caches being published in the area to keep us busy and allow us to find more than one a day.  Some days it is just one, other days we'll cover a bit more ground.  And I can safely throw in a Virtual or Earthcache or Event as an extra find and count a Traditional as my COTD!  It's also fun to see the numbers piling up in my stats, without really being a numbers hound.  It's simply happening, because we are out there, geocaching every day!

31 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

**UPDATE**

May 3 - we haven't yet found our COTD today, but we do plan to go out this afternoon and get at least one.  The streak is still alive at 124 days.  We've made our "rules" a bit more strict, in that we have to find a physical cache and sign a log (earlier I had said we would count a Virtual or an Earthcache as a COTD - but there's no log to sign!)  So although it does count as a "find" on my stats, we also do a puzzle, a multi, or a trad as well.

You'll probably have better luck tomorrow.  May the 4th be with you. 

About five years ago it would have very difficult to find a cache a day (especially after geocaching for 6 years previous) and for the first couple of years I'm not sure I could have made it through a month.  I'd been geocaching a little over a year when my closest unfound cache was 17 miles away (as the crow flies).  That pretty much eliminated geocaching on a lunch break or before I went to work and I just could see adding 30-40 minutes to my > 5 minutes daily "commute".  

Since then there is one local geocacher that has placed well over 300 caches, all identically hidden using the same type of container.   Even if there were enough caches nearby to find a cache a day I'd be reluctant to attempt it as I'd wonder if having a bunch of streakers in the area would provide an incentive for high volume hiders placing caches that serve a purpose for providing a find (without consideration for quality).

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, SicilianCyclops said:

I suppose this would have to be a geographical thing. How can you find a cache when there's a foot or more of snow on the ground? 

We successfully found caches in more than a foot of snow easily. 

Most available during Winter attribute caches here are well above the average yearly snowline.

Some, simple contours show that a hiding spot probably jives with the GPSr.  Fallen log easiest to see for beginners, for example.

We have a hand-held Garret metal detector as well, and even did a product test here somewhere on it's effectiveness.    :)

Also, all it takes is one person/group to find a cache in snow, and until the next big snowfall most anyone watching the listing can choose to followup and track their snow prints right to the cache.

Of course some people know this when finding winter caches and purposefully make loads of tracks all around gz and kick up a lot of snow to try to mislead others (or at least, to reduce the chance of a snow track spoiler) :laughing:

Edited by thebruce0
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We successfully found caches in more than a foot of snow easily. 

Most available during Winter attribute caches here are well above the average yearly snowline.

Some, simple contours show that a hiding spot probably jives with the GPSr.  Fallen log easiest to see for beginners, for example.

We have a hand-held Garret metal detector as well, and even did a product test here somewhere on it's effectiveness.    :)

I should correct myself. Not saying it's not possible, but that would seem like a chore to me - to "have to" trudge through snow to keep a streak alive. But, to each their own. 

I've considered going for it, but like many others have said there are a whole host of issues if you are to attempt it.

The first being that you have to geocache every day. Even when it's snowing, or raining, or you have plans, or you just plain don't want to.

Also, you would probably have to pace yourself. 1 geocache a day, if you intend on spending the last amount of gas money as possible during the challenge, and a lot of planning.

Then there's also the fact that, if you have a demanding job, you may not actually, physically be able to go every day. There are days that I have to work 16-20 hours straight. I would feel pretty frustrated if I broke a 100 or 200 day streak due to forces outside my control. 

Basically, there are a lot of things that can go wrong, and people who have completed the challenge don't seem to enjoy geocaching the same was as they did before. 

100 geocaches in a day, however, is a challenge that I will be trying come this summer. Unlike the 365 day streak, the worst I would lose is a day of summer.

1 hour ago, Stakmaster said:

I would feel pretty frustrated if I broke a 100 or 200 day streak due to forces outside my control. 

Basically, there are a lot of things that can go wrong, and people who have completed the challenge don't seem to enjoy geocaching the same was as they did before. 

It really does depend on each person. Realize that if you start, for any reason you might have to stop. Don't bear yourself up about it if you do.

Whether someone enjoys geocaching or not the same way afterwards is also very dependent on the person. Some would say they've grown a fresh new appreciation for geocaching, others would say they've been burned out and it's lost its sparkle. Who knows. One person's experience may be polar opposite from yours if you do it, so, the worst that can happen is you start, try, and stop someday. :)

Really the key point is just try to have fun doing it. If you're not having fun doing it, then why are you doing it? ;)

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Stakmaster said:

I've considered going for it, but like many others have said there are a whole host of issues if you are to attempt it.

The first being that you have to geocache every day. Even when it's snowing, or raining, or you have plans, or you just plain don't want to.

Also, you would probably have to pace yourself. 1 geocache a day, if you intend on spending the last amount of gas money as possible during the challenge, and a lot of planning.

Then there's also the fact that, if you have a demanding job, you may not actually, physically be able to go every day. There are days that I have to work 16-20 hours straight. I would feel pretty frustrated if I broke a 100 or 200 day streak due to forces outside my control. 

100 geocaches in a day, however, is a challenge that I will be trying come this summer. Unlike the 365 day streak, the worst I would lose is a day of summer.

You may call those issues - I prefer to call them considerations, or challenges.  Yes, we do have to go find a geocache every day.  That's a goal we have set for ourselves for 2018, so I wouldn't call it an issue if that is what we are trying to do!  We do have to plan, at times, when and where we are going to get that COTD to work it in with other committments, or travel itineraries.

We have several nearby, locally, that we are saving for those days we need a quick one - other days we'll go for a hike or travel an hour or so and find a bunch.  We just started doing Wherigo's - so that opens up some new ones nearby and gives us a few more options.

My husband retired 2 months before we embarked on this new geocaching journey, so for us, it's a good way to keep busy in his retirement.  It would have been difficult to maintain a streak if he was working.  And it's still fun at this point.  So we continue ... 139 days and tomorrow is another day!

• Upvote 1

**UPDATE** (for those who are interested)

June 5, day 158, and still enjoying the challenge.  We recently got an FTF on a cache 1 mile from our house at 7:30 in the morning!  Done for the day!  I am happy there are a few new geocachers who are hiding new caches for us to find!  We are also working on some new hides ourselves.

We have a cross country journey coming up in a couple of weeks and will be traveling for 3 weeks with LOTS of new (to us) caches to find.  I'm excited!  The Spot (GC39 in upstate NY) is on our agenda, and we are both hoping to make it our 1000th find.  Got the hotel (a B&B) booked and everything!  We have 3 weeks before then to find 93 (for me) and 107 (for hubby) caches.  I think it will be awesome if we can do this!  It will take a bit of planning but I'm excited about the challenge we are making for ourselves!

**UPDATE**

July 12, day 195 and still caching everyday!  Hubby is starting to tire of the challenge; I want to keep going.  We'll see .. we did manage to keep it up for our 3 week cross country trip.  Even found a cache in NY and then in FL later on the same day!  And we found GC39, The Spot.  It wasn't our #1000, but we have since hit that milestone as well.

Anyone else still going for a cache a day in 2018?  

I made it to 420 something don't care now at the time I did. When you go out to find a LPC when your deathly sick, it is a little obsession. The previous comments of it felt like work is very accurate. What I disliked was it changed my caching behavior. I could only find one in my close area but lets say I had another hour to kill nope got to save them for later. A lot of comments say and I agree some days you simply don't want to go out. Foot of new snow, its 100 degrees out.  The good news about this streak I was able to get most of the streak challenges in the area. So every night I'd try to plan for the next cache with backups got to have backups. Though some were even too crazy for me.

What ever that motivates you to get out I do think is good. As long as you are having fun with your streaking I say good for you. I can't tell you how good a feeling it was to let this one go though it does get hard at times.