Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matefreund

new category? mirroring of great buildings

15 posts in this topic

These are only my first ideas about this new category:

I have a idea for a Waymarking-category: mirroring of great building.

A lot of castles, churches or other (great) buildings have a small lake or moat in front of the building. If you take a photo of the water, you can see a (sometimes wonderful) mirroring of the building or parts of it. Especially, if you rotate the photo later at the computer.

-> 2 pictures: Amsterdam - buildings at Prinsengracht / Leipzig - Völkerschlachtdenkmal

Please give me a first feedback for this idea!

Greetings an Happy New Year. :)

matefreund

Amsterdam Prinsengracht 2016 2.JPG

Völkerschlachtdenkmal 2.JPG

Edited by matefreund

Could this idea be a waymark within the Photo Goals category?

Similar to some of my photos where I include my reflection, but not worthy of it's own category.:)

I like the idea. I think there is a part of Waymarking about "Phantasia", like this. Difficult to define "great buildings" though.

2 hours ago, elyob said:

Could this idea be a waymark within the Photo Goals category?

Photo Goals is about the "challenge for people to DO things". To take a photo of the water in front of a building isn't a challenge. So, I think they wouldn't approve this kind of waymarks in their category.

It is challenging to take a photo in a reflecting pond of something, and have someone else know what that something was (or maybe that's just us trying to take art pictures in the stiff Texas breezes LOL). 

I think this could be a BRILLIANT photo goal :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Now, if you included nature, you might have something. Witness:

b581907e-a1a8-42b3-b218-a814124cb772.jpg

On 12/30/2017 at 7:43 AM, Manville Possum said:

Similar to some of my photos where I include my reflection, but not worthy of its own category.:)

Yeah - we have lots of these. The really bad ones we save and put in a GOOFS file.

Keith

Of course.. nature could also be include. But how could i define the structure. Maybe it should names only "mirroring". 

All structure could be include if they are bigger than a tree, fixed and in public. What do you say?

3 hours ago, matefreund said:

All structure could be include if they are bigger than a tree

"bigger than a tree" is subjective, we have a maple tree that is about 60+ feet tall and a young spruce in the front yard that is about 6 feet. 

There are two things I would like to know:

1. Wouldn't it be a problem, if the water is frozen or strong wind ruffles the surface of the water? Also think about rain, fog etc.
  2. Don't you think that we will gain a lot of waymarks with boring landscapes and/or structures? What exactly is a "great building"?

6 hours ago, matefreund said:

Of course.. nature could also be include. But how could i define the structure. Maybe it should names only "mirroring". 

Sure, just go with something simple like Marvelous Mirroring, or Resplendent Reflections.

1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

There are two things I would like to know:

1. Wouldn't it be a problem, if the water is frozen or strong wind ruffles the surface of the water? Also think about rain, fog etc.
  2. Don't you think that we will gain a lot of waymarks with boring landscapes and/or structures? What exactly is a "great building"?

1. Just stay home on cold, windy, rainy or foggy days. :rolleyes:

2. Set some (subjective) standards. If it ain't really interesting or really pretty, decline it.

Keith

Probably wouldn't be worthy of a waymark category, especially since it is really sunny, there could be a lot of glare, and you couldn't see the reflection. Good idea though!

We've just been talking about this category and both feel that, though it could often be a tough or disappointing category, on a windy day, for example, it is a worthy category as it offers the possibility for some  really spectacular photography.

Keith

While I really like this idea, I think it would be better as a Photo Goal than as a stand alone category.